This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I am "unpleasant"

Ok quick question: if you had to pick one circumstance, and one only, in which it was ok for a hotel clerk to shout at guests, what would it be? Would it be a fracking EMERGENCY? If so, you're smarter than one of my guests, who bitched in a survey about my yelling instructions during a FIRE ALARM (same one as in my Full Moon thread). I was raising my voice only loud enough to be heard over the blarring sirens, but apparently telling people to get out of a potentially burning building was "unpleasent." I guess burning to death is more fun?

Fourtunatly, my boss, though very guest focused, does have a working BS detector.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I would think that yelling during a fire alarm would be okay. Yelling when the guest is elderly and can't hear well is also ok. Not in SC Land tho.
    Me: So Breakfast is there.
    Old man: What?!?!
    Me: SO BREAKFAST IS OVER THEREEEE
    Old Man: *wrinkles nose* Why you have to shout! *writes nasty review on TA*
    Manager: *makes HM watch more CS video*
    ME: T_T
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
      Manager: *makes HM watch more CS video*
      ME: T_T
      That's torture! I had to watch those during my retail days, usually once every month or two as part of all-store meetings. Every one of them was so unrealistic, they made Star Wars look like a documentary.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
        apparently telling people to get out of a potentially burning building was "unpleasent." I guess burning to death is more fun?
        No, they'll complain about that as well.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

That's torture! I had to watch those during my retail days, usually once every month or two as part of all-store meetings. Every one of them was so unrealistic, they made Star Wars look like a documentary.
          LOL. I've had to watch the videos during training, but I actually liked the safety video.

It had "Safety Sam" who demonstrated that meth lab chemicals are explosive by the creative use of a lighter. Then at the end, it was revealed Sam Sheldon (or whatever his last name was) had died 5 years previous due to not following lockout/taggout procedures and his ghost was going around doing safety trainings in order to save others from his fate. It was the best official safety vid I've been shown.
          Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-25-2015, 04:59 PM.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Briefly.
            I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
            In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

You could give a choking customer the Heimlich maneuver and they'd _still_ find a reason to complain...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                You could give a choking customer the Heimlich maneuver and they'd _still_ find a reason to complain...
                Yore employee hugged me too tight!

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                  Me: So Breakfast is there.
                  Old man: What?!?!
                  Me: SO BREAKFAST IS OVER THEREEEE
                  Old Man: *wrinkles nose* Why you have to shout! *writes nasty review on TA*
                  This is going to be my husband in 10 years. He already does it to me sometimes.

I apologize in advance. I plan to teach him ASL because it's not like his hearing is going to get better.

Comment

There's a german forklift safety video that's amazing.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

If people had any self preservation you wouldn't need to yell because people would have heard the sirens and left the building. You know, on their own. Because they heard the siren and wanted to be safe. But no, they were apparently still inside, which meant that you had to yell. See how this works?

Every time I've been in a building when the fire alarm went off it's been a false alarm or drill. Yet we still always left the building, so it's not like it's unprecedented.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

To be fair, yelling at a hearing impaired person (especially if said person has a hearing aid) isn't actually helpful. It causes echos and resonance, which makes it harder to understand (I was taught this when I did elder care). Instead it's a good idea to look straight at them, and speak slowly and slightly louder than normal. Many older folks and people of any age with mild hearing loss have developed lip-reading skills without being fully aware of it.

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                          There's a german forklift safety video that's amazing.
                          You must mean Staplerfahrer Klaus. I find it to be hilarious.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                            I guess burning to death is more fun?
                            Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            Or in the case of a REALLY SC, complaining about being hanged. The accused person's response: "No, I didn't hang him, but I'd be glad to do it - and he won't bitch about it the next day". Cookies for reference.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth computeraide View Post
                              Yore employee hugged me too tight!
                              You cracked a rib! I'M SUING!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X