Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your friend is officially awesome! All I gotta say!
    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
      With the possible exception of Canada. We use the US spellings all the time up here, I never know how to spell anything. (Is it X? Is it Y? Is it either? Crap, I need to be consistent, don't I!)
      That's pert of the fun!. We can interchange between the two types of spelling and never get in trouble for it.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

our friend was indeed, an epic winner.

Aside... were the minions as funny as I hope they will be?
        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
          I'm going to have to go to your theater. Nothing ever happens at my local cinema, people actually behave (if you can believe that).
          Same here. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Quoth Magpie View Post
          With the possible exception of Canada. We use the US spellings all the time up here, I never know how to spell anything. (Is it X? Is it Y? Is it either? Crap, I need to be consistent, don't I!)
          Maybe this depends on the person/region? I have a few Canadian friends who always use the British spellings. Mostly those blasted extra u's.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            ...Maybe this depends on the person/region? I have a few Canadian friends who always use the British spellings. Mostly those blasted extra u's.
            Eh? U? ... Brute!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Maybe this depends on the person/region? I have a few Canadian friends who always use the British spellings. Mostly those blasted extra u's.
              That's the way things are supposed to be spelt in English. Can't blame us if you can only read in American.

It was your ancestors, after all, that decided to butcher the Oxford English dictionary because they wanted to belabour the point that they were No Longer British.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Actually, my ancestors were German and only came to this country after WWI. The spelling rules were pretty well established by then.

ETA: Have you ever read really, really Ye Olde English? It makes text speak look easy to decipher.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Depends largely on the person. Most Canadians don't omit the u's though. It's the s vs z vs c that really gets me. My major problem is that my textbooks are generally from the States. "Gage" is a horribly confusing set of letters, as far as I'm concerned. But I see it so often that when I write "gauge" I think I'm talking about something else.

Actually, my ancestors were German and only came to this country after WWI. The spelling rules were pretty well established by then.

ETA: Have you ever read really, really Ye Olde English? It makes text speak look easy to decipher.
                  But... if you speak German should the really old English not be that bad? (I'm assuming you're talking earlier than Chaucer.)

Comment

Yeah, I'm talking "hey look, we have a written language now" old English. And I only speak about *this much* German, so it's not a huge help to me. Although I can usually spell much better in German than I can in English. No silent letters FTW!

Comment

Again, I'll spell Theatre my way. And as I am more dramatic theatre person than movies, I guess it'll work.

Comment

Found a book at a car boot sale that had Ye Olde English(TM) on the left page & the modern English translation on the right page. Gave myself several headaches trying to match the two up, & spent a lot of time in the library with a dictionary trying to work out what the hell they were talking about (there's a lot of words in English that have fallen out of use or changed their meaning over the centuries). Gave up in the end & gave it to a charity shop. I only have so much life in me, & I'll never read everything I want to before I die.
                        Last edited by greek_jester; 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM. Reason: what is with me lately? can't spell for toffee
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

My method of spelling--

Theater -- Movies, cinema, films, etc.

Theatre -- Plays, stage shows, etc.

(And a special screw you to my spell-check, which is trying to tell me I'm spelling "theatre" wrong. I ignore your wiggly red lines!)
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                          X