This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    I'm wondering how many single fathers demanded special treatment like that. Granted, I'm sure there aren't neary as many single fathers as single mothers, but I guess I'm curious because I was a single father myself for a few years.
    Every one of these single mothers needs to see the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness."
    He loves the world...except for all the people.
    --Men at Work

Comment

My mom was a SC!

This thread makes me think back to 2000. I had minor surgery to have a bone spur removed from my foot. I had to be on crutches for 6 weeks following. I was able to obtain a special temporary handicapped parking permit at school so I didn't have to schlep my hobbling self, plus backpack, from the North Forty every day.

However, my mom came with me to the hospital so she could drive me home. At that time, she took my grandmother, now deceased, all over the place for her many doctors' visits. They had a handicapped hang tag that could be put in whatever car they were in.

You see where this is going, don't you?

I had to get a pain med prescription filled, and she took me to the store where my pharmacy was. I asked her to just drop me off out front and let me go in, but she said, "No, we've got the tag, we'll park here in Handicapped." I told her I didn't think that was a good idea because my grandmother wasn't in the car with us.

As it happened, that day there was a sheriff's deputy in the parking lot, just waiting for people to park in the blue spots. He was on us in an instant. My mom tried to tell him I'd just had surgery, and he just asked her where the person the tag was issued to was. Of course, she wasn't with us. I'm standing there on my crutches feeling bad and embarrassed for my mom (and thinking, If she'd just dropped me off like I asked).

He gave her a $250 ticket. I thought that was a bit harsh. Mom especially ranted about the fact that he just sat there and watched her park. She and Dad even talked to a lawyer about fighting the ticket and they were told because of the county where it happened, they should just go ahead and pay it. I paid half of it, still feeling bad about the whole thing.

But 7 years later, you can still get my mom in a froth talking about that ticket.
      He loves the world...except for all the people.
      --Men at Work

Comment

We don't really have any problems with customers pulling the 'fixed income' or 'handicapped' cards. But we do have a curious little guy (well... he's about fifty) that sometimes hops in wearing soccer shorts and cleats, and sometimes hobbles in in dress slacks and with a cane. Sometimes he alternates on the same day.

For me personally, I've found the opposite to be true. People seem to think that deafness affects one's mental capacity. According to some of the cashiers/baggers I've encountered, I can't drive, read, write, or talk (don't know where they're getting that from... I'll talk your ear off!) Once, an older lady even held my arm as if to "steady" me after demanding to take my groceries out.
        "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
        -FSTDT

Comment

we had one today-"I'm blind and the people that come to help me out ran up my cell phone bill"-we treated it like any other case, check the numbers against previous invoices-she wanted all the overages taken off(over $800)-um no how about you get the people that you claim ran it up to pay for it-oh you don't know them-so you let strangers into your house, no well then you know who made the calls then don't you.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
          X