Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skip college so you can be a store clerk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip college so you can be a store clerk!

http://consumerist.com/2010/05/skip-...conomists.html

This article talks about in demand jobs that you don't need a college degree for. In part it states:

"Among the top 10 growing job categories, two require college degrees: accounting (a bachelor’s) and postsecondary teachers (a doctorate). But this growth is expected to be dwarfed by the need for registered nurses, home health aides, customer service representatives and store clerks. None of those jobs require a bachelor’s degree. "

Yeah because everyone wants a glorious career pitching loyalty cards and extended service plans for $7.50/hr
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

The reader commentary after the article sounds like us over here. We should do us some recruiting!

And I thought that you needed a degree for nursing?! Maybe not for an LVN, but for an RN you need one.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
      And I thought that you needed a degree for nursing?! Maybe not for an LVN, but for an RN you need one.
      Maybe you don't need a bachelor's but you certainly need plenty of training for an RN...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

There are a handful of "diploma" programs out there where you go through RN training at a hospital but don't get a degree. They are few and far between and dying out. There's one in Texas, for example. It's not something that's widely known, though (I only know about them because there used to be one I wanted to attend in San Antonio) so I'm wondering how it even got in the article???

Plus, some areas have gotten so competitive between a bad economy eating jobs and too many students graduating, a bachelor's is necessary to find a good entry level nursing job. There's a reason I'm getting my bachelors in nursing instead of an associatesfor a fraction of the price.

So sad that they try to sell retail as a career. A paycheck, sure, but not a career.

Comment

There are some days I want to smack the editors at Consumerist.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

In Australia, you need a TAFE certificate/diploma to become a nurse (TAFE is basically vocational learning, where people go to learn how to be florists, hairdressers etc.) at the enrolled level, which I think is the equivelent of a LVN?? (My auntie's an aged care nurse, but I think she's an RN-there's a separate diploma available for those who want to become aged care nurses specifically)

To become a RN though you definitely need a bachelors degree.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
              The reader commentary after the article sounds like us over here. We should do us some recruiting!

LPN you don't need a degree for same with HHA's. Shoot, there's quite a bit of careers in the health field that you don't need a degree for! I'll admit that working in a call center you put up with a lot of crap, but all you need is good customer service and people skills (and sometimes experience) or in some cases a license (if you do insurance and the like) and you can make some decent money. No matter how good or bad the economy is, it's always in demand with high turn over but it's good to have something that most people can get a job in whether that's just a job, stepping stone or hell, even a career!
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
              X