This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove the line

I have not posted in a while, but yesterday I had the most outrageous request ever. I had a man call in and request that since he did not want our cable service that we removed the line on his property. I thought he was talking about the drop line to his house, but no, he wants us to remove the line that runs across the front of the property on the power pole that feeds the street. Um, no we will not remove that line since it feeds your street.

What do you want to bet his next move is a DIY approach? *readies popcorn* Any way you can keep tabs on that for just such a development?
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

There are a few that I can check on. I will have to see if I can follow that one. Not to make anyone here uncomfortable, but is was in back hallow KY

Comment

what a moron. ( especially since I doubt the line ended at his street, so it wouldn't just be his neighbors that wanted to beat the crap out of him.)

Comment

stupid question here, but how does he know which line is yours, since I assume yours isn't the only one on those poles.

Comment

If this guy is dumb enough to "take this into his own hands," he's probably dumb enough to just cut ALL of the lines he sees, just to be sure.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              If this guy is dumb enough to "take this into his own hands," he's probably dumb enough to just cut ALL of the lines he sees, just to be sure.
              Homer did that exact thing in an episode of The Simpsons...the last line he cut resulted in the screen being obliterated by snow.

Comment

Yeah, I see this guy's neighborhood going off the grid pretty soon.......
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  Homer did that exact thing in an episode of The Simpsons...the last line he cut resulted in the screen being obliterated by snow.
                  Peter Griffin did this on FAMILY GUY. Ended up being his own country which didn't work out as well as he'd planned.

Why Lois stays with him I will never understand...

Comment

Quoth justhere View Post
                    stupid question here
                    The stupidest questions are the ones not raised in a timely manner.
                    Quoth justhere View Post
                    how does he know which line is yours, since I assume yours isn't the only one on those poles.
                    I have a nagging feeling the answer is: HE DOESN'T!
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

But

Is that even his property?

The area in front of the house where the sidewalk and cable/power lines run is usually the city's right-of-way. If he causes damage there the charges can really add up.

Comment

Even in cases where the (serving more than the individual customer) lines run across someone's property, the telephone/cable company would have secured an easement at the time the subdivision was built allowing them to run the lines across the property. After all, they're not stupid.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Even in cases where the (serving more than the individual customer) lines run across someone's property, the telephone/cable company would have secured an easement at the time the subdivision was built allowing them to run the lines across the property. After all, they're not stupid.
                          I have to deal with this all the time, property owners claiming the utilities "have no right to be on my land!"

Got news for ya buddy, those easements were part of the builder's need to get utilities into your neighborhood and were negotiated long before you purchased your property. So your complaints are invalid and useless. Now if they make a mess and don't clean up I can help fix that, but those lines are there to STAY!

Comment

And utilities are fairly small and unobtrusive since they're usually either buried or suspended overhead.... you don't know the true lack of knowledge about easements and right-of-access until someone tries to build a ROAD over someone "else's" property because that's the shortest route. Sorry, it's going to happen.

One guy here locally was so adamant that they couldn't build a road across his lot when the one behind his sold that he put up a padlocked gate when it was finished, twice, because the police came out and cut the padlock off when the new lot owner couldn't access his land...

The second time it happened, they ended up in court where the Judge threw out Mr. Gate-Builder and told him next time it happens, he's going to jail.

There's just something WRONG with people THAT aggressive (and at the same time, wrong) about property rights.

There's several BILLION people on this planet, you're eventually going to bump elbows with SOMEONE.
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post

One guy here locally was so adamant that they couldn't build a road across his lot when the one behind his sold
                              Arga, in the area my grandparents live many properties have no road access... In some cases it's because it's a sheer cliff on one side, and water on the other, so they have to use a boat. But some just don't have a road. The owners have to walk to their house. It's a very strange layout, but I have not heard of anyone legally putting a road onto someone elses property. Many physically couldn't because the houses are all these tiny beach houses and are super close together. I'd be sad if I had a nice chunck of land and someone put a road across it. Oh crap, am I siding with the cranky old guy?
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X