This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    Do the ACRS (from the big "Regan tax reform) depreciation timetables still apply??????
    For existing assets that started depreciating under ACRS, yes. For new assets, no--you need to use MACRS instead.

I know far more than anyone without a formal tax/accounting background should about that stuff... grr... I hate depreciation conversions... :P
    "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Midnight View Post
      I'm a manager at GameStop and a good portion of our clientele are still a good 10 to 15 years behind the gaming times. At least in my area.

Don't get me wrong, I love my retro consoles and still buy games for them, but I at least know when technology has moved on.
      Like I said before I have to use an old fashioned CRT to avoid lag...thankfully the WiiU (and PS3) will still work on it (once I get around to picking one up; I do have SEVEN consoles hooked up right now I'd like to get caught up on first) and as for the PS2, they kept that and the PS1 going for 11-12 years each, that's pretty darn good. Though my slim PS2 that I bought back in 2004 when they first came out finally crapped out on me last year and I had to buy a new one (yes you still can on Feebay).

I just hope you don't get people asking for Mario on Xbox or Zelda on PS4
      Last edited by EricKei; 07-28-2015, 09:52 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
        I know far more than anyone without a formal tax/accounting background should about that stuff... grr... I hate depreciation conversions... :P
        You too? I have an accounting background...and I hate those conversions

But seriously, my boss is of the type that if he can get some benefit--even a tiny benefit--out of keeping old equipment, he'll gladly do it. Never mind that the equipment in question was crap to begin with, or will (and usually does) fail at the worst possible time.

For example, one of our old servers was cheaply built, and couldn't handle the load we put on it. I actually had to run it with the side panels off so it wouldn't overheat I tried to tell him that the resulting dust would be bad for the components, but he wouldn't listen. Naturally, the heap died not long after...and I got ripped a new one

At least I got my revenge. When we got a new server (this time with upgraded cooling capacity), the old one met its demise. That is...I hauled it to the scrappie, and they crushed it into a cube
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          But seriously, my boss is of the type that if he can get some benefit--even a tiny benefit--out of keeping old equipment, he'll gladly do it. Never mind that the equipment in question was crap to begin with, or will (and usually does) fail at the worst possible time.
          I used to work for a place that makes tax and accounting software, and your boss sounds like the sort that kept us in the business of making MS-DOS software (yep, I did say MS-DOS) until IIRC 2004, and some of our competitors making it for even longer than that (some of them were still doing so when I left in 2008).

Quoth protege View Post
          At least I got my revenge. When we got a new server (this time with upgraded cooling capacity), the old one met its demise. That is...I hauled it to the scrappie, and they crushed it into a cube
          I felt the same way about the crap printer I threw out at work. At least I didn't get in trouble for that one, since the boss knew it was crap, and wanted it gone as badly as I did, if not more.
          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            Quoth BPFH View Post
            I felt the same way about the crap printer I threw out at work. At least I didn't get in trouble for that one, since the boss knew it was crap, and wanted it gone as badly as I did, if not more.
            Time for this good old scene.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

IA - We all knew that was coming, so thank you for stepping up to the plate

Quoth Estil View Post
              I just hope you don't get people asking for Mario on Xbox or Zelda on PS4
              What? Why not? They're all Nintendos! (former 'Stopper here, myself)
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Truly one of my favorite scenes! Baseball bats are nice. But, I prefer to use my 40-pound fence maul to beat the shit out of things. Sometimes, I'll mix it up with one of my other tools. That would be the crude hammer I found in Grandma's barn. Someone welded a railroad spike onto a length of pipe. I have no idea what that tool was "originally" used for. But, it's great for punching holes in sheet metal and/or plastic
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                X