This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Repeat Offender

I’ve written about this hag before. She’s one of the repeat offenders at our store; in several times a week, persnickety about everything, coupon crazy, absolutely certain you’re ripping her off. Well, she came in yesterday and yours truly had to deal with her.

She came up to my register with a cart full of hand sanitizers that were on clearance for 50¢ each. She insisted that there were thirty of them, but I have to scan each and every one of them. She also had some fabric and two photo boxes, which she hemmed and hawed over before deciding which one.

So, I’m scanning the hand sanitizers and instead of putting them all on the counter at once, she’ll put up five, nine, seven or three of them at a time, often in my “scanned” pile. But I got through all of them; she actually had about sixty-five of them. I scanned her coupon, told her the total, she paid and went to sit on our wheelchair that we have at the other end of the counter.

I think nothing more of her and ring a few more customers up. I’ve got a small line and am working steadily through it when I see her coming back to my register. I know she’s got trouble on her mind and immediately call a manager over to deal with her. Manager doesn’t show up yet. The hag cuts in line in front of a customer who’s too polite to tell her to go to the back, and insists that I rang her up wrong and owe her $10! I told her that I’d have to have a manager take care of her. Assistant Manager comes up and I pawn her off on her.

I can almost hear them both from where I’m still ringing up other customers, the hag is really griping about something and the AM is trying to check her order. Turns out I did overcharge her…by 50¢. Which could have easily happened if I’d accidentally double-rung a hand sanitizer. Hag is not convinced, insists on having the entire order re-rung. So AM has to refund the first order and then re-ring everything. Yep, still only 50¢ off, not the $10 she said. Hag and AM go back and forth, hag sounds like she is complaining and AM is talking very sternly to her. Finally hag pays and leaves. I glance over at the AM after hag left and AM is stabbing the air violently with a pencil, like Norman Bates attacking Janet Leigh in the shower!

AM and I turned out to be scheduled for the same break time, so I told her to go ahead and take hers first, she more than earned it. Later we talk about what happened. Like I said, the hag’s a repeat offender and everyone in the store finds her as irritating as burlap underwear. AM told me all the crap hag said about me, saying I’m stupid and incompetent and shouldn’t be in customer service, and AM told her off for that. I apologized for foisting her off on her and told her I owed her a drink!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Ha! She was trying to scam a discount. How could she possibly think she only had 30 bottles when she actually had 65? She was hoping you'd take her word for how many there were, and when you foiled that by scanning each one, she thought of this other scheme to try to get some money back. Bitch.

And lastly, who the hell buys 65 bottles of hand sanitizer?? Woman needs to get a life!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      And lastly, who the hell buys 65 bottles of hand sanitizer?? Woman needs to get a life!
      And Lo! On that day was a great cleansening, with which the unclean were purged, and illnesses prevented!

Pssssh, they're never going to leave the cabinet beneath her sink.
      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        She also had some fabric and two photo boxes, which she hemmed and hawed over before deciding which one.
        Arg! The register (or cutting counter) is not the place to decide if you want to buy something. It's the place you actually buy it. If you decided not to buy it, just say "sorry, I decided against this." XCashier, I don't know if you've ever done this, but it can often be really funny. When the line is really long and someone is wasting everyone's time by debating an item, I'll look up and watch the people waiting. I don't make a face, I just glance up. Most are actively trying to glare my slow SC to death. Or they'll look at me and roll their eyes like "omg, what's her problem." I appreciate that the majority of people can see who is problem, and that it isn't me.

I mostly work the cutting counter, and I haaaate when I hand a person their slip and they just stand there looking at it. Just ask, if you have a question, or move. I have no problem going over a slip, I understand it can be confusing but just hanging out taking up space isn't cool. Also, the one's who walk away, pour over the slip, then barge back like an enraged cow "this was supposed to be on sale! there was a sign!" You know, when people act like that it makes me want to help them less. Act nice and I'll help them more. It's not a hard concept. Well, I guess I am on this board...

PS, bonus points for sneaking in a comment about burlap.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          She's also a hoarder. I've seen her car; with all the junk she has piled up to the roof in there, there's barely enough room for her! I'd hate to see the state of her house.
          Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          I don't know if you've ever done this, but it can often be really funny. When the line is really long and someone is wasting everyone's time by debating an item, I'll look up and watch the people waiting. I don't make a face, I just glance up. Most are actively trying to glare my slow SC to death. Or they'll look at me and roll their eyes like "omg, what's her problem." I appreciate that the majority of people can see who is problem, and that it isn't me.
          My customers just yell at me to hurry up or call another cashier.
          Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          PS, bonus points for sneaking in a comment about burlap.
          I've always wanted to take a poll of all the workers in our company to find out which fabric is the most hated. I'd bet money it's the burlap.
          Last edited by XCashier; 09-26-2015, 02:10 AM.
          My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I buy hand sanitizer by the Gallon. Of course I am a prepper of sorts.

The hand sanitizer jugs go in a 5-gallon bucket along with "Heavy Duty" trash bags and toilet paper. That bucket becomes an emergency toilet if water goes out (or other such emergency where toilets are scarce).
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Any chance you can give her the ban-hammer?

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                Use Maxwells's.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                  Most of us have been wanting to for years, but I don't know my company's policy of banning people. The store manager is aware of this woman, and I'm sure would ban her if she were able to.
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    A reseller? I'm not sure but every weekend my boy and I hit a flea market there's always one or two tables full of personal care items like soap n stuff that I can guarantee is an extreme couponer making some extra cash.

Comment

... instead of putting them all on the counter at once, she’ll put up five, nine, seven or three of them at a time, often in my “scanned” pile.
                      This bit seemed really important to me on this one Sounds to me like she was -- at BEST -- trying to trick you into mis-scanning so she'd have something to complain about, and possibly trying to steal product.

I was imagining you telling her not to do it. This would then be followed by her saying that she has no way of knowing how this sort of thing works (yeah right)...And then you come in with the coup de grace, asking her (raised eyebrow optional) if she has ever shopped at a grocery store before...
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        From a news item the other day, apparently many hand sanitizers are just jelled alcohol.

Which means that you can drink them and get drunk. You can also OD on them.

So my guess is that she figures it's cheaper than booze.

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                          A reseller? I'm not sure but every weekend my boy and I hit a flea market there's always one or two tables full of personal care items like soap n stuff that I can guarantee is an extreme couponer making some extra cash.
                          This would be my guess. That or a hoarder, take your pick.

Either way, it does read like she was intentionally trying to get a discount and got busted by both the OP and the AM. Therefore, she tried to shift the focus of "blame" onto them.

Too bad she hasn't been banned yet. I'd suspect they'd have a party in that store if that day ever comes.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                            From a news item the other day, apparently many hand sanitizers are just jelled alcohol.

Which means that you can drink them and get drunk. You can also OD on them.

So my guess is that she figures it's cheaper than booze.
                            Well some doomsday preppers stock up big supplies of hand sanitizer not only for the fact that it is a way to conserve water but it can be used as a fuel or weapon even if it is expired.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                              it can be used as a weapon even if it is expired.
                              Really?

I am so using this in my next D&D game then.

Comment

Working...
                              X