Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sob... sniffle... oh the misery of it all...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sob... sniffle... oh the misery of it all...

This all happened on Wednesday July 18, but I've been too traumatized to post and relive the horror til now...

As I was pulling into our parking lot, I saw a huge schoolbus in front of our entrance and I thought 'WTF? School's done...', then I saw senior after senior shuffling off the bus and into our store! Apparently they go to the seniors' complexes and bus them in to shop on Seniors' Day. We were lucky we only had one busload. One of the other stores in my city gets 3 or 4 busloads. I'd go totally insane from dealing with that many. Between the busload and the regulars, it was miserable... and of course I had an 8-hour shift, on Express, or as I called it that day, the 'slow, deaf and confused lane'!

Because I've been working 2 jobs, I haven't worked the day shift on Seniors' for over 2 years, and after 6pm, they're home and it's just another shift. I've been sooo lucky!

Too Gross

Old guy left his dirty hanky/wipe thing on my counter. I called out to him 3 times that he left it and to come back and get it, but he just kept shuffling away in deafness. I said to my next customer, also an old guy, "I am so not touching that nasty thing." He said he didn't blame me, then he went after the first guy and yelled at him to come back and pick up his dirty wipe! Awesome!!! The first guy did come back for his wipe, but didn't apologize for leaving it behind. Figures. The cool old guy said it was too bad I didn't have any sani-wipes to clean that spot with, so I said not to worry, I had sanitizer. I sprayed that on, then dried it with a paper towel. All clean. I hope.

Crazy Old Lady

This all takes place in slow motion. Her bill came to $8 and change. She took out her wallet and gave me $5. She put that back, pulled out a change purse and rooted around in it. Couldn't find what she wanted, so put it back and pulled out another change purse! That also didn't have what she wanted, so it went back in, and out came the wallet for another $5. That gets put away, then change purse one comes back out so she can give me the pennies! Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!!! Could she be any frickin' slower??? In a warped way it was kinda funny, though!

Even Crazier Old Lady

She had a huge purse, and I found out why. She keeps her money (bills) in the pages of Readers Digest magazines! OMG!!! I couldn't see how she filed them, or what pages correspond with money, cuz she had them turned away from me as she looked in them. She slowly ruffled through one and pulled out a twenty, went to another for a ten, and another for a five. Her purse was big enough that she actually could have a magazine for each denomination. Scary. Then she had pill bottles for coins. One for loonies and toonies, one for quarters, and one for dimes, nickels and pennies. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I do know she seriously held up the line.

Psycho Bitch

She had some groceries, which she set on the conveyor belt without a problem. She also had 5 magazines that she handed to me. I went to set them down so I could scan them. She shrieked at me, "DON'T SET THEM ON THERE! THEY'LL GET DIRTY!!!" I just stood there in shock. When I gathered my wits, I asked her how I was supposed to scan them if I couldn't set them down. She said, "Hold them in one hand and scan them with the other." I said I wasn't quite that coordinated and went to set them down again. She snatched them out of my hands and said, "I'll hand them to you then. I DON'T want my magazines getting DIRTY!" I'm still somewhat in shock over the sheer psycho-ness of the whole episode. They're only magazines, the belt was clean enough for her groceries... just... WTF...?

Pranked?

After things slowed down around noon (they need their afternoon naps and we need the break from them!), older guy comes up with his purchases and a pair of our reading glasses that he was wearing - all the tags were still on them. He put everything down, I rang it through, then I asked if he was buying the glasses. "What glasses?" he asked me. I said, "The ones you're wearing." He said they were his. I said no they're not, they still have our tags on them. Then he took them off and claimed he 'forgot' he was wearing them. I asked if he wanted to buy them and he said no. Uh huh. I wondered if he really thought I was so dumb I wouldn't notice he was wearing them, or if he was trying to prank me.

After he left, our LPO came up and told me he'd been watching the guy ever since he put the glasses on. He said I shouldn't have said anything and just let the dude go so he could bust him. I wonder if he was joking or serious?

As usual, we were understaffed, so the lineups were moving slow to start with, and with all the crazies I had in my line, I had to keep calling for a second express to be opened... and most of the time there wasn't anyone, so I was left all alone with the hordes of idiocy...

As well as the above, normally hearing and sensible seniors that regularly shop in the store were deaf, bitchy, mean, slow and stupid all day. What is it about a 10% discount that makes them go totally insane? I tell you now, I'm putting in a requested day off slip for the next seniors' day - I'll make up some appointment if I have to!
    It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
    Old guy left his dirty hanky/wipe thing on my counter. I called out to him 3 times that he left it and to come back and get it, but he just kept shuffling away in deafness. I said to my next customer, also an old guy, "I am so not touching that nasty thing." He said he didn't blame me, then he went after the first guy and yelled at him to come back and pick up his dirty wipe! Awesome!!! The first guy did come back for his wipe, but didn't apologize for leaving it behind. Figures. The cool old guy said it was too bad I didn't have any sani-wipes to clean that spot with, so I said not to worry, I had sanitizer. I sprayed that on, then dried it with a paper towel. All clean. I hope.
    Let's have a round of applause for the second old guy!!!!!!

I wonder if old guy #1 accidentally forgot his hanky, or left it there on purpose.

Nah, I don't think I want to.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
      Pranked?

After things slowed down around noon (they need their afternoon naps and we need the break from them!), older guy comes up with his purchases and a pair of our reading glasses that he was wearing - all the tags were still on them. He put everything down, I rang it through, then I asked if he was buying the glasses. "What glasses?" he asked me. I said, "The ones you're wearing." He said they were his. I said no they're not, they still have our tags on them. Then he took them off and claimed he 'forgot' he was wearing them. I asked if he wanted to buy them and he said no. Uh huh. I wondered if he really thought I was so dumb I wouldn't notice he was wearing them, or if he was trying to prank me.

In his defense, one time I had on a Burger King hat/crown all day and never noticed until someone told me.

Comment

I feel your pain. In my torture days with Wal-Mart, I was often scheduled to run the smoke shop (the only lanes in the store where you could buy tobacco products), and about once a month, the assisted facility would bring their residents in to shop. These were not your average, run of the mill nursing home patients, there was something wrong with them mentally, and for some frikkin' reason, the home would issue them their money on gift cards and they'd all come marching (or staggering) to the tobacco lane and ask how many packs of our cheapest cigs they could buy with their card. Of course there was always a few cents, maybe a dollar or so left on the card, and it was nearly impossible to get these people to understand that it was not enough to buy anymore smokes! It took a long time to finally get them to shuffle away, only to look up five minutes later and see the same one trying to come back and buy five more packs because he had money on his card. After waiting on two or three of them, even some of our most broken in cashiers were ready to run in circles and pull their own hair out. After about a half hour of this going on sporadically, the caretakers would finally mosey on up with their own purchases.

We couldn't help but wonder why they would let their patients loose in the store like that!

I know some people can't help being mentally handicapped, but isn't that all the more reason they shouldn't be wandering about alone?
        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
          Then she had pill bottles for coins. One for loonies and toonies, one for quarters, and one for dimes, nickels and pennies. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I do know she seriously held up the line.
          *sigh* I am guilty of this one, but just for quarters, my dad got me started on it since he kept change for the washers in old pill bottles. I still have a habit of tossing a pill bottle full of quarters in my purse to head off to work with...
          Tell me, "Who lit the fuse on your Tampon?"

Comment

Quoth unholypet View Post
            In his defense, one time I had on a Burger King hat/crown all day and never noticed until someone told me.
            Hey! I had something like that happen to me! A co-worker made me a paper rose with a stem and everything, and I tucked it behind my ear. Then, at the end of my shift, I called a cab and the driver kept giving me weird looks the whole way. I couldn't figure out why, until about 20 seconds after I walked in the front door and my roommate said "What the hell is that behind your ear?"
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

WTF?! She'll eat shit off a "dirty" conveyor belt but gets mad that her magazines are dirty?! I hope she gets the shits!

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
                After he left, our LPO came up and told me he'd been watching the guy ever since he put the glasses on. He said I shouldn't have said anything and just let the dude go so he could bust him. I wonder if he was joking or serious?
                Even if your LPO had busted him and even if he really was trying to steal the glasses, you can bet at trial he would pull the pitiful-sweet-little-old-man-who-is-getting-forgetful-due-to-his-age act (like he did with you) and the jury or judge would feel sorry enough for him to find him not guilty. I have seen it happen. All that would do is encourage him to try to steal something else on his next visit to your store. By catching him at the register, you at least showed him his ploy was not working.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth scary cary View Post
                  WTF?! She'll eat shit off a "dirty" conveyor belt but gets mad that her magazines are dirty?! I hope she gets the shits!
                  People are weird, I think we can all agree on that. If the belt was wet, she would have a case, but that still doesn't excuse biting the cashier's head off about it.
                  Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                  - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Why is it that old people are either your BEST customer of the day or your worst?

Comment

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post
                      Why is it that old people are either your BEST customer of the day or your worst?
                      Because, at their age, they will either have learned patience and compassion towards their fellow man...or that people will give you stuff to go away if you are an ass.

Comment

Working...
                      X