This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone henna?

I'm thinking about going red, and chemical haircolor always fades so fast. Does henna last longer? Is it a pain to apply? I read a package that said leaving it on for an hour deposits more color, and I could do that; I could go about housework as long as the mixture doesn't come off easily. Any advice? Opinions? TIA.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I have a shampoo with henna in it, that gradually adds henna-red tint to my hair whenever I use it.

I love the colour; it looks very natural. There was a period of time when I couldn't afford the shampoo, and the fading back to my natural muddy-blonde went quite naturally - there's no artificial line between the two shades.

With the henna-shampoo, you just use it like a normal shampoo. If you want more intensity in a particular wash, just leave it in for a while like leaving in a hair dye.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have occasionally done the classic henna leaf powder hair dying.

OK. Done correctly with the dried ground leaf it is a holy freaking terror of a mess. You glorp this muck into your hair, making sure not to get it on exposed skin [it will dye the skin not just hair] and then wrap your head in plastic to keep it moistish, and figure out some way to keep it warmish [heat lamp or hood hair dryer] and read a book or something for about an hour.

Then you rinse. And rinse. And rinse. Did I mention it is a greenish glorpy muck? Imagine your head spent an hour mudwrestling. Rinse some more. Best rinse out I ever had was at our summer cottage, we sat in the lake with my head mostly submerged and Rob woodgied my hair and scalp for almost half an hour until all the glorp was finally gone.

Color was an absolutely radiant bronze, but I will go with chemicals from now on. [Actually I see no reason to dy unless it is a temp color and purple or green or something totally unknown in nature.]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My friend has a great tutorial for henna: http://lilkawaiivampire.deviantart.c...lery/#/d4xncfi

She's Red the Cat (I think) on here, but I don't think she's been online for a long while.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

AD, you're making me think I should just go with Colorsilk, which I like. I'm just not sure how to keep it from fading so fast.

Comment

My sister used to use henna, but if you have any grey hair, henna will turn it pink. Not a problem if you don't mind that, I guess.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ways to keep colour (especially red) from fading:

1. Only use coolish water to wash your hair.
              2. Only use a pH-balanced shampoo & conditioner.
              3. Use a conditioning masque or mud right after dying, then repeat weekly.
              4. COOL WATER ONLY.
              5. Reduce the number of times/week you wash your hair (if possible).
              6. If you're in chemically-treated water, tuck your hair under a bathing cap.
              7. GODDAMNIT STOP USING HOT WATER!

Ahem.

This message has been brought to you by the Woman Who Always Dyes Her Hair.

Comment

I always use very warm water, and my hair is porous (in that it's curly). I guess I could try washing with cool water if I only stick my head under the showerhead (wash facing forward). Otherwise I'd get cold. I do only wash it every other day. I'm still intrigued by henna, though. Light Mountain has a burgundy, bright red, and red (just the henna in that one). I'd combine the bright red and burgundy to get a wine color. When I use chem color, I mix a light burgundy with a bright auburn and I get an intense red with different facets. But I'm thinking I may try L'Oreal intense copper red.

Comment

My hair is incredibly curly (remember my wedding photos? Yeah, that was just them enhancing my natural curl), and I can get red dye to stay fairly bright for well more than the six weeks recommended by most dyes.

What I've found is that if I wash my hair first, before the water gets really warm (old building, old pipes, old heater), then I can pin it up out of the way, and enjoy a hot shower.

The other thing I do is apply a couple layers of product (leave-in conditioner, mousse) before drying (and then, on a cooler setting with a diffuser), then finish with a pomade that has UV protection. It helps keep my hair healthy, too!

Yes, it takes me a full hour to get ready in the morning. And that's assuming I don't apply makeup...

Comment

Working...
                  X