This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Wrestling "Mecca" No More

I know there are a few pro wrestling fans on the board. So I thought I'd post this here:

The Former ECW Arena, as we know it, is done next month.

The ECW Arena is the fabled "bingo hall" at 7 W. Ritner Street in Philadelphia that was the birthplace of a style of wrestling that really helped shape the wrestling world. Currently called the "Asylum Arena," after the demise of ECW, the Arena has hosted many independent wrestling companies: Ring of Honor, CZW, CHIKARA, Dragon Gate USA, EVOLVE, and others. Many wrestling fans see the ECW Arena as a sort of "Mecca," given its history to the business.

The venue was sold recently, and the fate of wrestling events being held there was questionable. It has now been confirmed that the CZW/EVOLVE double-header on January 14, 2012 will be the last wrestling event to be held in the Arena as it is now. On Feb. 2, it will be undergoing major renovations, and after they are complete, the owners may raise the rent for events, potentially pricing out the indy wrestling scene.

A sad time for wrestling fans. The end of an era.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

It is a shame, but there is still an off-chance that the new owners will allow wrestling shows. It all depends on how much they start asking for to rent the building.

(Now I have to sit down and watch my old ECW tapes...)
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
    X