This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick a country, any country!

Not my customer but a coworker's, so I'm not sure if this belongs here or Sightings. Ah well, here I go and if it moves I guess I learn something

It's the first week of the Summer Hols and we all know what that means - EDUCATION BOOKS! It's not uncommon to find mums desperate to get their kids ready for the Very Important School Deciding Exam buying up literal armfuls of these education books at this time of year. This is because this Very Important School Deciding Exam is perculiar only to certain parts of the UK and is only available in very specific formats, depending on which schools you want your kidlet to get in to. In other words, it's a very particular exam with very specific books and said books are worth their collective weight in gold to some parents.

Today my coworker had to try to figure out how to politely answer a mum who wanted to know why we wouldn't let her pay for her truckload of Very Important School Deciding UK-specific Exam Books in..... dollars.

Erm...
    1) these books won't be listed anywhere in dollars because they are so specific to the UK so where you planning on getting a price from?

2) And no, sorry, £ does not equal $

3) Books aren't taxed in the UK but are in the US so even if by some miracle you bought it in the US it would be more expensive anyway

4) what the Hell?!

In case the funny accents, the inevitability of drizzle and entire supermarket aisles dedicated to tea weren't a big enough clue, this is the UK not the USA! Chuck us a couple of bob and you're dandy but a fistful of dollars isn't really going to get you terribly far I'm afraid beyond a raised eyebrow and withering expression

The shop's not even in a touristy bit of the UK! How my coworker kept a straight face I don't know!
    Last edited by EricKei; 07-25-2015, 02:08 AM. Reason: Yup, Sightings.

OK, I could see if this happened in Canada, where a lot of people (Americans) seem confused as to how you can have more than one country on the same continent . What can I say, some folks didn't pay attention in elementary school...

But in the UK?? How did they miss the fact that you have your own money system there??!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      OK, I could see if this happened in Canada, where a lot of people (Americans and Canadians) seem confused as to how you can have more than one country on the same continent.
      Mooncat, sorry I just had to fix that. Living less than 30 minutes from Canada, here.

Our local warehouse store has a giant sign which says that cash returns are done in US funds only. Yeah, it has to specify that they don't give you Canadian bills, no matter how spiffy and plasticy they are. I've had people super upset because NHL fabric will not ship to Canada. Not only that, at the time I couldn't order it through the store, it was ONLY available online. Effectively, they couldn't buy it. So they kept asking me why, and saying how dumb it was, blah blah. Look people, I have no insight into the minds of the folks at the NHL, 'kay?
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Why would NHL anything be any problem to ship to Canada?? I mean where do you think the NHL came from? And correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't really until "The Trade" that the NHL really caught on in the US (outside of maybe Detroit)?

Comment

Living less than 30 minutes from Canada, here.
          Me, too. One of my uncles used to have a summer house in Crystal Beach, Ontario, and we used to go visit them up there a lot when I was a kid. To be honest, I bet I was at least 13 before I really started to think of Canada as another country, as it was so easy to get there!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
            Why would NHL anything be any problem to ship to Canada?? I mean where do you think the NHL came from? And correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't really until "The Trade" that the NHL really caught on in the US (outside of maybe Detroit)?
            It may be against US distributor agreements to ship NHL merchandise out of the country. The NHL Canadian distributors want to get that business. I sometimes buy items from other countries and frequently see notices that certain products cannot be shipped out of country, or to specific countries.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X