This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Anon Q/A Advice Section

I propose a section where we can log in on a anon user name to ask a like "Dear Abby" question to the board. The anon user name can only be used in the one section and all the questions have to be approved by a moderator. That way some of us who are looking for advice but are too shy to have it associated with our user names can ask the question.

One of the rules can be that we can't respond to our own Anon post. Another could be that we have to keep it in the realm of Dear Abby, along with keeping with no cursing.

Not sure about how much demand there would be for this, and I have no idea whatsoever how to do this with the current software.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well..there is a way to do it without any software involved..all you need is a volunteer. Somebody who is sent PM's by those who want to post a question, and who posts for everybody. Wouldn't even need a special section..as long as the person is trusted to not EVER reveal the source of the question.

What I mean is .. in Off topic we start a thread called "Anonymous questions to the community" maybe even in life Advice. Somebody, the volunteer, posts the questions they receive..and the community answers with the understanding that the volunteer is not asking the questions for themselves.
      Last edited by Mytical; 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Well on one of another forums I go to they have a dummy login account that can only be used in that forum area. You have to log into the dummy account before you can post anything and that account doesn't have privileges to post anywhere else.

Comment

What is the purpose of not allowing people to respond within their own threads, and how does it outweigh the advantage of being able to clarify a point others might be unsure of or have taken the wrong way?
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Because then it would loose its annonominity. Maybe relighting back under the anon sign in but then this is supposed to be like a dear Abby. And let's face it very very few dear Abby's get follow ups.

Comment

While I've never read much Dear Abby, I've read Amy Dickinson and Car Talk, both of which use basically the same format (though the latter is, of course, different subject matter.) It's true that there are rarely follow ups, but it's also true that the advice given often depends on assuming information that's not contained in the letter. Far better to be able to clear up any misunderstanding than to be forced to let it stand and seeing people give well-meaning but totally worthless advice.

But unless this is going to be a heavily-used aspect of the board, the idea of having a volunteer take questions as PMs and then post them with names removed is probably best... and would allow the occasional follow-up in the same manner, if need be. And unless someone else really wants it, were it up to me I'd nominate Aethian for coming up with the idea in the first place
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                Well on one of another forums I go to they have a dummy login account that can only be used in that forum area. You have to log into the dummy account before you can post anything and that account doesn't have privileges to post anywhere else.
                I can't think of a better way to give someone a chance to try to troll us.

Rapscallion

Comment

Thats why the posts have to be approved before they are seen by the rest of the board.

Comment

Working...
                  X