This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEATH TO KID-SIZED SHOPPING CARTS

You know those tiny little shopping carts some grocery stores have, so kids can push them around and fill them with stuff they want and think they're "helping" mom with the grocery shopping?

Those need to fall off a bridge. Because thanks to a little girl, her inattentive mom, and one of those carts, I will soon be sporting an impressive bruise on my lower leg and ankle thanks to the girl hitting me with one of those little carts at a full run.

Mom apologized...sort of, and I told her it was okay, but rest assured I was thinking things that cannot be repeated here, what with the board's policy against nasty names for children.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I agree with you on this one. I've been hit quite a few times by these things. Hopefully your bruise goes away soon.

Comment

Feel free however to use all the nasty names you want for the Mom. Cause my kids used those carts all the time and they knew the rule was they had to walk, and be careful. They didn't want to 'break' someone. (I told them some people break bones easier than others, and what was a bump to them could really hurt someone else very much.)

After all, when it comes right down to it. The kid wasn't at fault as much as the parent who didnt ensure she behaved properly

Comment

Some of us Moms think they should be tossed off a cliff, too.

My son really does want to help, but as soon as he gets one he's off and running to go get the things he knows I need. I've put my foot down and ruled that they can never be used, but now I've got to hear the fussing when he sees other kids using them (the fussing's not too bad, though, since my kids know not to push it with me).
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I saw them way back when the local store opened, but they weren't around for very long. I guess you're not the only one who hates those things.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Our store had them for the longest time. They finally pulled them out of the stores about two years ago after we were sued. Too many parents were letting their kids run with them, and then one day a kid crashed into the knees of an elderly lady. I don't know what it cost them, but I heard they settled with the lady out of court.

I think a better way to handle it would have been to have a store policy that said if your kid is caught running with the cart, store staff will take it from him or her. But you know how managers are these days, they would rather take it away from all the kids instead of grow a spine and stand up to the parents of the bad kids.

Comment

While the company I work for doesn't utilise them, the store near home has a different system. They're basically cozy coupes with a small shopping trolley on the back so the kids can drive around while mum/dad shops.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                While the company I work for doesn't utilise them, the store near home has a different system. They're basically cozy coupes with a small shopping trolley on the back so the kids can drive around while mum/dad shops.
                That sounds even worse.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The ones I have seen the kids don't steer the cart the parents do. It is basically a mobile sit down play area build into the cart
                  If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean View Post
                    The ones I have seen the kids don't steer the cart the parents do. It is basically a mobile sit down play area build into the cart
                    trust me when you can tell mom has a hell raiser and the mere taking the child out of the car will excite screams those carts are nice. my favorite store has them. my dad like kids and remembers the joys of miss i get distracted by shiney things and get lost aka me. one mom told him she could only shop there when she couldnt get a sitter because the only thing that stop her 4 year old was the car on the cart.

Comment

Sorry that was the type I was referring to. Basically there's a trolley on the BACK of the cart along with some handles so mum/dad steers, while the kids pile in the front and pretend that they're driving.

Comment

^^^ http://marketingenious.terapad.com/r...race%20car.jpg

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        Those need to fall off a bridge. Because thanks to a little girl, her inattentive mom, and one of those carts, I will soon be sporting an impressive bruise on my lower leg and ankle thanks to the girl hitting me with one of those little carts at a full run.
                        I was behind a kid in a store. She jumped and kicked back and kicked me right in the knee. Being unaware she was going to do this, i let out a rather loud howl. The father just kind of looked at me, the kid apologized. She must take after her mother.
                        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

As much as I would love to keep my kids entertained when I shop...I can barely push one of those things around. Theyre so hard and bulky.

Comment

ooo i was thinkign of the same item then...
                            yeah that could be bulky though

of course my fav store also has half-carts
                            so i can easily see parents letting an older child push the cart for them, as a learning experience
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by PepperElf; 08-09-2010, 03:41 AM.

Comment

That's pretty close except that instead of a proper trolley, it's a smaller trolley built into the back, about the same size as three of those old lady trolleys alongside one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X