This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you get one up on an SC (long)

So, one of the perks of working for a small independent business is that you don't have a huge company policy regarding customer service and the SC's have no customer services/complaints department they can call when they don't get their own way. Also the only person we answer to is the business owner, who is awkward at best and positively evil at worst. And mostly he will stick up for us against the SC's. Here are a few examples (sorry its a bit long, I will try and keep them a bit shorter where possible).

1. Lady comes into the store after having her watch battery changed by us the previous week. We always tell our customers that we do not tank test watches and therefore the water-resistance is not guaranteed once the battery has been changed. She comes storming in and shouts at us that she has worn her watch in the shower and it has filled up with water! We explained about the water resistance again and offered to have the watch and dry it out for her but that wasn't good enough, she starts with the personal insults ("did you even go to school?" "I'm surprised YOU even managed to get a job" etc). She then stands in the middle of our shop and refuses to leave until the boss calls her. I ring him, give him her mobile phone number and he calls her instantly, while she is still in the shop. The conversation goes like this:
    SC: Hello, I want to complain about your staff, they are useless and rude and THEY have ruined my watch.
    Boss: Well who's the f***ing numpty that wore their watch in the shower?
    SC: How DARE you speak to me like that?? I am a customer!!
    Boss: I'll speak to you how I want. get out of my shop.
    SC goes to leave then turns to us and says "you haven't heard the last of this. You don't know who my husband is!"
    We stand there and wave her out the door. She never came back. We still don't know who her husband is.

2. A man comes in with an expensive watch that needs a battery. I explain the water resistance thing to him and he says it's fine, it doesn't go anywhere near water. I tell him I can do it no problem but he will need to leave it with me an hour or so as it is quite a fiddly job and also we are quite busy with customers etc. The guy instantly turns into an SC, looks me up and down pausing at my chest area as if to be sure I am a woman whilst looking absolutely horrified (for some reason we find that the older generation struggle to come to terms with women working in the jewellery industry) then laughs. The conversation that followed:
    SC: YOU will not be able to do this watch. I have tried to do it and I can't so there is no way on earth that YOU will be able to do it (still laughing)
    Me: I have worked on these watches before sir and I can assure you i will be able to do it.
    SC. No you wont you will have to send it away.
    Me: Sir, I can do it here.
    SC: NO YOU CAN'T!
    Me: Ok fine, if you would prefer I can send it to our watch makers but it will be considerably more expensive and it will be away for a couple of weeks.
    SC: Very well you can do it here then.
    Me: No I can't.
    SC: But you said you could.
    Me: Yes and you doubted my ability so now I am not prepared to do it.
    SC grabs watch and storms out of the shop, and throws in a "well f**k you then" and the top of his lungs for good measure.

I know it seems petty but sometimes getting small victories over SCs really brightens up my day.
    Hope I haven't bored you all too much, I will post more soon

Quoth Dizzy_1986 View Post
    And mostly he will stick up for us against the SC's. Here are a few examples (sorry its a bit long, I will try and keep them a bit shorter where possible).
    A story about a manager who sticks up for their employees is never too long.

And welcome to Customers Suck.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

... You don't know who my husband is!...
      Bad_Dizzy: "No, I don't. I do feel a great outwelling of pity for him, however."
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        A story about a manager who sticks up for their employees is never too long.

And welcome to Customers Suck.
        Not to mention a story about an employee getting one up on a SC/EW. Great job!

to
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm guessing her husband agreed with your boss on the stupidity of wearing a watch in the shower.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had to look up "Numpty." What a glorious word. It even sounds like what it means. May start using that at work, since it is practically unknown on this side of the pond (I wouldn't say it to customer's faces, mind you, but just use it for a little innocent griping in the breakroom).
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
              I had to look up "Numpty." What a glorious word. It even sounds like what it means.
              It is a wonderful word, isn't it? It's one of my favourites when someone's made an amusing and harmless mistake and, if I'm honest, I've often directed it towards myself.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Boss: Well who's the f***ing numpty that wore their watch in the shower?
                Your boss rocks!
                Quoth dalesys View Post
                Bad_Dizzy: "No, I don't [know who your husband is]. I do feel a great outwelling of pity for him, however."
                I wish I could say that to certain deserving customers without getting in trouble!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I'm guessing her husband agreed with your boss on the stupidity of wearing a watch in the shower.
                  well, i know a watch that can be safely taken in the shower, however, it's a) designed to be used while scuba diving- so you would expect that it would be able to stand up to a shower b) I generally don't, though I will occasionally not bother to remove it before i go swimming c) would definitely only get it fixed by someone who could preserve the waterproofing- and who would check.

Comment

If nothing else, wearing a watch in the shower contributes to the deterioration of the band. Plastic bands will stiffen up sooner, cloth bands will become fuzzy, leather ones will start to crack...
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Stories like this almost make me want to start a service business just so I can be a dick to SCs.

Although I have a feeling one of these days an SC is really going to lose it, get told off, and then "retaliate" some how. You know the whole "I'll find you later" thing, or maybe vandalize the business, or some other property (i.e. home/car) of the business owner.

There are some SCs I could see doing that.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Who needs to know what time it is when they're in the shower anyways?

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                          If nothing else, wearing a watch in the shower contributes to the deterioration of the band. Plastic bands will stiffen up sooner, cloth bands will become fuzzy, leather ones will start to crack...
                          I think the band is made from some form of rubber(all I know is that the only time I needed to replace it was due to part of the band getting ripped) and my dive shop will both sell & fit a new band for £6- so that isn't really a concern for me.

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          people who lose track of time in the shower. ( yes, i am talking about myself. we now have a waterproof clock in the shower.)

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                            People who need to get out of the shower in time to not be late for something.

I have a clock with a LARGE face and big thick hands hanging on the wall near the shower. If I squint, I can manage to make out the minutes, at least, without my glasses on.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I mean, I enjoy a leisurely morning shower, but I rarely exceed fifteen-twenty minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X