Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and a strong aversion to the odour of habitual smokers, especially those that obviously smoke in the home/car as the smell of ash is caked into their clothing and skin, but I try not to discriminate against that at work.

In fact they're often tradespeople with a lot of spare cash to spend, which has worked to my benefit more than once.

Comment

You don't need to explain. I understand, and many others here do as well. Sod those that question your hubby. It really doesn't matter what he looks like. He's been to work, that isn't a crime.
      Last edited by MadMike; 07-22-2014, 08:07 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

I've got to believe that working on diesels is not exactly a clean job. If he's dirty from that....whatever....At least he's doing more than the snooty folks deriding him....

Comment

My dad owned a chevron station. My mother finally gave up and started using a uniform service because she couldn't get his uniforms clean. This started way back when they all dressed in white, because white makes perfect sense for working around dirty cars and their fluids. Then they switched to French blue pants and light blue shirts. They still were sent to the uniform service. She would toss them into the garage into a dedicated basket after he got into the shower when he got home, then bundle them up once a week for him to take to work for the service.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
            So maybe two months after we moved to town, he got stopped by an old biddy. She told him he needed to STOP living off the system, get a job and stop wasting tax payer dollars on booze and cigarettes. And then she told him to go shower.

My husband is not one to get offended by such nonsense. In fact he enjoys the attention. He is proud of his job. Everyone that has spoken to him knows he makes nearly 30 bucks an hour. Including the cashiers that are watching stifling laughter. Hubby turns around and just stares at at this woman. Does not say ANYTHING. Just forces his eyes out of his socket at her. She went to the next line over. And hubby being his usual self just stood there probably giving the old biddy a heart attack thinking he was a homicidal maniac or something. She left in a hurry. Hubby laughed his ass off and so did the cashiers. They were like I can't believe you did that. Old biddy called the management I guess and complained. The cashiers told hubby she was not happy management was not gonna ban him.
            That one incident is all the reason your husband needs to keep on doing what he has been doing. Every busy body old biddy should get that same treatment.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

As for the clean thing: I'm kinda a mechanic now. (I recycle motors: I tear them apart and take the good parts upstairs for them to sell.) I wash my hands and face before I leave work, but that stuff gets EVERYWHERE. I have work clothes now specifically because of how messy my job is. Nobody has ever given me a problem.

Comment

It's no ones business what I'm wearing in a store,whether my clothes are dirty or not. Also, There's a difference between a motor oil smell and the smell of unwashed bodies (believe me, if you've never had the pleasure of a true "no baths for months" smell...wooooah).

OP, at least the cashiers are aware of your hubby and can find humor in those situations. Who cares who else isn't?

Comment

Hubby takes care of the gas station girls. He has bought them lunch when they have gone without, bought gas so they could get home. Stayed in the store when there are creepy ne'er do wells oogling the girls. He even bought in a tshirt for one of the girls. Apparently the guys would stare at her boobs. ALOT. So he brought her a shirt that said in big bold letters STOP LOOKING AT MY SHIRT.

She was tickled.

Yeah hes a bit older than these girls. We are in our 30's and these girls are teens or their early 20s. But they are good kids. When he brings our 2 year old in, he likes to flirt with the girls and they help him get a cookie and open his juice. They even remember he likes apples.

And since hubby has on more than one occasion had to pay in change for his cigarettes and beer, he says it breeds goodwill to be good to them. They are less likely to have issues with $7 in change if hes friendly than if hes creepy.

Comment

And since hubby has on more than one occasion had to pay in change for his cigarettes and beer, he says it breeds goodwill to be good to them. They are less likely to have issues with $7 in change if hes friendly than if hes creepy.
                    This is oh so very, very true. When I worked in c-stores, I would happily accept lots of change from friendly regulars, even one time going so far as to accept almost $10 in unrolled pennies. Spent most of the rest of that shift rolling pennies. Just some random person in off the street? Or one of the 'regulars' that was just creepy and tended to squick me out? Nope, I can only take up to $1 in pennies, and they have to be rolled.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
                      Hubby takes care of the gas station girls. ...
                      So he just treats them like fellow human beings? That's special enough right there!

Comment

Hubby does not do pennies. Only silver change. He is anti pennies. I have pennies everywhere in this house.

Hubby tends to treat any female that gives him food cigarettes or beer well. We had a waitress (this is a LONG time ago lol) who was new. She was delivering food to the table beside us and dropped the whole tray on them. It was a mess. They were furious, she was upset. Hubby took it in stride. Joked with her please don't drop the food on him, he didn't want to dirty his car.

The people beside us didn't leave a tip not surprisingly. We left $20 on a 40 dollar tab.

We went today as a family to register our kids for school and stopped at the gas station to get the Colt his donut and juice. The girl behind the counter (who I don't know) knows his name, knows hubby's name. Pulls his cigarettes. And helps colt open his juice and pick out a donut. This is a BIG gas station. They have at least 10 pumps Maybe 15. They probably have 15-20 people in the store at any time all the time. They are Never not busy. And to remember us and our son and to be helpful, always amazes me. The guy behind the counter just kinda chuckled at our son. yanking the cashier around the store to help him. She had to hold his hand. She coughed he asked if she was okay (Hes 2 with a bit of a speech impediment) and then told her to be careful.

Comment

Pennies are money, and all money spends. I toss my pennies in a box with the rest of my loose change and about twice a year run it through the change machine at my bank and walk out with about $100.

You can send me your pennies if you don't want 'em!
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X