This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t call me by my name

I used to work for one of the largest Telco’s in Australia (approx. 5 years ago), in the internet billing, sales and customer service department, and before we could assist a customer, we had to “verify” who they were by asking for their name and date of birth.

The Telco also said we were to be customer friendly, make small talk and use the customers name as much as possible, so it showed we “paid attention” and actually “cared”.

The system they used (and from friends still at the company, they still use it), did not have any field where you can put a note in stating what name the customer would like to be called (which I thought would be a great idea because some people have long names but prefer to use a short and simple name).

Anyway, this customer called (name and DOB changed) – let’s call him Gregory Smith.

Me: “Thank you for calling Telco, you’re speaking with scorpionf, how can I help with your internet enquiry”
    SC: “My internet has slowed down, and I need more megabytes until next month” (which was in a few days time).
    Me: “Yes, I can certainly have a look at that, can I please get your name and date of birth?”
    SC: “Gregory Smith, 19/01/1966”
    Me: “Thanks for that Gregory, ok, so I can see you are on a 5gig…”
    SC: *cuts me off* “Don’t you dare call me Gregory, who do you think you are?”
    Me: “Excuse me? I called you by your name”
    SC: “You heard me! You don’t get to call me Gregory.”
    Me: “Ok, I apologise, what would you like to be called?”
    SC: “Call me Greg, noone except my mother calls me Gregory and you most certainly are not my mother”

As much as I would have loved to have said my telepathy skills were on the fritz so I could not possibly know he does not want to be called Gregory, I simply suggested the next plan up, and the plan change would take effect at midnight.

Under normal circumstances, I would have just added some extra usage onto the account for free just so they would have fast internet speeds until the plan change (as adding usage manually would be instantaneous), but after being spoken to like that – he was not going to get anything for free out of me… The only option I gave him was changing to the next plan up, with more usage included and paying for it, with the plan change taking effect at midnight or using the internet at the old dial up speed until the next billing period started.

Yes, lets abuse the person on the phone who might help me. That's going to work out so well.

Please and Thank You cost nothing to say, but they sure do seem to be expensive for idiots.

Comment

I'd think he'd rather be called by his full name, not the nickname. Nicknames are usually for friends and family to use.

On the other hand, I go by a nickname, and always identify myself by it with customers. One guy who works at a funeral home started calling me by the full version of my name. It ticks me off but I've never told him not to, as it seems petty to complain about it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'd think he'd rather be called by his full name, not the nickname. Nicknames are usually for friends and family to use.
        Begs the question of why he didn't just register with the nickname if that's what he prefers. Does your service require one has to use their full legal name?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I go by my last name, no one questions it because it could easily be a first name.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Here's a stunning idea: if he doesn't want to be called Gregory, maybe he should introduce himself as Greg? Such tactics work just fine for my friends that prefer to be called by something other than their full name...
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm surprised he didn't demand to be called Mr. Smith.

First names are generally reserved for friends, colleagues, and sometimes acquaintances. In a professional business setting, formal address is preferred.

The way around this is to simply ask the customer, "Do you prefer to be called Mr. Smith, Gregory, or by another name?" With the OP's system this would have to be part of the script, but it avoids that particular landmine altogether.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

People call me by my full first name all the time. If it's a coworker I'll just say to just call me by my nickname as my Mom was the only one to call me by my full first name and then only when I was in trouble. And the older I get the less it bothers me.
                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I really prefer to just go by, "Tim," but I had to change my nametag to "Timothy" just to avoid all of the 'clever' people calling me "Timmy." You know what, though? I never corrected anyone or got angry...maybe because I'm not a jerk.
                  "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                  -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Reminds me of a barred patron in his late teens who gets mad if I call him by his first name. it's not even his full name it's the shortened version but every time I say it he goes "Don't call me that!" I just mess with him and Go Why "name" that's your name "name" why don't want to be called "name" "name" then he usually goes "Just don't call me that!" and walks off so usually I give him a friendly Ok, have a good day "Name"

Comment

A Delaware Valley (Philly, NJ, Delaware) colloquialism is to shorten people's names... Gregory becomes Greg, Jacqueline becomes Jack, and so forth. I know a few people who have done that to out-of-state people and sometimes they get really pissed off about it.

My mom, when she was a nurse-midwife, had a patient named something like Jessica and called her "Jess". She was from Arizona originally or something and sge got all irate and complained that wasn't her name.

I, myself, have a customer named Stephen and he made it clear early on that was how he wanted to be addressed. He wasn't being a dick about it, but he rationalized that was the name his father gave him and all that. He's actually one of my favorite customers now.

I HATE my name (Christopher) and certainly have no qualms about people shortening it to Chris, which is what I usually go by.

Everyone's different.

Comment

Two of my kids prefer the full versions of their name. The middle kid won't even respond if you try to call him by a nickname. I'm working with all of them about how to politely let people know they do/don't prefer the shortened versions of their names.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My wife's name is Patricia, but she prefers to be called Tricia. Call her Patricia and she'll politely correct you. Call her Pat, and she'll say that's her mother's name. Call her Patty and you're likely to be castrated.

I know a lot of people that would rather be called by a diminutive or nickname instead of their full name. No bog deal, and no reason to be a dick about it...
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                            A Delaware Valley (Philly, NJ, Delaware) colloquialism is to shorten people's names... Gregory becomes Greg, Jacqueline becomes Jack, and so forth. I know a few people who have done that to out-of-state people and sometimes they get really pissed off about it.
                            Oh, I wouldn't like this, because my name shortened is my dad's name. I'm not my dad, I'm not male, and it's not really common to shorten my name. I haven't run into this since middle school when some people wanted to use the shortened version as my nickname and I kinda flipped on them.

Also, I know someone who's kid did the same thing when he was in after-school care. The woman in charge tried to shorten his name to Mike instead of Micheal, and this little 6 year old said "that's not my name!" His mom always called him by his full name. He still goes by the long version and he's grown.

On a side note, I know the people at the call centers are told to call people by their names, but I don't really like how much they do it. Like "Thank you Jane, let's see what the problem is. Okay, Jane, I see what happened. I can help you fix it Jane." Too much. But again, I know they are supposed to and I wouldn't waste my time complaining about it.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Re: name shortening

My Mom has ranted about this sometimes, but specifically about female protagonist characters in movies or TV, particularly ones who work in jobs typically seen as male-centric or -oriented. (Cops, military, etc.)

She pointed out how they all seemed to have a shortened version of their names that sounds more masculine, and how much that annoyed her. It's not Alexandra, it's Alex. It's not Samantha, it's Sam. Etc.

I told her she should write a book with a female character with a name like that, who frequently corrects people who try to shorten her name.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X