This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
    Yew young whippersnappers! Back in my day, pinball cost a dime. And we thought we were getting jypped even back then! And you got five balls per game, none of this three-ball ****! And if you wanted to play pinball, you had to get in the station wagon. None of this newfangled SUV stuff. And it was uphill, too! Both ways!
    In the snow! On broken glass! In 200 degree heat! And then the station wagon broke and we had to carry it!

Comment

I'm really dating myself here, but I can remember when my dad would put $2 worth of gas in the car and it would last a week. That was in the mid 60's.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        Have you seen the new mass markets they've been putting out the last couple years? They're the same width but about an inch or two taller...supposedly a "convenient" size for easy reading or something like that...I say it's just a scam so they can charge an extra 2-3 bucks, cuz they cost about $10.

I actually remember paying 99 cents a gallon for gas...sigh..
        It's called trade paperback format. The primary purpose, aside from a price increase, is that bookstores can't strip these books for credit. (IE, they can't rip the cover off and send the cover back to the publisher to get their money back. If they want a refund, they have to pony up the postage for the entire book.)

Comment

I know I am showing my age with this one

as a child I remember (only 47 years old as of next month)

gas for 15 cents (or less) a gallon
          a loaf of bread for 5 cents
          giant 3 foot pixie stixs for 25 cents
          penny candy sometimes 3 for a penny
          cigarettes for 20 - 30 cernts a pack (my father used to bitch when he had to pay $2.50 fopr a carton of Camels)
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            I actually remember paying 99 cents a gallon for gas...sigh..
            Keeping in mind I'm 27-ish, I remember when it went UP to that price.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Keeping in mind I'm 27-ish, I remember when it went UP to that price.
              I'm 20, and I remember my dad bitching when gas cost more than $1.00. Just 4 years ago when I my uncle offered to sell me his 86 Chevy Caprice (with a massive gas sucking V8) for $20 bucks I remember thinking it might not be a good idea because gas was getting expensive, it had just gone over $1.50. I filled up my tank yesterday for $2.95 a gallon. Gas prices have doubled in 4 years.

Back to the original candy topic, the company I work for just raised the price for regular sized candy bars form $0.65 to $0.69. At least it comes to an even $0.75 with tax now.
              "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

$3 a gallon? Wow..its nearly £1 a litre here, or £3.78 a gallon, or $7.58 a gallon :'(

Comment

When I was in fifth grade, my family lived in the house next door to the house I now own. Big double house, beautifully kept old place with massive pocket doors, gorgeous woodwork, five bedrooms, two baths, two parlors, grand cherry wood butler's pantry. I ran across the rental agreement for it when I was cleaning out my parents' papers - we paid $64 a month rent there. That would have been around 1962. Now it would rent for a minimum of $600 a month, even in our economically depressed area.

Sometimes, at the ripe old age of 54, I find myself thinking the "it used to cost only xxxxx!" thing to myself. For me it's an observation made out of frustration and wondering how things got so out of control in a relatively short time. How did that 5-cent loaf of bread become "worth" $1.50?

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
                    How did that 5-cent loaf of bread become "worth" $1.50?
                    My cheapest bread is 1,99$. My cheapest storemade bread is 2,59$ and you get less bread.
                    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
                      When I was in fifth grade, my family lived in the house next door to the house I now own. Big double house, beautifully kept old place with massive pocket doors, gorgeous woodwork, five bedrooms, two baths, two parlors, grand cherry wood butler's pantry. I ran across the rental agreement for it when I was cleaning out my parents' papers - we paid $64 a month rent there. That would have been around 1962. Now it would rent for a minimum of $600 a month, even in our economically depressed area.
                      Sounds gorgeous! Would run you about $1200/month here. Damn, now I want it.

Comment

You think those things are bad, you try living at this end of the world.

I saw on the news the other night that everything here is more expensive than in North America. Brand new CDs cost about $28.00 same with DVDs. Books are more expensive as well as clothes.

The new article said it would be cheaper to buy everything from Amazon.com, even with the exchange rate and the shipping.

When I went to the States a few years ago, I bought up big on clothes and CDs and books. It was great.

I even got a book that wasn't published here because of legal reasons.
                        Total surrender
                        Your touch is so tender
                        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                        And it brings me relief
                        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

I remember first getting my drivers license. Gas was $0.50 a gallon. Now, where I live, it is $3.45. I wish it was the same as 7 years ago. The store down the street from where I used to live, always sold me candy for 3 cents for a handful or sometimes, I got them free. I was the supervisors kids friend. They would sale it to everyone else for about 25 cents. Now it is $1.00 and up, for the good stuff.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
                            Big double house, beautifully kept old place with massive pocket doors, gorgeous woodwork, five bedrooms, two baths, two parlors, grand cherry wood butler's pantry. I ran across the rental agreement for it when I was cleaning out my parents' papers - we paid $64 a month rent there.
                            When I was growing up (up to 3rd grade), my parents were living in a place that was-- and this is not a lie, despite how impossible it sounds-- essentially two sqare miles of virgin forest, with a reasonably large house on it, for $200 per month, in one of the outer Cleveland suburbs.

Comment

Every day something reminds me that I'm getting old. I got my first allowance, 25 cents a week, when I was 5 years old. Comic books were 15 cents, and I figured out that I could buy one one week, then save the leftover dime and buy two the next week.

Recently I happened to look at a comic book rack in a store and I noticed that some of them were selling for $2.50. I came this close to saying "$2.50? That's outrageous! Why, I can remember when..."

Luckily I stopped myself. That would just have been embarrassing.
                              "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                              "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                              --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
                                Every day something reminds me that I'm getting old. I got my first allowance, 25 cents a week, when I was 5 years old. Comic books were 15 cents, and I figured out that I could buy one one week, then save the leftover dime and buy two the next week.

Recently I happened to look at a comic book rack in a store and I noticed that some of them were selling for $2.50. I came this close to saying "$2.50? That's outrageous! Why, I can remember when..."

Luckily I stopped myself. That would just have been embarrassing.
                                You should see how much the Bound editions cost. It's almost $30 for five issues of Hellboy or Sandman.
                                "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X