Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just got back from taking The Boy (who has been begging for weeks). Great Movie! I didn't get to catch all the references since The Boy isn't great in a theater yet but I thought all the asides I did catch were great. I love how all the people in Fix It game moved in the 3D world.
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I found this interesting; Ralph and Felix are the only ones of the nicelanders to have 'fluid' motion, unless they're 'playing the part' when in-game. Of course, Ralph tends to revert to 8-bit movement when he gets his Wreckin' on; I noticed that when he goes 8-bit, he hits ~faster~ than when he's not in 8-bit.

And, considering that he splits a boulder-sized jawbreaker in half while not in 8-bit, just imagine the force he can put out when he gets ~really~ mad. So, not only is he one of the oldest villans in the arcade, (Inky, Blinky Winky and Clyde have him beat by 2 years, and that's it) It's reasonable to suggest that he's also one of the naturally strongest, and toughest.

Comment

This is a movie I'm seriously considering going back to the theater to watch.

Did anyone else think that Alan Tudyk was channeling the Mad Hatter from the original Alice in Wonderland (the one who sang about Unbirthdays) while voicing King Candy?
        Last edited by Nurian; 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM.
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

Did anyone else think that Alan Tudyk was channeling the Mad Hatter from the original Alice in Wonderland (the one who sang about Unbirthdays) while voicing King Candy?
          THANK YOU. I was wondering why that mode of speech seemed familiar.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

It was absolutely a tribute to Ward Kimball's Mad Hatter. Haven't seen any interviews where it's mentioned, but I can't see it being anything else.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              It was absolutely a tribute to Ward Kimball's Mad Hatter. Haven't seen any interviews where it's mentioned, but I can't see it being anything else.
              Apparently, I wasn't the only one. Google Alan Tudyk and Ed Wynn. It crops up in some reviews.
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

Did anyone else pick up the Bugs Bunny reference from his dialogue too?

I just saw it today. LOVED it.

Also, am I the only one who thought that the green monster in the Bad-Anon meeting looked like a Marlboro from Final Fantasy?
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

THAT'S where I'd heard that before. Thanks for asking this; that was driving me crazy.

My nephew dragged me to see. Well worth the price of admission; it was a fun movie.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I saw it today with my 3-year-old, who loved it (he recognized Bowser as he's watched the old Mario Bros. cartoon show). Even as someone who isn't particularly knowledgebale about video games, I think I got most of the references (Q-Bert!). The story was sweet and while parts were a bit scary for a toddler, Khan doesn't seem to be much affected. I liked how the older 8-bit characters moved like real old video game avatars.

I did think Vanelope was pretty annoying though, no matter what her situation. But then I don't really like children much.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

my favorite part was the oreo cookie guards at the castle (wizard of Oz reference) i squeed about it - the friends i was seeing it with didn't quite get it at first; but my family has said "or-e-o...cookies" for years when that particular scene comes up
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                        I did think Vanelope was pretty annoying though, no matter what her situation. But then I don't really like children much.
                        I can understand that, I found her pretty annoying at times as well.

But then, consider the life she's had. Ostracized and bullied and insulted every time she dares to show her face around the rest of Sugar Rush, she probably developed her snarky insult-happy nature out of self-defense.

That said, the scene where Vanellope squees about her new race car was fantastic.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                          my favorite part was the oreo cookie guards at the castle (wizard of Oz reference) i squeed about it - the friends i was seeing it with didn't quite get it at first; but my family has said "or-e-o...cookies" for years when that particular scene comes up
                          I had to explain that reference to my boyfriend.

I loved the "bake-a-car" minigame. And even though her car was an absolute mess, I would probably have done the same

And now I have this sudden weird desire to cosplay her

Comment

^Do eeet! Seriously, I bet we'll see some Wreck it Ralph cosplays around

Comment

Quoth Amanita View Post
                              ^Do eeet! Seriously, I bet we'll see some Wreck it Ralph cosplays around
                              Well she's not as complex to customise, as long as you can find the right coloured stuff. Turquoise hoodie, turquoise skirt, attach "leggings" to it and then style a wig with candy inside (you could use runts if you needed to)

ETA: Did anyone else spot the name of the guard at the car bakery?
                              Last edited by fireheart; 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                                Well she's not as complex to customise, as long as you can find the right coloured stuff. Turquoise hoodie, turquoise skirt, attach "leggings" to it and then style a wig with candy inside (you could use runts if you needed to)

ETA: Did anyone else spot the name of the guard at the car bakery?
                                I did. Beard Papa.

Comment

Working...
                                X