This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet problems

My last call on Friday was a woman that was calling in with internet problems. I pulled up the readings and it shows that the internet just reset and had been online for 30 seconds. I ask her to please reset her computer to reconnect to the internet. She screams at me that her internet is down. I explain to her that the internet just came back up and she needed to restart her computer to reconnect. She tells me that I am not listening to her that her internet is down and she wants a manager because I am stupid. Too bad the manager I got was one of the softies that gives the customer anything they want.

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
    My last call on Friday was a woman that was calling in with internet problems. I pulled up the readings and it shows that the internet just reset and had been online for 30 seconds. I ask her to please reset her computer to reconnect to the internet. She screams at me that her internet is down. I explain to her that the internet just came back up and she needed to restart her computer to reconnect. She tells me that I am not listening to her that her internet is down and she wants a manager because I am stupid. Too bad the manager I got was one of the softies that gives the customer anything they want.
    Wha??? Huh???

Hell, even the softest managers at my center won't do jack for the customer for something that clearly has NOTHING to do with our company. YOU won't restart your computer to restore service? Too bad, so sad, you get nothing.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Reminds me of the kids at my store who lay down on their belly and kick/punch the floor, turn a hideous shade of red, and make noises that belong in a horror movie.

Only I assume this person wasn't five. =/

Comment

My wireless connection on my laptop sometimes futzes out on me and I cannot get connected. All I do is disconnect from wifi and then re-connect. Problem solved. But I guess for some people even that is too much :/

Comment

I occasionally run into a need to reboot the laptop to get wifi back. NBD, really.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Heck, if you have Windows 2000 or later, all you have to do is go to Network Connections, disable the connection, then wait a minute and enable it again.

If you've got a router between the computer and the modem, you might need to shut *that* down and restart it.

I've had the internet go out for various reasons 4 or 5 times in the last six months, and I never had to reboot any of the computers.

Worst was when I swapped out the old modem for the "new improved" one. Had to reboot the modem and the router a couple of times before they were happy with each other.

Only reboots I ever do are after the power goes out (movers lost my UPS and I can't afford a replacement). Oh, and occasionally when Windows gets totally locked up.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              I occasionally run into a need to reboot the laptop to get wifi back. NBD, really.
              Me too. All I have to do is click on my icon on the taskbar, select my network, select disconnect, then once it's disconnected, click on connect.

NBD at all. Shit happens on occasion . . . just make sure you have an umbrella and a good pair of tall boots.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The worst I've ever had to do is restart WICD or wpa_supplicant, but never the computer.

Comment

I was having issues with Xfinity internet going down and not reconnecting so several minutes several times a day.

Then we got something in the mail along with our monthly bill. Tips to improve our wireless internet experience. Or something. Anyway, one of the tips was to move the modem away from the TV.

Guess where the modem had been? Next to the TV.

Haven't had any issues since we did that.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    I was having issues with Xfinity internet going down and not reconnecting so several minutes several times a day.

Then we got something in the mail along with our monthly bill. Tips to improve our wireless internet experience. Or something. Anyway, one of the tips was to move the modem away from the TV.

Guess where the modem had been? Next to the TV.

Haven't had any issues since we did that.
                    Last winter when we finally got our internet speed corrected, the last tech who came out not only figured out the wiring underneath had been spliced, but I had already moved the router from the front bedroom to the dining room (center of the house) and was still experiencing issues w/signal strength.

Tech suggested moving the router to an unused outlet that has recently been installed. Last one we had installed was on the wall behind our microwave in the kitchen.

Moved the router to a shelf over the outlet, plugged everything in and the signal has been fine since.

Yet had to call Thursday afternoon after we finally made it home from the eye doctor . . . router had a red light flashing. Turned out we not only had a outage in our area that was being worked on, but our land line had so much static and buzzing I could barely hear the automated help system. Took almost 2 hours before the connection finally came up - even though the recording said the estimated time would be around 5:13 pm on October 10 before it would be restored.

As far as the buzzing and static: the recent heavy rains have affected our land line service. Mom also had to call and report the problem on the home phone service yesterday b/c it had gotten much worse (you know it's bad when your doctor's office calls and you have to scream at the nurse to call your cell phone b/c you can't hear over the buzzing.)
                    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 10-11-2015, 03:49 AM.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X