This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Schmucks in one Day

#1. Store Credit Warranty Idiot: Apparenty our CSM didn't remember how to process those through but I vagly remembered what it was for but I know for sure it's from automotives. The CSM told the customer if he can wait until he comes back from lunch and the SC was like, "We'll can't you get him to sign it while he's on his lunch?

I'ts against the law to make someone work when they are off the clock, idiot!

#2. I felt sorry for this customer but not for the impatient, pushy ones: Apparently for some stupid occurance a DVD was scanned as a different DVD movie for a higher price. He was quite upset and came back to see me for his concern about the price, I did item inquiry and the DVD did scan at that price, I looked at the receipt and sure enough, it wasn't on there and a different upc was replaced from the one he bought. I got a CSM and he told him to go to Courtesy. This woman bitches in line saying "Why is this taking so long, I'm in a hurry, this is ridiculous.

Keep your friggin eyes open and be aware of your surroundings, I'm not the only till open, quit staying at my till and giving me a hard time where you can be at another till and out of there faster but if you stay at my till, DON'T BITCH AND WHINE!!!
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

I'ts against the law to make someone work when they are off the clock...
    Try telling that to Walmart.
    Last edited by bigjimaz; 05-08-2007, 06:33 AM.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

I know that in California, they're pretty hard on companies that don't give employees the regulated 2 each 10 minute breaks and the 20 minute lunch for 8 hours worked.

A company can call a worker back from their lunch to perform their duties. However when they do so, the employee is allowed to restart their lunch as if the part before the interruption never happened.

As an aside, this info is from about a decade ago, so I have no idea if it might have changed. But there are about a dozen sites online with people offering very informed advice regarding this sort of thing.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In California, it's now a half hour for six hours worked; which means, if you are scheduled to work six hours, you have to take a half hour break sometime during your shift.

It used to be that an employee and a company in California could agree, in writing, that the employee did not want to take the half-hour break, taking instead only the two ten-minute breaks, but the abuse level and coercion of employees was very high, and that's why that's been discontinued for all but a few exceptions.

Regarding working off the clock, while Wal-Mart is a huge and obvious offender, many companies, including Nordstrom (I worked there while the suit was ongoing) have done this with employees.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

A former co-worker used to work for Sears (I believe... I know it wasn't WM), and she said they would lock all of the overnighters in the building from close to open and if you didn't actually work a full shift, you were stuck. They most likely got away with that one because half the people involved weren't legal to work in the US to begin with. But I've known otherwise honest and reasonable people who would let their employers take massive advantage of them.

By the way, being locked in could legally be considered to be kidnapping.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

By the way, being locked in could legally be considered to be kidnapping.

^-.-^
            It's also illegal or used to be for companies to do that. If you do some research you will see a lot of worker riots against companies with dozens of deaths along both sides occured because the company locked the workers in the factory to do work. Thing is when a fire occured the workers couldn't get out of the factory and burned to death. Workers in the US had it very bad when companies could self regulate themselves. If a worker died his family was lucky to get the wages of the work he had done since the last paycheck. You were but a slave in all but name under a lot of US companies.

Comment

Working...
            X