This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Would Be Stealing

So a few days ago I was in the local Mart of W picking up a few things. In line at the checkout and struck up a bit of conversation with the guy in line behind me. Started out with me commenting to the lady in front of me that I was in no hurry when she apologized for her transaction taking so long (cashier was waiting for someone to come and do some override, getting upset about it is not going to accomplish anything useful).

So this guy and I chat a bit about something inconsequential, don't even remember what, and this older (than me, anyhow) woman shows up, is apparently there with the guy I'm talking to. She makes some comment about how he always finds some woman to flirt with when his wife isn't around. Guessing she was either mom or mom-in-law. Eh, whatever, I wasn't flirting. Conversation turns to sales at local groceries, and how the Mart price matches. Guy is saying he really likes the cashier whose line we're in, because she always just takes his word for price matching and doesn't need to see an ad from a local competitor. Yes, one of those. Lovely. Make some non-committal noises and face back around front when...

The woman with him pipes up with "Yea, it's great that she doesn't check ads, you can get really expensive stuff and tell them any price you want! It's really cheap that way. I do it all the time. You should do that."

Me: "That's stealing. I won't do that."

Her: "Yea, I guess it is. That's why I don't do that."
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Wow. My neck hurts from the whiplash on that one!
    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Thus why I have my ads with me (as many of my fellow Mart of Wal cashiers do) and when something seems fishy, I look it up. And oh yeah, I do have the ads from the neighboring town as well, because I live there

If I had happened to overhear the people you were talking to (which I'm pretty good at), I'd have my ads ready
      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Oh I had my ads with me and ready, but the cashier didn't even ask to see them. It was the sudden reversal at the end of the conversation that just blew me away. I think the guy was embarrassed too, he didn't even try to say anything else.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Oh I so would have told the cashier what he said.

Comment

It's entirely possible that the cashier heard the conversation. I was next in line at this point, and the cashier was not in conversation with her current customer. I don't think she really cared, though. After all, she's 'following policy'.

Comment

Working...
            X