This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost question.

I have a compost (old garbage can that was cleaned and drilled holes in it). Below our chicken cages gets a lot of hay (that falls though) and it will typically have a lot of chicken poop in it.

I know chicken poop can make a good fertilizer - is it OK to use this hay / poop in the compost (well, will it be worth it is more like the question)?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Yeah, I use some from a friend's chickens and chuck it in the compost bin to speed the composting process along. My garden seems to be quite happy with the arrangement and since the chicken poop is broken down and somewhat diluted, I haven't had any issues with it 'burning' the plants.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I live in chicken country. There are two chicken processing plants just off of downtown (Tyson's and Koch Foods). Around here, chicken poop is gold. Neighbor uses it to fertilize his horse pastures every other year. As I am usually down wind, it stinks to high heaven, but the blow over has helped my yard.

It is best if you let it dry out before you compost.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The chicken poop will definitely boost the nitrogen (read: helps with leaf growth) content of the compost. As with any form of manure, it should only be used on a garden after it is composted (and carnivore/omnivore manure, such as canine or feline "presents", should not be used on a garden at all).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X