Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really don't know how to feel about this (vent)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't know how to feel about this (vent)

So, a bit of backstory first:

When I was born, my grandfather bought and gave to me (even though I was just a baby) two gold sovereigns, they're quite literally the first thing I've owned (even if i was too little for such concepts) and they've always been mine, all through my life, they're significant to me and my plan for them always was, to pass them down to any children I had, so they could have them and have something significant to them. Well, that plan is well and truly and irreversably ballsed up.

You see, a while back, my mum really needed money, and I mean really needed it for a tax bill, and so, she took my sovereigns, along with some jewelry, to a jewelers to sell for the gold. (the reason she had them at hers is part of a story I'll not go into), it's only today that she told me.

This irks me for a few reasons.

1. She basically stole from me, they were mine, always had been, they were being kept at hers, but they were still mine. This hurts, especially since that's totally not her, which leads to point 2.

2. She didn't ask, see she always shares money with me if i needed it, and i do the same with her, what little I had. If she'd have come to me and told me straight up that she needed the money and could she take my sovereigns to be valued, I'd have said go ahead, while they are significant and sentimental to me, all that would have gone out the window, but she didn't ask, she didn't even pass the idea by me before doing it.

3. She immediately felt guilty after selling them and used some of the leftover money to buy me a blu ray player (which I'll be honest is something i was wanting at the time) but because she kept from me that she bought it from what she got for my sovereigns, what I thought for years was a gift (the BR player) has now really soured.

4. She only told me now, and this really is the worst part, as me and my mum don't have secrets from each other, well, obviously there are some (natural ones), but not important, big stuff like this. And this is leaving me feel, well, honestly, I don't know hence the rant.

It's not about the money, I don't feel like "oh she's taken £X away from me" or anything, The monetary value of the items never crossed my mind, I was never going to sell them, It's more, something that's important to me was taken, that I'll never give back, and I never even hada choice about it. Like i said, if she'd asked me beforehand, I'd have said Sure, because I'd know she really needed the money.

It's just left me feeling, well, honestly I have no clue. She has said that when my grandfather dies (which may be soon) that I'll definately get the sovereign that my grandfather is leaving to her, but, it's not the same, y'know?
    I can't even really tell her how I feel or any of the points I made above because I know it's only going to make her feel worse, which won't accomplish anything.
    Last edited by RayvenQ; 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

I have a silver pocket watch my parents got for me when I was born. I'd be pretty angry too if someone casually sold it. I feel for you.

Comment

Your mom screwed up big time. It's not about the money, but it's the principle of the situation. Your mom owes you 2 gold sovereigns. A lousy Blu-Ray player does not make up for it.
      I wouldn't blame you one bit for being pissed off.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Well, she owes me the two exact sovereigns that she sold, but since they're probably melted down by now, that's never gonna happen, and simply getting given 2 other sovereigns won't help either.

It's not what she did that's got me like this, but rather how she went about it.

Comment

A few years ago, when our parents were making lists of what each child wanted when that particular time came (which is hopefully in the distant future), I mentioned to my mother this one drawing my grandfather had done for me, of Sylvester the Cat in mittens, a winter hat, and a scarf.

Mom told me in no uncertain terms that since Grandpa drew that specifically for me, of course it would go to me, whatever my sisters might think about it. While it is of no actual monetary value, I know I would be FURIOUS if one one of my sisters managed to get into Mom's place and claim that picture, since it is not theirs to claim. Arguments could be made about other things, but not about that picture.

In much the same way, those sovereigns were yours, not your mother's, and her taking them from you violated that in a way that goes beyond money. She violated, without permission from either of you, your grandfather's promise to you. That is Not Cool, and I don't blame you for being pissed.

The big question is, how do you handle this, and where do you go from here? It's something you need to seriously consider, because if you don't figure out how you are going to resolve this emotionally between the two of you, it will fester and sour your relationship with your mother in ways you can't even imagine at this point.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm pretty much gonna let it go, I just have to work out how i feel about the whole thing and then utterly obliterate the negative feelings. It's easier to do that in this case since, I do know my mum very well and if she hadn't absoloutely needed that money, she wouldn't have sold them, if she'd just have sold them because she wanted money for something that wasn't important or neccesary, then it'd be a bigger piece of contention.

Like I said, if she'd come to me and asked, I wouldn't have said no, I'd have said yes in an instant, since it was a real need. I'm not mad at her per se, like i said to her "well, if you needed the money, you needed the money" I'm more dissapointed really that she didn't ask.

Perspective helps though, albeit in this case, it's made slighter easier by the fact that my dad did something that I feel is way worse, which was, that he waited until two days after my dog had been put down, cremated and his ashes spread, before even freaking telling me, this is the dog that i had since i was 7, that was gotten for me on account of my parents not being able to have any more children and was pretty much like a sibling to me.

I'm not the kind of person to say anything, I keep pretty quiet, but that's pretty much assured that the rift caused by him kicking me out onto the streets will never be healed.

So yeah, perspective helps.

Comment

My Grandmother's second husband (Grandpa Paul, no relation other than he married my grandmother), gave EQ and I several very old Walking Liberty coins when we were ity-bitsy evil monsters. How we managed to get them and not his natural born children is because he showed us the coins and asked what we would do with them. His children said keep them and sell them (they were adults at the time) and EQ and I said we'd keep them forever because they were shiny.

Suffice to say, our Cousins didn't like us much for that.

Our Mum kept them until we were old enough to leave the house (at which point Mom and Dad ran away on us, thanks guys!) and gave them to us. I have the oldest one (a 1921) and EQ has the prettier one (1930-something). We intend on having them mounted and worn for our weddings, should that ever occur.

Mom always said she'd rather pawn her and Dad's wedding bands before they pawned our coins, because that was all we had of the one guy in Dad's whole bloody family that even liked us. Their wedding bands have been pawned more than once in the years. They have them currently, but I don't think they wear them anymore.

All in all, I'd be royally pissed off if someone sold off something given to me as a child. The Blu-Ray player doesn't repay it. I'll keep an eye out for a couple replacement sovereigns if you pass me the mint years. It's amazing what comes through my store.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

One was minted 1869 ( http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/1869victoriashield.html )

The other was minted 1872 ( www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/1872victoriashield.html )

Looking round, the 1869 one ranges from £200 and I'd assume the 1872 one works out similar.

Then again I'm not sure I'd want to replace them, since, they'd not be the same ones (i know i seem picky on this point but eh) and really they'd be a reminder of the whole debacle, I'll probably end up just trying to forget the whole thing and move on.

Comment

RayvenQ, I'm sorry to hear about that. I'd be furious too if someone did something like that to me ... and the fact that it's not really "like" your mom to do that makes it that much harder. Kudos to you for being willing to let it go. I think the most I'd say is to reiterate, "Mom, please, if ever you need money again, TELL me, okay?" It's pretty much closing the barn door after the horse is gone, but ...

As for new sovereigns not being the same, I can understand that too, but ... my grandparents had a weird, cheap ornament that sat in their living/dining room for as long as I can remember. When my grandfather went into a nursing home, I stayed at his apartment when I visited him. I was told to leave the door open so the cleaning crew could get in (didn't know then that they couldn't go in if nobody was there ... and yeah, you see where this is going). When I got back ... the item was gone. Never did find out where or why (trust me, it was NOT valuable). I found its twin in eBay and have adopted it as "theirs" even though of course it's not really. I can't get the original back, so this will do.

Comment

It not being in character for her, and the fact that she regretted it immediately an if she went through it all she'd not do it again, plus, the fact that it was years ago, makes it easier to let go, since, whats done is done and all that jazz, besides, I get on great with my mum so 2 coins,no matter the monetary or sentimental value, isn't worth spoiling that.

To put it in perspective how much they meant to me, even when i was homeless for 7 months, and i had them with me, I did not even think of selling them then.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      It not being in character for her, and the fact that she regretted it immediately an if she went through it all she'd not do it again, plus, the fact that it was years ago, makes it easier to let go, since, whats done is done and all that jazz, besides, I get on great with my mum so 2 coins,no matter the monetary or sentimental value, isn't worth spoiling that.

To put it in perspective how much they meant to me, even when i was homeless for 7 months, and i had them with me, I did not even think of selling them then.
                      I hear ya. I've got a few items like that (including the 'adopted' one).

Hope 2013 is good to you!

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                        Well, she owes me the two exact sovereigns that she sold, but since they're probably melted down by now, that's never gonna happen, and simply getting given 2 other sovereigns won't help either.
                        It's unlikely that they'd be melted down. Bullion coins (pre-1900 gold coins fall into this category, as do current Krugerands and Maple Leafs) are worth more intact than as gold, so any competent "we buy gold" place would have fished them out to sell as-is.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Maybe after you and your mom put it behind you, she should buy new sovereigns to mark the birth of a new relationship between you and your mother.
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I dare say Cindy's idea is brilliant.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X