This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many wrongs make a right?

Customer called in this morning furious because he was told last night that if he went to a store he would get the same price we offered him in customer care (in my department, we have additional discounts available to eligible accounts when they want to cancel). So he went to the store today and lo and behold, they can't match our price (a common mistake, customers don't know how the company works. The ability of a store to override a price in their system is determined by their regional vice president of sales, and some are ok with it, some say they can't override the price). The call quickly went into a downward spiral into dealing with just another SC. Here's a tip. No matter how many people you speak to, if you get told the same thing by all but 1 person, it doesn't make that person right.

ME: The Queen of Mean
    SC: Whiny Lamer

ME: Well, I do see you called in yesterday...
    SC: Yeah, at 12 am last night. And she said the store would match your price and if I had any trouble to call and you'd take care of it!
    ME (reads vague notes by last rep. This could be tricky. We'll probably have to let him upgrade in the store and credit the difference... Wait a minute. Oh, you douche!): Well... I see that you did indeed call at 12 am, but what you were actually told isn't noted. However, I see you also called at 2pm, 345pm, 4pm, 530pm, 7pm, 830pm, 10pm, and 11pm, and each time you asked about the store price matching our offer. And each of those times, the reps all told you that the stores MAY honor our price, but that we CANNOT guarantee it.
    SC: Yeah, they did, but then the last girl said they would. Now I'm getting the run around and you can't just go back on your word.
    ME: As I said, all the other reps you spoke to told you there was no way we could guarantee the store would be able to get the same price, and the last rep didn't note anything at all about an in-store price match, just that she offered you $XX.XX for the device.
    SC: Well, it's not my fault if she didn't note it, but she said they'd do it.
    ME: But, if all the other reps told you otherwise, and 1 person said what you wanted to hear, that doesn't mean she was right.
    SC: BUT SHE SAID-
    ME: And if she said that, then she was wrong and I apologize. But there is nothing anyone here can do to make the store go beyond a policy set by their regional VP.
    SC: This isn't right. What are you going to do for me! I want it for $XX.XX.
    ME: Then I will order it for you, and it will be shipped.
    SC: I DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR IT! I WANT IT NOW!
    ME: Then you have a chioce. You can buy it in the store for $XXX.XX, or from me for $XX.XX and I'll ship it to you.
    SC: *click*
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

I don't know how many wrongs make a right, but I know 3 lefts do.
    "Good evening, ignorant pigs. Put down your crack pipes and your beer bongs and pay attention." ~ Head of Richard Nixon

Comment

Yet another person that thought he was being smooth and cheating the system gets beat! Great story!

Comment

Here's another good one from today. Unless time travel was involved, I don't see the logic here. 72 hours = 3 days, not 3 weeks.

SC: Yeah, I called in the other day and another girl offered me a Blackberry for $149.99. So I'm at the store and they said $249.99.
        ME: Hmm, I see you called us back on 03/02 and we did offer that to you. And it looks like the rep informed you that the offer would be valid for 72 hours (because he wasn't eligible for any discount, but it seems her sup was feeling generous).
        SC: Yeah, she said she'd give me some time to think it over, so now I'm calling back.
        ME: Yes, you had 72 hours before the offer expired. That was on 03/02. Today is the 20th.
        SC: Look, I broke my phone and I need a new one. I can't be without a phone for a minute, since I use it for my business.
        ME (but you've already been without a phone this long): I understand how important it is to have a functioning device. Now, you do have insurance on your device, which covers damage.
        SC: Yeah, but the deductible is like $110, and I think that's a ripoff. I might as well buy a new one, but they want too much for it. I mean, any other company would probably give me one free.
        ME :Let me see if there's anything else I can do. (Put on Hold to talk to my sup)

SUP: What's up?
        ME: Are you in a good mood?
        SUP: That depends. What do they want?
        ME (explains situation, that this guy who still has another 16 months on his contract from his last upgrade broke his device and he didn't feel like paying the insurance deductible to have it replaced, but thinks he should get a lower price, and how he was offered a lower price and let the offer bounce around in his brain for 3 weeks before calling back)
        SUP: Hell no. Offer him the full discount, that's already going above and beyond for him. We shouldn't even offer him that, but someone already did. Why reward him being lazy?

ME: So I can offer you the current maximum discount available, which is $199.99.
        SC: But the other girl said $149.99.
        ME: Yes she did. 3 weeks ago. That offer is expired.
        SC: Fine, I'll just have to do some shopping around if you guys won't bend for me.

Comment

He didn't want you to bend. He wanted you to bend over.

Comment

Quoth VoodooSquirrel View Post
            I don't know how many wrongs make a right, but I know 3 lefts do.
            Damn you for beating me to it, Voodoo Squirrel.

And Kara, just wait until he calls in again.
            "So, $199.99 for a phone?"
            "Couldn't find a better deal, huh?"
            "Nope."
            "Don't forget the tax."
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              He didn't want you to bend. He wanted you to bend over.
              I thought of that after I posted as I dashed back to my desk to get logged back in on time. You beat me to it

And Juwl, I'd love to be on the other end of that call, but there's a slim chance I'll ever talk to him again. Guess that's not such a bad thing. I get other customers like this that other reps have already dealt with though.

CS: I called in earlier and they offered me this, and *grumble grumble* I'll take it I guess.
              ME: Yeah, I see here you were going to "consider" the offer and take a look around. Glad to hear we had the best deal for you after all

Comment

So he'd rather spend 150 bucks instead of 110 to get his phone replaced through the insurance company when he has another year and a half on his contract...? This saves him money how?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  So he'd rather spend 150 bucks instead of 110 to get his phone replaced through the insurance company when he has another year and a half on his contract...? This saves him money how?
                  He must be using Corporate Math from the sound of it.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

So he'd rather spend 150 bucks instead of 110
                    He's hoping the threat of losing him as a customer will make the OP (Sorry, I forgot who posted this) stumble over her own feet trying to get his business back.
                    Dur-hey.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

So he'd rather spend 150 bucks instead of 110 <snip>? This saves him money how?
                      I keep telling you--If it makes sense, it's not allowed.®
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        I keep telling you--If it makes sense, it's not allowed.®
                        A bit late on this thread, but is it possible the Blackberry he got offered for $149.99 was a newer, shinier model? Because I can see it would make sense to pay an extra $40 for a much newer, better phone, rather than get the insurance company to replace the older model that broke for $110.

I used to work for a telecommunications company and we got sooooo many customers that got a 'free' phone with their 2 year contracts and would then call us 6 months in to ask if we would replace their phones, because "It's broken and I still have 18 months to go on my plan".
                        Me: Did you purchase the insurance we offered you when we signed you up?
                        Them: NO! That costs $12 a month! I'm not paying that!
                        Me: Then we can't replace the handset you dropped in the toilet/ran over with your car/dunked in the river.
                        Them: But it's YOUR JOB to give me a new phone! You can't possibly expect me to pay for a new one?!

Because they were in a contract, they thought we had an obligation to provide them with a never ending supply of new handsets. People, that is what insurance is there for! If your house burns down, do you ask the builders to build a new one free of charge? If you get burgled and the burglars take your plasma TV, do you demand the store replace it for free, because you really, really need one?

I think they thought we got the handsets for free from the manufacturer and just charged for them when we were feeling nasty. They were usually the same customers who told me to 'skip all that stuff' when I tried to go through the verbal contract for a new phone - all they cared about was getting their "FREE PHONE!!!" (With all the bells and whistles most of em weren't smart enough to use or to realise would make the handset huge, chunky and slow)
                        I swear, that was all they heard - not '2 year contractual obligation' or '$500 penalty fee for early cancellation' or the other stuff I desperately tried to cram into their thick skulls.

Wow, it's been six months since I left that job but I must be carrying the mental scars still!

Comment

Quoth Best Made Tacos View Post
                          Wow, it's been six months since I left that job but I must be carrying the mental scars still!
                          I'm still living it. I had a woman the other day stunned that we billed for her for service on a phone.

"They told me it was a free phone!"

"Yes ma'am, the phone was free, but you have to pay for the service."

"WHAT?!!"

and so I weep for humanity.

Another thing I've learned working in this business: Everyone thinks they are entitled to a free phone, EVERYONE.
                          Last edited by MadMike; 05-06-2007, 06:51 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                            I'm still living it. I had a woman the other day stunned that we billed for her for service on a phone.

"They told me it was a free phone!"

"Yes ma'am, the phone was free, but you have to pay for the service."

"WHAT?!!"

and so I weep for humanity.

Another thing I've learned working in this business: Everyone thinks they are entitled to a free phone, EVERYONE.
                            What did the idiot think, you were a company that just GAVE EVERYTHING AWAY? Because, really, why charge for anything? It's not like you were in the business of making money, or something like that.

Ugh, I cringe when I see the advertising for 'free' handsets. I can understand it's a great draw but it also seems to deactivate the critical thinking portion of the customer's brain. Haven't they heard the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"?

Comment

HAHAHA! Reminds me of Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- (Paraphrased, lol)

Bloo: FREE?!? That's totally in my budget! I'll take eight of them!

Salesman: Sure thing, please sign here here here here here here here here and here....

(signs away)

Salesman: Here you go, here are your pagers, and here is your bill for $936 for the monthly service.

Bloo: WHAT? That's not free! .... Rip-off Artist! (Kicks salesguy in shins and runs away)

(JAM loves Bloo 4-Eva!)
                              "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Working...
                              X