This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth An Haddock View Post
    I HATE my name (Christopher) and certainly have no qualms about people shortening it to Chris, which is what I usually go by.

Everyone's different.
    I have a Christopher CW who is the opposite. He *hates* being called Chris.

I know three Samanthas. One prefers to go by "Sam", one will stab you in the eye if you call her that, the third doesn't care and is also cool with "Sammy".

I prefer to go by my nickname, but my full name is on a lot of accounts so that's what GSRs have on file to call me, and it honestly doesn't bug me that much.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I go by a shortened version of my given name. I can't recall anyone in recent memory calling me by my full name, which wouldn't matter too much to me. Just don't add a "y" to the end of my shortened name.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My name is 2 syllables, and can be shortened to 1. I heartily dislike the shortened version, and another variation is to use the shortened version and add "ie" on the end. It is the same length as my actual name! If you're going to the effort of using 2 syllables then you can damn well use my actual name!
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

This sort of thing helped determine my name.

My father's name is William. He goes by Bill. Way back in late 1972 - early 1973, my mother suggested I be named William Jr. Dad said no, on the grounds that if he's Bill, I'd probably wind up as Billy, and he hated being called Billy, so he wasn't going to do that to me.
          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
            Begs the question of why he didn't just register with the nickname if that's what he prefers. Does your service require one has to use their full legal name?
            if they do id be surprised my dads name is ronald but he goes by ed (my grandmother was pregnant when she met my grandfather, fell in love, decided to name her child after him but make sure it was slightly different by giving him the middle name of edwin. So instead of two Rons there was a ron and an ed)

every bill or company ive ever seen him work with had his name as ed.

but my dad also hated certain names shorted which he gave all of us. The only one of us who ever goes by a shortened verison of his name is the boy. Thats cause hes 6 foot tall, blonde hair blue eyed. looks like what you think vikings look like, computer nerd named Tyrel. In his school growing up their was a black student in his grade named Tyler. When they where in the same class or even not people couldn't comprehend the white kid named Tyrel and the black kid named Tyler. Seriously there are still teachers out there who call him tyler... He allowed people to call him Ty to help their confusion. We tried calling meimei Hol as kids, that was killed right away. My name cant be shortened and is 2 syllabols.
            Last edited by Sliceanddice; 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Name tags are required at my job. It encourages people that don't know you from Adam to get on a first name basis with you while you're ringing them up.
              I just use my full name at work as my friends and family use the shortened version.
              I joked about pulling a Marvelous Marvin Hagler and legally adding to my name. I'm thinking something like McLovin
              Of course that would be going a long way for a joke.

Comment

Working...
              X