Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rich granny stealing for her grandson - special snowflake edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still pretty sure she knew what she was doing, it was very organized how she did it. Plus, display items are not in any means mint condition. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between an item just removed from the box and an item that has been handled by tons of shoppers.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
      I have known some elderly people who honestly forgot to pay. I mean that literally, they got the item and walked out the door, forgetting to stop at the cash register.
      I did that once, and I'm not old. I'm just unbelievably scatterbrained. My short-term memory is absolutely horrible. It's been that way all of my life. It's not uncommon for me to be driving down the highway, and think to myself, "I have to stop off at the ATM", which was off the next exit, and then blow right past the thing not even five minutes later. My long-term memory is great. I can describe in detail the place we lived in when I was three years old, but I can't remember what I did with my car keys five minutes ago.

Thankfully, I only ever forgot to pay one time, and nothing bad came out of it. There's a K-mart in my area, which I'm surprised is still around. They keep cutting down on items they carry, and I can't even begin to count how many times I went there looking for what I thought was a very common item, only to find out they don't carry it. In this case, I went there looking for three items. I don't remember what, but that's not really important. I found the first two items without a problem, but couldn't find the third one.

I walked over to the service desk to ask if they carried the missing item, and they said they did not. So I walked out, forgetting about the other two items I still had in my hand, and hadn't paid for. I got halfway to the car before I realized it. My heart stopped for a second, and I quickly turned around and went back in, worried that someone was about to come out after me.

I went back to the desk, all embarrassed, and explained what happened. Not only did they not realize I had walked out with unpaid items, they were surprised I came back in.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
        I have known some elderly people who honestly forgot to pay. I mean that literally, they got the item and walked out the door, forgetting to stop at the cash register.
        Not especially an "elderly" thing, but I've lost count of the number of customers who don't finish putting their order through at the pinpad, and have to be called back. Usually they didnt push a button, or sign it, or something.

Comment

I've stopped keeping track of how many people walk off after inputting a debit card PIN...the Finish And Pay button drops the pinpad into the "Cash back?" screen, meaning anyone could get cashback on their card and they would likely have no clue. I have no idea if it ever times out, or just leaves the card session open until the transaction is completed (probably the latter).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I am going to have to bring up a matter of point here. While the lady was a SC, and took a display item that she wasn't supposed to off the display, this is by no means stealing. She didn't try to walk out of the store with it without paying. In fact she made a point of trying to pay for it albeit at a lower price.

Comment

Quoth CaptainThrifty View Post
              I am going to have to bring up a matter of point here. While the lady was a SC, and took a display item that she wasn't supposed to off the display, this is by no means stealing. She didn't try to walk out of the store with it without paying. In fact she made a point of trying to pay for it albeit at a lower price.
              If she walked out the door with it, she stole it, period. Trying to negotiate a lower price before taking it doesn't count.

But the story doesn't make it clear that she took it out of the store or not. Was the item left behind?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                So I walked out, forgetting about the other two items I still had in my hand, and hadn't paid for. I got halfway to the car before I realized it. My heart stopped for a second, and I quickly turned around and went back in, worried that someone was about to come out after me.

I went back to the desk, all embarrassed, and explained what happened. Not only did they not realize I had walked out with unpaid items, they were surprised I came back in.
                Some years back my mother and I spent a few days in Glasgow. We went to scatter her father's ashes and spend some time in the city he grew up in. It was very nice in a sad way.

On one of the days we had lunch in a very nice cafe. We ate and left, the waitress even waved cheerfully at us as we left. We were walking for about 2 minutes when my mother asked how much the food was.

I thought she had paid. She thought I had paid. We turned and sprinted back.

(No idea how Glasgow has a reputation as unfriendly and "hard". Apart from that incident I also managed to accidentally hit a man in a very intimate area, with a bag containing a 2 litre bottle of drink - he staggered away saying it was "no problem". I think Glasgow is a wonderful city).

Comment

Quoth CaptainThrifty View Post
                  You mean at the service desk when she verbally harassed the person to do a $15 service on "her" $75 item for free because she's "important"?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Was the item left behind?
                    No, the item left the store that day. It was not paid for. She paid for her later purchases but not the main item she originally gave her grandson. Security was generally shocked and disgusted when they did their investigation.
                    Last edited by flyonthewall; 10-01-2015, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X