Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The urge of the younger generations to get sh*tfaced as often and as soon as possible baffles me.

I made a conscious decision to NOT be like everyone else, and even if an opportunity was provided to me in the privacy of my own home-- my parents offering me a beer or a drink for Thanksgiving-- I turned it down, because I was going to wait until I turned 21, thank you.

My Dad admitted to me, when he took me to a bar for my first beer on my 21st birthday, "I don't understand why you'd limit yourself the way you did, but kudos to you for sticking to your conviction."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I have never drank, for the simple reason that I don't like the taste of alcohol. Beer tastes AWFUL. Just dreadful. I could understand why people willingly become drunkards if alcohol was as delicious as orange soda pop, but on the very few occasions I've attempted to drink beer, I've always struggled to finish an entire can. It's a mystery to me.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        I have never drank, for the simple reason that I don't like the taste of alcohol. Beer tastes AWFUL. Just dreadful.
        I feel the same way about coffee.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
          (Wince) No, it isn't. And my apologies for the bad joke.
          Oh, no, no offense taken. He knew what he was, and where it would lead.

My uncle actually kind of got the last laugh.

You see, he died on the other coast, and his kids had him cremated. They told Mom (his sister) that they were sending his ashes back, but didn't mention how. Mom thought nothing of it, and got a bit of a surprise one day when a UPS package showed up on the doorstep.

Yep, my uncle came home UPS!

We've been laughing about it for YEARS.

Note: UPS does not and never has allowed the shipment of human remains. The USPS appears to be the only shipper who does so, though you have to use high price services.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I have never drank, for the simple reason that I don't like the taste of alcohol. Beer tastes AWFUL. Just dreadful. I could understand why people willingly become drunkards if alcohol was as delicious as orange soda pop, but on the very few occasions I've attempted to drink beer, I've always struggled to finish an entire can. It's a mystery to me.
            I suppose one develops a tolerance for it after a while. But, as a general rule, most folks don't drink beer for the taste. They drink for the effect, and/or to prove they can.
            Television has convinced most folks that beer tastes 'great', when in reality, it's just different degrees of yuck. And you know how movies and television glorify excessive drinking.

Comment

I don't drink much because alcohol makes me sleepy. I'm the least fun a drunk can possibly be.

So when I do drink, it's at home so I can crash out if I feel like it.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post

Note: UPS does not and never has allowed the shipment of human remains. The USPS appears to be the only shipper who does so, though you have to use high price services.
                When my Grandpa passed in the mid 70s the funeral home mailed the cremains to Grandma (Manhattan to the Bronx) via regular 3rd class US mail, nothing special IIRC.

My family has a funny story about that too, but I don't want to thread jack.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I don't drink much because alcohol makes me sleepy. I'm the least fun a drunk can possibly be.

So when I do drink, it's at home so I can crash out if I feel like it.
                  Right? Although I would like to submit myself as competition for least fun drunk. You know that pleasant tipsy feeling? I go from nothing, to feeling sick, and skip the fun tipsiness. Oh, and then I'm sick and sleepy. I don't usually throw up, though. Just once, on tequila, and I have never had a hangover. (I'm sorry, Bilious!) I mean, I with sometimes drink when it goes with the food, you know? Wine that goes with a meal, or a pina colada with Mexican food, that sort of thing.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Well, there's your problem. Beer looks, smells and tastes like it's already made its way through a digestive system. If you want to try social drinking, either try a good quality fruit cider or schnapps with a complementing mixer; I used to make boozy cherry coke by having cherry schnapps and coke.

My social drinking had a purpose. I used to drink to improve my snooker and pool game. This isn't a joke; we tracked my games for several months and I consistently performed better when I was tipsy. As far as we could tell it was because I was more relaxed so my follow through was better, plus I didn't over-think my angles.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                      I suppose one develops a tolerance for it after a while. But, as a general rule, most folks don't drink beer for the taste. They drink for the effect, and/or to prove they can.
                      Television has convinced most folks that beer tastes 'great', when in reality, it's just different degrees of yuck. And you know how movies and television glorify excessive drinking.
                      Well, to be fair, while that might be true for the "mainstream" American beers like Budweiser or Miller, the US does have some options for tasty beer, as well. I do fondly remember Sam Adams from my last visit to the US, for instance.

Not to mention that other countries - like my native Germany - produce a wide range of different beers that actually taste good. We're quite proud of that
                      You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        (I'm sorry, Bilious!)
                        YOU UTTER UTTER BASTARD!

(...Hogfather is still my favorite of his books)
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          (...Hogfather is still my favorite of his books)
                          And my favorite of his movies.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We've had to remove a couple of posts in here, guys. Discussing the topic at hand is fine, but if you wanna go into an outright debate, or get even remotely personal about it, either start a thread on Fratching or take it to a Private Message session. The public board here is not the place.

Thank you. We now return you to our thread, already in progress.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Can I see your ID, sir?
                              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

If you need proof of my identity, I wrote my name on my underwear. Oh wait, these aren't mine!
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X