Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What Suggestions For The April Book?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Club: What Suggestions For The April Book?

First, I'd like to apologize. I got caught up with a lot of RL stuff recently (another post will appear in this forum later to start explaining), and I let the calendar dates get away from me. I'm running a bit late for this thread.

Last month, we had a lot of suggestions for the book to read, and this resulted in, really, not much of a competition for what was next. 8 books got voted on, 1 book got 3 votes, and another 9 books got zero votes. So, to help make the book selection a bit livelier of a process, I'm to going to experiment with it a bit.

The process, going forward, will look like this (and can be tweaked again if it's broken, this is just where it is right now):

The top three losers from the previous month will be added to the poll for next month. In the event of a tie (and not enough slots), random selection will come into play (seriously, I'll actually have the computer pick from the list at random). Those three will be the first three slots on the list.

Once done, I'll open a new thread, and ask for suggestions after listing those three. The first three suggestions from individual people will become the remaining three slots. So, if you post two suggestions, only the first one will be taken from you. I'll also vary the time of day that I post, so that people in vastly different timezones get opportunities to get their books on the list, too.

No book will be allowed to stay on the list for more than three months. After three months, it's off for the next three months.

There's no hard and fast rules about sequels, but I think we should try to avoid them.

The list so far has these three titles on it:
    • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
    • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
    • Lord Foul's Bane (Chronicles of Thomas Covenant #1)

What shall the other three titles be?

I don't know if you're sticking to a particular genre or even limiting it to just fiction, but if you do consider nonfiction, I just finished a fantastic book I would like to HIGHLY recommend. It's called "America Walks Into A Bar," by Christine Sismondo, and despite sounding like the beginning of a joke, it's actually a well-researched and excellently written book that examines the long history and evolution of the bar in America, including its place in American history, American politics, and American life in general.

If you're at all into history, politics, sociology, and/or have enjoyed some time at a bar or twelve as I have, it is a fantastic read. And unlike many history books, it is not overly clinical, but very easy to read without being a dumbed down pile of crap.

Seriously, this is a great book. And on that note, I think I'll have a beer.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I know my choice got picked last month,but I will re submit the wife's (FMA_Fanatic) first choice from last month.

Feed By Mira Grant
      Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
      Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
      Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

And I'm going to re-submit mine from last time: Rosemary and Rue by Seanan MacGuire.

So now we have two of her books on the list.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I submitted one non-fiction entry...thought I would submit a fiction entry. One of my favorite books of all time is "Hawk of May," by Gillian Bradshaw. This is the first book in a trilogy (or were there four?), all of which were very good, but this one is the beginning, and sets everything up...and is a complete story in its own, without needed the sequels to make it work. It is another view of the King Arthur tale, from the viewpoint of a very likeable character, who just happens to be the son of Arthur's greatest enemy, and recognizing his mother for what she is, goes about trying to help Arthur succeed in his vision of Camelot. I have probably butchered the whole thing by trying to explain it here, but I've held this book near and dear to my heart for over 20 years, maybe even 30, and I do highly recommend it for anyone into fantasy, and who wants a very different take on a story that most of us thought we knew...

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

As I said above: The first three entries from different people got added. The pool is visible at Goodreads right now.

I haven't voted yet, because I haven't even read the summaries for all the books. Have at it, and decide what we're reading next, everybody.

Poll closes April 24, so you've only got a week.

Comment

Just a reminder to everybody: Go and vote. We've only got three votes in, including my own. Would be very nice to see more of them.

Oh, and I voted for Feed. I'll admit it. I like zombies, and think that book sounds quite interesting. Who all voted for what? And why?

Comment

I voted for Rosemary and Rue. Y'know, my book selection and all :P

But I'll be honest, if we do Feed, I...may not be able to finish it. I have a hard time with horror stories (ask Kabe about me reading Lovecraft. It's not happy).
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I voted to Jester's non-fiction choice. Something completely different to what I have been reading, and it sounds like it might be interesting :-)

Comment

And we currently have a tie!

Rosemary and Rue are tied, two votes apiece. Will somebody break it? Or will we have to find new rules for ties?

Comment

I've seen a request come in to join the group on goodreads. However, whoever sent it didn't answer the question about what is your CS forum name.

If it was somebody from this forum, please re-ask, and supply the screen name. Otherwise, just ignore this post.

Thank you!

Comment

And the poll has spoken. The book for the next month is Feed, by Mira Grant. That link gives the places that Goodreads knows of to buy it at whatever discounts can be had. Use it if you wish, or go to the library and check it out.

We'll open up the discussion thread on May 23 (a little early, but I'm hoping to get things on the right schedule by end of June).

Comment

as a consolation to the rosemary and rue voters. Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant. they are the same person. found that out when i grabbed our copy from the pile in Wife's BR.
                          Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                          Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                          Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

sweet! i've never read any zombie books, so this'll be fun. and i'm 1 of 1 holds already, so should be here soon.

Comment

I knew they were the same person; I just don't do horror novels. I'll try it, but if I get spooked, I'm dropping it.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X