This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
    My current car fell into my lap. I'm the type to buy one and drive until its dead. So the depreciation of a new one isn't really an issue for me. Narrowed it down to new Corolla or used Camry.
    Gotta love those Corollas and Camrys But seriously, I tend to hold onto my cars--and I usually run them until an expensive problem (or accident) sidelines them. My Mazda went because it had failed its state inspection twice, and I wasn't about to put more money into it. Now, my '07 Corolla is 8 years old, and I'm going to run it into the ground. It's in great mechanical shape, but the cosmetics are starting to look a bit odd. Rust splotches on the roof and other places (the car got caught in a hailstorm some years ago) mean that it looks like a blue ladybug. I've ground out the rust, and temporarily hit things with some rust converter/primer. It looks like shit, but eventually I'll take care of it.

Same with the "bean can" repair in the trunk. After come crackhead tried to force the trunk open and tore the latch staple out of the expensive-as-balls-to-repair panel just ahead of the bumper. The dealer wanted a grand to fix it. We're talking about a 1-inch circle here, folks. My repair cost? $1.99 for a can of beans, some sheet-metal screws, a pair of heavy-duty bolts, and some cheap spray paint. 20 minutes of work bending metal, drilling holes, and bolting things together. Sure, it's crude, and doesn't look pretty, but it does the job, and the cheap purple paint is mostly hidden.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I refuse to shop at the Accura used car dealer in town. I was hit by a vehicle and my car was being totaled out. We didn't have a lot of money to spend, so were looking for the best we could find for 3 grand. We weren't actually buying that day, just trying to see what was out there. Accura high pressured us from the second we walked on to the lot. We had told them 6 or seven times that we were not, under any circumstances buying a car that day. You would think that would make them back off. But nope. And when the salesman couldn't force us to buy a car, he brought over his manager to push even more.

They finally said "What can we do to insure you will drive off the lot in your new car today?" and I told them "Sell me that car, for 500 dollars, no dealer fees, no extra fees and you have a deal"

Funny, they were done with me at that time

Comment

many years ago my car died so i went car hunting with my then fiance (now husband), and the first place we checked had a decent car that was *just* in our price range. we had cash in hand, and the price on the window was exactly how much we had, so we went in to discuss it. (i forgot exactly how much it was, but for the sake of argument, lets say it was $2000) guy says the car is $2000 + the taxes and tags and whatnot. hubby says "have $2000 cash. what can you do for me?" guy responds that it's $2000 + taxes and tags etc. hubs reinterates that he only has $2000... and it's in CASH... greenbacks, clams... guy asks if there's anyone we could borrow the rest from. we walked out

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Turns out old guy was a farmer, he buys ONE truck, new, best he can get, every 10 years and that's it.

That sale was a heck of a commission :P
          If the man looks like he's been out working in the field, he probably has. *spits in spittoon*

Some people (mistakenly) think Farmers are rich for always buying new trucks. In reality, new trucks are just the most cost effective way to buy a truck that will last you for years. We beat them to death, then after they are too old and tired to do the heavy lifting, we use them to haul trash or light(er) supplies. My father never sold a truck, except to the scrap yard (only exception was at his retirement auction).
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
            I took my car for an oil change yesterday, at the dealer from which I bought it in 2010.
            That was your first mistake.

In all seriousness, it sounds like that salesman was desperate for a sale. I'm surprised he didn't show you a picture of his wife and kids.

My mistake was buying a truck with a four-cylinder engine.
            This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
              My mistake was buying a truck with a four-cylinder engine.
              Yep, SERIOUS trucks have six-cylinder engines. Anything with a four (or a V-8) is a toy.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've bought cars from dealerships twice. The first time, the salesman was helpful, understanding (I only had to tell him my budget once) and very laid back. When I was ready to buy, I actually bought a car more expensive than the one he'd shown me before since it was a few years newer.

The second time the salesman let me test drive the car on my own and practically let me sell the car to myself.

Quoth April View Post
                Accura high pressured us from the second we walked on to the lot. We had told them 6 or seven times that we were not, under any circumstances buying a car that day. You would think that would make them back off. But nope. And when the salesman couldn't force us to buy a car, he brought over his manager to push even more.
                Must be a common thing. I had a similar experience on an Acura lot. Very similar.

I hate when they say this and I've never bought a car from someone who has:
                They finally said "What can we do to insure you will drive off the lot in your new car today?" and I told them "Sell me that car, for 500 dollars, no dealer fees, no extra fees and you have a deal"

Funny, they were done with me at that time
                I hope you pointed to an NSX.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Gotta love those Corollas and Camrys But seriously, I tend to hold onto my cars--and I usually run them until an expensive problem (or accident) sidelines them. My Mazda went because it had failed its state inspection twice, and I wasn't about to put more money into it. Now, my '07 Corolla is 8 years old, and I'm going to run it into the ground.
                  I adore my Camry. its now 5 years old, with just under 40K. I did a 60 month loan but hoping to pay it off before then. But even when it is paid in full, it will be, at the most, 8 years old, and probably have less than 65K on it. Which is nothing. ANd now that my mom is moving back to my state, i won't be putting 900 miles at a time on, several times a year. I love it. Will totally buy another one when this is done.

What's funny is my boss loves Honda. he has an Accord, which is similar to my Camry, size etc. I just like the design of Toyota better. Alhtough not a fan of the new Camry. Too square for me.

Comment

I had a friend who had a similar experience to Argabarga's "rich farmer buys truck" story.

Same kind of beat up old man shows up at the dealership and gets foisted off onto New Guy. New Guy has nothing to lose, so does a professional sales pitch. Mr. Beat Up buys a top-of-the-line fancy sedan for cash. He likes new ones and replaces them every two years.

Not only that, but Mr. Beat Up--I mean Mr. Wealthy Farmer--replaces a certain number of his company trucks every year. He refused to go with the dealership's fleet services after that, and demanded that New Guy handle his fleet purchases. Plus his every-other-year new sedan. And the one he buys for his wife. Not to mention the friends who got referred to New Guy.

In one year, New Guy went from dealership peon to the person with all those stupid corporate plaques on the wall and a bank account full of bonuses.

Comment

Working...
                    X