This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquidation Store Nightmare (long)

It saddens me to say that the movie rental place I work at is closing, thus we've become a liquidation store until the end of August. Today was our first day of being a liquidation store and had a truckload of idiots and assholes today.

Somehow the meaning of "Buy 2 Get 2" is lost on most people. Along one side of the wall we have new released movies that are priced 14-12 dollars with blue and white stickers on them. There are neon orange signs right next to these movies that say "Priced as Marked" and somehow people either fail to notice the obnoxiously bright signs or just don't bother to read them and just assume that these movies must also be 9.99 like everything else we're selling. Then they get mad and yell at you for ringing their movies up wrong and then yell at your some more when you tell that those movies are priced as marked. As if it's our fault that they can't read a sign that's plastered all over that section.

Anyway, I think the worst SC's I've had to deal with today are "The devil lady from hell", "bitchy buy 2 get 2 lady", and finally, "I'm not paying that lady".

My conversation with devil lady, whom shall be referred to as DL from this point on, went something like this.

DL: "I ordered a movie a while ago and came in not that long ago to see if it had come in and it hadn't. I came here today to see if it had finally come in."
    Me: "I'm sorry but your movie hasn't arrived yet. And I apologize but it won't be coming in since the distributor we special order movies from has canceled their service with the store." (coincidentally enough, because I happened to be chatting with a co-worker at the store that day she came in, the distributor had called in right after that previous visit she made a couple weeks ago and canceled all shipments.)
    DL:*getting slightly annoyed at this point* "So you mean I won't be getting my movie? That isn't fair since I've already paid for it and now you're telling me that it won't come in? Can I get a refund for the movie then?"
    Me: "There's nothing I can do about that myself, that's something you'll have to take up with the manager." (our corporate is extremely touchy about this kind of thing so my hands were tied on this one).
    DL: *huffs and then leaves*

Luckily the store was relatively empty at this moment because the last thing I wanted to do at this time was interrupt this lady and have her get even more pissed off. Not that it would've mattered...seeing as she returned not even an hour later.

DL: "I want a printed invoice of the transaction that was made for the movie."
    Me: *at a loss of what to do since this would be impossible* (all the member accounts+history had been wiped from our computers and sent to our other store. ) I was working in the store with someone from another store and he was in the back office working on stuff so I go back there and ask him what to do. He says there's nothing he can do so I should call the district manager. I go back upfront and call the DM. The DM happened to be working at our other store so she pulls up the woman's stuff there and tells me that DL can come in for a refund at that store. I hang up and tell DL this and I swear I thought she was going to leap across the counter and throttle me.
    DL: "You mean I have to drive all the way down to the other store to get a refund?" then she demanded that I call the other store so she can talk to the manager
    Me: *does so*
    DL: she started ranting and raving to the manager at the other store about how it was all bad business and that she had been lied to three times about this.

Luckily, she hung up the phone and then left. I think the whole thing is ridiculous and it's not like we were denying her a refund. The other store isn't that far away and the DM already said that she could get it there.

The Buy 2 Get 2 lady was less evil but just as annoying. -_- She had already bought two movies and THEN noticed the buy 2 get 2 sign. She then started yelling at me for telling her...even though she could've read the signs for it everywhere. She then went to go pick out the two movies she wanted free. So then I had to go back and void out the movies she had bought and then ring everything up again so that we could even do the buy 2 get 2 sale.

"I'm not paying that lady" was actually the first SC I had to deal with. I rung up her movies and the total came out to being $64 dollars. She starts to get mad and go off on me that it shouldn't be that much. I tell her that she has the blue/white stickered movies that are priced as marked. She huffed and then walked away proclaiming that she wasn't going to pay that much for movies.

Other then that, it was just typical idiots. Mostly people that failed to notice our big black and yellow liquidation store signs everywhere and came in the store to try and rent movies. Then there were people that tried to use free rental coupons to buy free movies, people that about shit a brick when seeing our sign about the new store hours and still wanted to come in even after we had closed.

I'm very happy that I have tomorrow off and hope that by time I work again Friday things will be running a lot smoother.

Quoth GoldFinch View Post
    DL: "So you mean I won't be getting my movie? That isn't fair since I've already paid for it and now you're telling me that it won't come in? Can I get a refund for the movie then?"
    Me: "There's nothing I can do about that myself, that's something you'll have to take up with the manager."
    I have to admit that that would have set me off as well. I can see how she would have taken that comment to mean that not only was she not going to get her money back (as was owed if the movie was not going to be delivered) it seemed to indicate that there was going to be a problem with her getting any help and that she was going to get the run around with a lot people telling her to talk to someone who was never going to be there.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
      it seemed to indicate that there was going to be a problem with her getting any help and that she was going to get the run around with a lot people telling her to talk to someone who was never going to be there.
      Uh, I gotta say, that's a heck of a leap. "Never going to be there"? I don't see anywhere in the conversation that the lady was even told the manager wasn't there at that time, let alone never there. There are a lot of stores that if you want a refund, or have a quibble or problem or whatever you have to "take it up with the manager." And being told by one person to talk to someone higher up on the food chain is hardly getting the run around.

Yeah, GF indicated that there would be a problem getting help, from GF. That's about as far into the statement a person could reasonable read. The next step is to ask when the manager is in next. If the answer is "I don't know" then you can start to worry.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The lady who couldn't get a refund at the store where she spent the money has a legitimate gripe, unless your company is going to pay for her time and gas to go to the other store.

On the bright side, since your job has a definate end you can treat the customers with the respect they deserve.

"I'm not going to pay that much."
        "Then you can't have them. Door's that way." point
        Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
          The lady who couldn't get a refund at the store where she spent the money has a legitimate gripe, unless your company is going to pay for her time and gas to go to the other store.
          I do think that she had a bit of a gripe, as really she should have been called and told her order was cancelled. And what if it hadn't been cancelled, but was going to be delivered to the other store? Would you still say the company is responsible for her gas and time? I have to say, that part is still just as rediculous as when people want payment for their gas and time for having to drive over to the other store to pick up an item in stock, or because the item on sale is sold out and they're "from out of toooowwwwwnnnn" or they want lost wages because they had to take the day off work for the appointment, etc etc.

The store's closing. The rules changed. She's just lucky she didn't have to do it all over the phone, as that would have taken a lot more of her time, and would have taken longer for her to get the refund.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Entitlement Whores, all of them! Well, except the lady who ordered the movie. That can be understandibly frusterating.

We get people like this all the time in our store. "How can toys be so expensive?" they ask when their bill is half-again what they expected, even with the customer rewards coupons and discounts. Instead of going into the production and economic details like some stick-in-the-mud professor (well, these aluminum parts have to be machined by hand, the Lithium-Polymer battery is knew technology, the plastic is petrolium-based) I just answer "because you want them." Oddly enough, that earns me a laugh.

Some people freak at the cost of some of our R/C stuff, but when they ask if I could mark it down to something reasonable, I tell them that (not making this up) we only mark the items up $20-30 over what it cost us to get it.
            O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Actually, though I forgot to say it up there, I did tell her that the manager would be in later that day at 8. There's not much else I could honestly do after that to try and placate this woman. It was bad situation and bad luck that the distributors canceled on the particular day she had gone in to see if the movie was in.

Comment

Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
                We get people like this all the time in our store. "How can toys be so expensive?" they ask when their bill is half-again what they expected, even with the customer rewards coupons and discounts. Instead of going into the production and economic details like some stick-in-the-mud professor (well, these aluminum parts have to be machined by hand, the Lithium-Polymer battery is knew technology, the plastic is petrolium-based) I just answer "because you want them." Oddly enough, that earns me a laugh.

Some people freak at the cost of some of our R/C stuff, but when they ask if I could mark it down to something reasonable, I tell them that (not making this up) we only mark the items up $20-30 over what it cost us to get it.
                A lot of people refused to believe how much the movies they wanted rang up on the register. Then continued on to yell at me that I did it wrong even though they watched me scan everything and then scan the buy 2 get 2 coupon on the pricing key for however many times was needed. As said above, it's not my fault they can't pay attention to the obnoxiously bright orange signs everywhere. Or even the huge buy 2 get 2 banners hanging in the middle of the floor. I was tempted to just say to these people that stuff will eventually get cheaper as the sale goes on. But then they'd get angry again because I don't know when that's supposed to happen yet.

Seriously, there is just no pleasing some people.

Comment

Working...
                X