This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try to follow the logic...

I was just yelled at on the phone and sarcastically told I was doing an "awesome job" because my hotel is sold out tonight and I cannot transfer a caller to another hotel from my front desk phone system.

First, the caller was dubious about my claims of being sold out and asked me if we really had no rooms at all left about three times. When he was assured for the third time that we really, truly are sold out, then he asked to be transferred to another Horse-Faced Heiress property. This necessitated another conversation in which we went round and round about the fact that I cannot do that, and that each individual property's system is their own.

Then the logic problem:

"Well, then why did you answer the phone?!" yelled the caller.

"Because I had no idea what you might have wanted, sir."

"What is a situation where you could have helped me?" yelled the caller.

"Maybe you wanted a room tomorrow. Maybe you wanted a room next month. Maybe you wanted a room next year. I have no idea who it is or what they want until I answer the phone."

Then came the sarcastic congratulations, at which point I hung up the phone. I'm running my audit and I have better things to do than talk to an idiot on the phone. Especially when my phone is not part of some sort of humongous interconnected phone system connecting every single property in the Horse-Faced Heiress family of brands.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I'm pretty sure you should know the location of each hotel and how many of each room type they have left and how much they cost. What happened to your psychic powers?

Comment

I often ask myself why I answer the phone.

We can't transfers to other hotels in our chain and that he wouldn't take that you couldn't as an answer is just....

I can log on and check other hotels availability but if I tired to do it while end of day was running the report would fail so I don't do that on night audit.

Comment

You forgot to mark the sarcasm, Shyla. I have no doubt, though, that that was exactly what SC was thinking.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Don't you just love it also when people come in and find out you are sold out then expect you to ca every hotel within a 50 mile radius to help find them a room somewhere else. I will do that for the nice people I encounter but not if you are a loser/jerk.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post

That question grates on my nerves!! Haven't you ever just want to say "because it rang"

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
              That question grates on my nerves!! Haven't you ever just want to say "because it rang"
              No, no!

"Because you rang, sir" in your best Lurch imitation
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                No, no!

"Because you rang, sir" in your best Lurch imitation
                LOLOL!! Love it!

Comment

I'm running my audit and I have better things to do than talk to an idiot on the phone.
                  Oh, wouldn't it have been great to be able to tell the caller this??
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I love SC Logic: Because you have no rooms available tonight, you should simply not answer the phone at all. Of course, if you hadn't answered the phone, he'd be upset about that too.

Comment

One because IF I do not answer it it will ring and ring and ring and ring pissing off the caller even more.

Two because I AM REQUIRED to answer it while my place of employment is open. After close FUCK OFF and go to the 24 hour Mart of Wal for your friggin pizza.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                        No, no! "Because you rang, sir" in your best Lurch imitation
                        I answer every single internal page that way. "You rang?"

I can even do the Lurch "appearing out of nowhere" trick.

Comment

"Well, then why did you answer the phone?!"
                          "OH SHIT! YOU'RE RIGHT!" *click*

Comment

i was working my audit shift on a sold out night and was checking in a guest. When the guy behind him got to the counter I informed him that I was sold out and he replied with "Why the F did you not tell me that?" Uh, because maybe you actually had a reservation a-hole was what I wanted to say.

Comment

Working...
                            X