Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look what chased my Dad and one of his dogs through the woods Sunday morning.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what chased my Dad and one of his dogs through the woods Sunday morning.

So, yeah. Probably most of you ain't gonna believe this, and I can't say I blame you because it pretty much defies belief.

Anyways, the Old Man was in the wood walking with his lab, Lily, and all of a sudden she comes blasting out of the bushes being chased by an emu.

No, that's not a typo. And no, we don't live in Australia. We live in South Carolina.

So the dog runs straight to him, the emu in hot pursuit. So like any thinking individual would do when faced by an angry animal capable of kicking your head off, he quite reasonably hauled ass.

No, we are not mistaken. It was, in fact, an emu. My cousin, who is a professional wildlife photographer, took a pic of it while it was strutting around my parent's yard. (it chased Dad home).

Turns out the woman down the road who keeps exotic birds had an emu escape. and the Animal Control dude that showed up was not amused. Evidently he has literally been down this road before and actually had equipment to corral the thing. He read her the riot act.

My sister is convinced the family property is located in some sort of Vortex of Weird. I'm inclined to agree.

Here's a pic my cousin took:
    Attached Files

Sounds like an emusing tale for the grandkids *slinks off and hides in a corner*

On a serious note: A family whose two kids I went to High School with had a pet wild cat (lynx or something similar IIRC). I'll let you guess what happened, though fortunately no one was killed.

The neighbors behind my parents house raise Exotic birds, though no Emu's, they do have an Ostrich or two. They have never had an incident in the 20 years my parents have lived there. (knock on wood)

Either way, ya just gotta be careful with these animals, your Old Man did the right thing.

Comment

Your dad and Seraph would get along so well.

Comment

As funny as this story is, this is not the first time her animals have gotten out, and it's not the first time her emus have gotten out, either. And those thing are pretty dangerous. I'm glad Dad is still strong and spry, this story could have gone bad quick.

Being chased by emus isn't something we think about when we go walking in the woods around here.

Comment

I was at the Everglades once and they had emus and I was afraid when it came close to me. Them things are huge.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
            Them things are huge.
            Huge, mean, and armed. Glad your dad was able to outrun it.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
              Your dad and Seraph would get along so well.
              I think we'd want to keep Seraph (known Enemy Of Nature [/thunder]) AWAY from Kink's dad's area.

I doubt she wants a repeat of the peacock incident with a bird about twice to three times the size.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I must hear about this Peacock Incident of which you speak! Do tell!

Comment

Here it is! http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=88529

Yeah, we really don't want Kink's dad and Seraph meeting...nature might explode!
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    I must hear about this Peacock Incident of which you speak! Do tell!
                    Ask and ye shall receive.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Beat you to it Jay! :P
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                        Beat you to it Jay! :P
                        ... and you're sure strutting and spreading your fan ...

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

LOL Rob's dad has a now deceased from natural causes [other than animal attack] who kept exotics - he supplied a lot of Cal Worthington's 'dogs'

Somewhere we have a picture of Rob Sr wrestling with LT ['little tiger']
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            ... and you're sure strutting and spreading your fan ...

I am in the strangest mood today. So I'm spreading a bit of color today ^^
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=88402

Don't forget the stick!!

Comment

Working...
                              X