This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. We're Not Going to Help You Violate Copyright Law

I posted a story about this customer (warning: the tale in the link is long; reading it isn't necessary for understanding this post) in Unsupportable.

No. She didn't piss and moan about a "lack of response."

Instead she was trying to use our software to violate copyright law.

She downloaded a book from a repository of electronic files which are in special format. People who need that special format can use the files to create a copy of the book in that same format (and only that format) for their own use.

The repository has strict rules about converting the files into any other format. Strict enough that they will yank borrowing privileges from anyone who violates them.

And blatantly violate them is what the SC was trying to do when she ran into a snag and demanded we help her.

Uh. No.

The in me wrote something like this back:
    Good morning,

Your best bet would be to find a published copy in the format you want. If you are having trouble locating one, try contacting the publisher for help finding one.

Naturally I BCC'd everyone here and then followed up with an email to my co-workers telling the to send her my way if she contacts one of them.

Of course, the in me almost sent this email:
    Good morning,

Your best bet would be to find a published copy in the format you want.

As far as the issue you are having, I think the problem may be in the file you downloaded from Repository. I took the liberty of letting Repository know of the issue and forwarding your email to them so they can help you.

Although I didn't send the version, I'm still holding it in reserve.
    Last edited by Dips; 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Oh, just send it. You know you're dying to!
    "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
    "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
    --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
      Oh, just send it. You know you're dying to!
      Heh. I'm close to it.

I came in today and found a very sarcastic reply in my inbox. Basically she told me what her purpose was as if I should have been able to read her mind in the first place and used questions to "scold" me for my ignorance.

It was sort of like this:

"I'm using OGS (a psuedonym for another program she hadn't mentioned in the first email) to read it. How am I supposed to do that if I take your suggestion? Perhaps you know something I don't? Since you aren't cabable of helping, could you PLEASE send this to tech support?"

If Harry Potter fans can imagine Dolores Umbridge delivering those lines, that's the tone I was getting from the email.

Anyhow. My reply was more blunt. I politely told her we won't help her and that her only option was to contact either the repository or the copyright holder for help.

I'm guessing she'll either give up (I hope!) or use the "but I've been getting away with this for years" defense.

Knowing her, I'm betting on the latter.

<sigh>
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Send the email!

Comment

On further thought, I'm not going to send that email. After discussing this with my boss and co-workers, we've decided to just stick the mantra of "You'll have to take it up with [Repository]."

The idea being to keep our involvement in the issue at a minimum. While "helpfully" forwarding her request to violate copyright and their TOS to [Repository] might be amusing, it won't do anything but get us MORE involved.

So for the time being I'm NOT report her or even pretend to. I think that's the right choice.

Comment

Working...
          X