Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's not helped by the fact that copyright is misrepresented frequently. Frequently, copyright is represented as only benefiting big companies. Completely ignoring the fact that infringement ( I hate the term piracy- it brings up the stereotypical romantic pirate if movies) actually hurts people like Seraph more. ( for example, most musicians have to take other jobs to make ends meet- it's only a small percentage that are able to live off of their music. It's not all due to infringement, but...)

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I was looking for online work a long time ago and spotted a site that involved writing. Oh boy! Unfortunately, one of the conditions was that if they saw your work anywhere else on the internet, even if you hadn't put it there and didn't know who had and had had nothing to do with it, you were liable.
      My guess is that it was a scam - they had some friends (not easily traceable by their employees/victims) who'd post pirate copies of the work to some obscure site, then they'd go after the writers. The penalties in the contract they wanted you to sign (for pirate copies appearing anywhere, regardless of who did them) would result in (at best) you working for free, or (more likely) paying to work for them.

BTW, did anyone else think of the old (late '80s) game "Gauntlet" when they saw the title to this thread?
      Last edited by wolfie; 03-24-2013, 04:06 AM. Reason: Forgot a comment
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yup =p

"Blue Seraph needs hug badly!" /gauntletannouncer
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          BTW, did anyone else think of the old (late '80s) game "Gauntlet" when they saw the title to this thread?
          Yes, I did. I hated that thief! (I preferred the dragons in Gauntlet II.) Looks like wizard Seraph won this round.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Too few people understand copyright; and of those who do, too few care.
            I work in a library. Outside of the legal profession, I'd say librarians are next-best educated on copyright matters. And boy oh boy is it confusing stuff, in no small part because the law itself is so complicated. And it doesn't help that many (larger, deep-pocketed) copyright owners willfully obfuscate copyright law in order to keep stuff from getting out that they don't want to get out. The most common example of this is the big, major, mega-corporation issuing a takedown of an online review of one of their products or services that isn't exactly flattering.

At the same time, though, it's vital to remember that copyright law exists precisely so the Seraphs and Seshats of the world can create stuff and make a living from their creations. So, kudos to you, Seraph!

Comment

BTW: LOVE librarians. Library science is a vastly underrated science.

But to quote one of my favourite authors (David Eddings) "All the books in the world do you no good if they're piled up in a heap."

And yes - it helps that librarians in general understand and value copyright, and support what it does for the individual author/writer/artist/etc.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Green SC is about to die!
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

So sorry to hear about this. Hope you get it all resolved. Sending e-hugs your way -points towards avi picture-
                  If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Yup. Those games practically raised me ^_^ The "Legends" remakes were good, too, but I don't think they really compared to the originals.

Speaking of old games -- Anyone remember the Capcom D&D games, Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara"? Apparently they're getting re-released on the consoles as downloadables, both in one game. *boingboingboing*
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Yup. Those games practically raised me ^_^ The "Legends" remakes were good, too, but I don't think they really compared to the originals.

Speaking of old games -- Anyone remember the Capcom D&D games, Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara"? Apparently they're getting re-released on the consoles as downloadables, both in one game. *boingboingboing*

I've got both of those on MAME32. Love them.

Comment

I am surprised HostGator did anything. Every time I report a spammer to them the site never comes down.

Comment

Working...
                        X