This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas87 View Post
    I hopped into this thread a bit late and I was going to say make her a Jabba the Hutt costume.
    Apologies for the second post, but I needed a few moments to find this picture:His High Exaltedness

Jabba was done last year. As well as the Gamorrean you see in the center.

Comment

Are you talking Dragon Con or AWA? If it's AWA then look for me, I will be (hopefully) dressed as Kasumi from DOA. She is also my avatar, if that gives you guys any idea.
      Check out my cosplay social group!
      http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
        Apologies for the second post, but I needed a few moments to find this picture:His High Exaltedness

Jabba was done last year. As well as the Gamorrean you see in the center.
        Great costumes! Almost makes me wish I was going to Celebration IV... *remembers all the stuff he didn't like about Celebration II* ...almost.

And it's always great to see a Star Wars fan girl that's brave enough to put on a Slave Leia costume!

And while we're on the subject, I might as well show off the most recent picture of my Star Wars costume!

CLICK HERE

That's me on the left. That photo's about 2 years old, back when I still had long hair.
        Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 05-05-2007, 05:34 AM.
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

As a professional seamstress, you have my empathy. Let me see if I have this right... She wants you to make her a costume, not only free, she wants you essentially to pay her to wear it.

Tip I got when researching the idea of having a web site: DO NOT have an industry insider model your garments. If you do, blur the faces. This nimrod is an example why. To advertise, the model had best sign a release. It's just a tidier way to do business: model stands around and does as she was told, she gets her pay for the time she put in.. Secondly, most everyone has enemies, and subtly or not, seeing a recognizable person one doesn't like in a costume makes the potential customer a little less inclined to call you. And who would be less likable than someone who has such a low opinion of her consort's friends and activities?

Comment

Quoth Jinxy View Post
            "Dear Jinxy,
            I don't really care what dumb show I dress up for, no one I know will be there just pick something that will make me look hot. His friends are all a bunch of retards & geeks so it's not like they matter was thinking that maybe I could model the outfit you make me instead of paying you for it I could put it on my myspace and lj and tell everyone you did it and then if you get a lot of hits from it maybe you could cut me in for a share?? plz let me know asap
            She has GOT to be kidding, right?! Please, please tell me she is kidding!

She's not kidding.

Obviously she has no concept of how much time, money and energy goes into making a costume. Making my SCA garb is consuming more time and energy than I realized it would, and I'm just a rookie working with a Simplicity pattern! When a professional has to plan the costume from Step One, do the measurements, create the pattern by hand, hunt down the correct fabrics from every store in town, etc., etc....and she wants you to do it for FREE?! AND cut her in for a share in return for her modeling it on myspace?! In other words, she wants YOU to pay her for the privilege of making her costume! That...that...

...guh. My brain hurts.

I've got three words for Miss Priss: NO FG WAY.
            Last edited by XCashier; 05-05-2007, 05:07 AM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sympathy all around. Andara and I are former RenGeeks (not currently due to lack of money... we'd probably get back into it if we had the time/money to spare for it), and we also hit California fannish conventions on a fairly regular basis. We're running a booth at one this weekend, in fact.

The mature answer is exactly what you did: "Sorry, but I'm booked solid, there's no way I could get something made for you in time." But it's fun to fantasize about torpedoing her socially...

How about a costume that falls apart under the right conditions? And tight enough to begin with that she can't wear a bra...

Did I mention that I'm a perv? =^_^= But a friendly one.

Comment

Quoth Jinxy View Post
                I'm going to be looking for her at Dragon-Con to see the look of bewilderment and misery, cause I'm pretty sure she won't be the hottest chick there by a long shot.
                By her standards, she might be - geekgrrls (and most geekguys) have a standard of 'a healthy version of the natural body type is Mega Hot'. However, she sounds like the kind of person who actually buys into the fashion industry.

So the geekgrrl who's rock-climbs and runs charity marathons and maintains a healthy body isn't going to be 'hot' by her standards, because she'll have 'too much' muscle. Which our silly wannabe will probably not be able to distinguish from fat - she'll just consider the rockclimbing geek to have 'huge thighs, ewww, can you believe that'.

Of course, even if the wannabe IS hot by fashion-industry standards, she won't get the attention she's looking for anyway. Most of the geekguys will be drooling over the women-with-brains who are actually into the hobby and know the character they're dressed up as.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Bah, I have the attitude that good work deserves a good reward. No way would I ask for something for free.

All this talk of cosplaying makes me wanna show off one of my exploits at the London Expo May 2006. I went as an agent from the Matrix films.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Im000866-1.jpg

Go me

Comment

Quoth Lord Ludicrous View Post
                    Bah, I have the attitude that good work deserves a good reward. No way would I ask for something for free.

All this talk of cosplaying makes me wanna show off one of my exploits at the London Expo May 2006. I went as an agent from the Matrix films.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Im000866-1.jpg

Go me :-D
                    You lucky bastich!

Great costume, BTW. I need one that has that same effect on the hot fangirls!
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

I have a really good friend that's a kiltmaker (the first American to attend the Keith Kilt School and the first fully certified kiltmaker in North America as a matter of fact!) and people always choke when they find out how much a kilt is. Ladies - $200-400 USD, Men's - $400-500 USD. Well, hell, it only takes about 16 hours to make the damn thing. Not to mention that the only looms in the world that weave authenic kilting fabric are in Scotland!

I can just imagine if someone tried the Miss Priss thing with her! As many a man has found out, it is not wise to piss off a Celtic woman, especially a Scot. We have a tendency to start relieving men of various appendages that they hold near and dear!
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                        Er? Slave Leia AND Boussh? There's some kind of bizarro time dilation going on there, isn't there?
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                          You lucky bastich!

Great costume, BTW. I need one that has that same effect on the hot fangirls!
                          Thankies, theres more XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Im000863-1.jpg

Thats me with Lady Yuna

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Im000868-1.jpg

Me with Rikku

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Im000865-1.jpg

And me finally about to get pwned by a group of Necromongers

Comment

Working...
                          X