Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't whistle at me like I'm an f-ing dog!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
    One time, I had a woman say to me, "Oh my god! You're SO polite!" Maybe there is hope for humanity yet..
    Kind of sad she finds it rare enough she feels the need to point it out when it happens
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, my God, I had a whistler once, and I'd totally forgotten about it until I read this thread!

My own behavior in this story is far from exemplary, and I never did anything like this before or since. I can only excuse my behavior by explaining that I was in a really bad mood that day because my girlfirend had suddenly broken up with me, and I totally hadn't seen it coming. So I guess I was just off kilter.

Anyway, I was off on one end of the department straightening up or something, when I heard a piercing whistle from the other end. Some old guy was trying to attract my attention. But since I was in such a bad mood, I decided to ignore him. Soon I heard the whistle again, and I still ignored it. Finally he stormed up to me and demanded to know why I wasn't responding to his whistle. I got into his face and snarled "BECAUSE I'M NOT A FUCKING POODLE!!"

I was sure I was going to get fired because of it, but for some reason I never heard a word about it.
      "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
      "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
      --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
        Finally he stormed up to me and demanded to know why I wasn't responding to his whistle. I got into his face and snarled "BECAUSE I'M NOT A FUCKING POODLE!!"

I was sure I was going to get fired because of it, but for some reason I never heard a word about it.
        Hopefully its because he finally realized what a rude jackass he was being. Maybe he learned a lesson and does not whistle at people any longer(hey, I can dream, can't I?).

Comment

I wrote a large blog on Patience, most people today are extremely rude and have no concept of it.

However, one time at work I was on a safety step and filling something to the shelf when I noticed a lady come up and stood next to me. She actually waited until I got down off the step before asking me a question. That's the only time I've met a customer who was patient AND polite.
          If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Patient and Polite...2 things that really do seem to be missing from almost every customer's character. Luckyliy I haven't had to deal with that, but if I had to, I'm sure I wouldn't take it very well.

Thankfully I work at a very small hotel where most, MOST, of the clients are respectful.

Sorry to hear about your bad day at work.

(whips up a big Ice Cream sunday) Here ya go. This'll help.
            "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

I've had customers will will snap their fingers at me. I ignored them and continued on with what I was doing.

Comment

I have politeness and a vast, neigh unlimited pool of patience regardless of how annoyed I get with a caller. However both Perks seem to be oft wasted in day to day NPC interaction.

My mom taught me to always say please and thank you, always be polite and patient and ALWAYS always always treat women with courtesy and respect. Even that last one doesn't seem to work anymore. Its a natural reaction for me to open a door for a female but whenever I do it these days they look at me like I just grew a second head. I always get this "Wtf is this man doing!?" look followed by this pleasantly surprised "Oh WOW" look like they've never heard of such a thing.

What the hell are the rest of our male brethren doing out there thats causing this? ><

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
                  But since I was in such a bad mood, I decided to ignore him. Soon I heard the whistle again, and I still ignored it. Finally he stormed up to me and demanded to know why I wasn't responding to his whistle. I got into his face and snarled "BECAUSE I'M NOT A FUCKING POODLE!!"
                  I actually really admire you standing up for yourself. Maybe the customer did too. The fact that you never heard anything about it may mean that he thought about complaining but when the thought about it he realized how rude whistling was. Sometimes shock value works better than anything else.

Comment

Well, don't forget, the minute you clock in, you're no longer human. You may as well have a choker chain on and newspaper in the corner to do your business on.
                    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
                      Well, don't forget, the minute you clock in, you're no longer human. You may as well have a choker chain on and newspaper in the corner to do your business on.
                      Do we get milky bones???
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Do we get milky bones???
                        Yes, but only if they're stale and veggie flavored.
                        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
                          Yes, but only if they're stale and veggie flavored.
                          What? I'm not doing tricks for THAT!!!
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I remember a whistler back at the country park. I was involved in the oh so delightful chore of mucking out the duck pen when I heard a piercing whistle. I just ignored it. It continued with me ignoring it til this woman poked her head round the duck pen door and said, "Excuse me, but I need some help!" I replied, "Then find someone who's not knee deep in duck shit to help you!" Her jaw dropped and she left without a word.

Oh, and I didn't get into trouble for rudeness cuz my boss found it hilarious. Plus, she wanted help in the flipping restaurant; I could hardly go help her with duck poop all over my boots now could I?
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                              What the hell are the rest of our male brethren doing out there thats causing this? ><
                              I find the whole "guys hold the door for gals" thing a bit chauvanist, myself. I tend to hold doors for whoever, just because I like to help people, and it's a simple thing. But yeah, I've noticed that sometimes, when you reach for a door to open it, the person you're holding it for looks like they thought you were just pushing to get ahead of them. Sad commentary, that.

My mother was very strict about how you act in public. Please and thank you and excuse me as appropriate. We were quite contentious at home, but whenever we were in public, we would get all sorts of compliments on how well behaved we were. Our local arcades would give us tons of free tokens because we never caused any trouble.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I have to admit. I have not whistled at anyone, but I did snap my fingers once while at work. The person gave me a look that would have melted concrete, and I since then have never done that. I also later on apologized when I realized how rude it is to whistle and snap your fingers at someone just to get their attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X