Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom used a leash on my. Back in my day playskool had one that was a rainbow striped bracelet with a blue telephone like cord. I promise you I was not traumatized by it, and in fact if she hadn't used it, who knows what would have happened to me. I apparantly had poor facial recognition skills as a child, therefore any male over 6' tall was 'Daddy!' and I would go running to complete strangers.
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

That's funny, my mom doesn't want me anyhwhere near her when we shop.
      Not only because I'm older, but because I'm annoying.

@Banrion: Perhaps they were your real dad, but the government set up a fake dad to protect you from falling into the dangerous world of espionage.
      Or maybe you were a silly kid.
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
        Back in my day playskool had one that was a rainbow striped bracelet with a blue telephone like cord. I promise you I was not traumatized by it.
        OH OH OH! I had one of those! But mine was red! I would have liked blue more. My parents used it until I figured out how to get it off...
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

That playskool one lasted through me and my brother and is still in a box of baby stuff at my parents house.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Wrist leashes rule. I should get one for the man of the household...or myself, when I'm shopping with my family. I like to wander.

Am I the only who who thinks the father in the OP was stoned?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My brother had one of those when we were kids. The reason was that he liked to wander off and he was so damned quiet that none of us would know he was gone until he was already halfway across the store. He hated the leash and my mom hated using it, but there wasn't much to be done about it until he learned to stop wandering off.

In contrast, I would usually ask if I could go look at something in a certain department and would stay put until my mom looped around to get me. And if anyone tried to grab me, the entire state would have heard it. I was a loud, obnoxious, mean little bugger.
              A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Am I the only who who thinks the father in the OP was stoned?
                I saw him as just too self-absorbed in what he wanted to be doing to want to bother with what his son was doing or the danger he might be in. Too many people were not emotionally ready to be parents when they decided to "do it" without birth control.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Posts like all these remind me of alllll the reasons I DO NOT want kids EVER. This board can be used for birth control! ^_^

Comment

I'm in the non-kidded crew, but I've never seen anything wrong with the leashes and harnesses.

I was one of those smart kids who would never do anything wrong that could be traced back to me. My brother, in contrast, did whatever he could manage to get noticed, and he was sneaky, but not so smart about it. He was precisely one of those kids that needs to be leashed until he gets enough sense to know not to run off.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Is it ok if we put leashes on the parents?

Comment

I was on the leash as well as a child. I wanted to explore and I had the tendancy to wander off quickly. I think the leash is a good idea. Like other posters pointed out here, it does not go around the kid's neck.

Comment

I understand that when you have a brood of monsters it would be hard to keep up with all of them all the time. But at least some parents TRY to keep up with all of them all the time!

There was this toddler in the hobbyshop with his grandmother. He had this doggie backpack on that doubled as a harness and a leash. Yet, the grandmother let go of him long enough for him to climb on the train table, climb on the counters, get behind the counters, climb on the shelves, and nearly pull down a heavy candy rack that would have resulted in his severe injury or death.

Luckily, I grabbed the rack seconds before it fell on the kid. I was livid. Not only was this kid annoying, but his grandmother was bothering me every 10 seconds, "This is on sale right?" "Yes ma'am, it is. See the big neon sticker that says 50% off?" If we didn't want to sell it for 50% the sticker wouldn't be there!!! And keep your stupid kid on his leash!!!
                          Check out my cosplay social group!
                          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I didn't need a leash. I knew better than to wander off. There's a picture of me when I was two and I'm holding my dad's hand while I was in the stroller. I refused to let go of his hand. The whole time we were out. There's also a picture of me hugging a fire hydrant. Don't know the story behind that one.
                            "But I don't want to be among mad people."
                            You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

I have a plain blue harness my girl wears. And she loves it, too, because at 22 months, she is far too old and too cool to hold mommy's hand at the zoo or museum. She loves it because it gives her independence and security at the same time.

In fact, if she finds it lying around the house, she tries to put it on.

First time we used it was when we went to the zoo for the first time. I psyched myself up because frankly, I expected trouble. I was ready.

Not only did no one say anything to me or even glare at me, but half the kids there were on leashes, too. And God is my witness this part is true, two little boys (I guess around 4 or so) were standing next to her at the waterfowl pool and one of them looked at her leash and then said to the other one "I wish I had one of those when I was little." I kid you not. You could have knocked me over.

I've heard too many stories of kids disappearing. It only takes a nanosecond for them to duck away from you. Hell, someone sent me an internet vid of a toddler getting kicked by a breakdancer and literally punted into the air. It was an accident. (Don't even get me started about that particular vid and why this person sent it to me. We damn near got into an argument.) Those of you who have kids know they can jerk away and run from you in an instant.

Of course, everyone criticized the mom for her negligence.

I gotta go...be back later.

Comment

To those of you shedding tears for humanity by being exposed to situations like this, take solace in knowing that people actually read these examples of human interaction and something clicks.

It may be a binary (bad/good) click but if they're literate, they'll get it and share it.

You're teaching via experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X