This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend was almost roadkill

So after a period of sun, we had a blustery rainy night. My friend was driving home on the highway doing 50mph when a tree suddenly fell across the road right in front of her!

The airbags deployed and my friend is fortunately okay, but the pics show how bad it was. Her car is a total loss:

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Your friend is quite lucky.

Though the one surname outs my RL identity somewhat, this was what happened to my cousins when a rotten tree fell onto her boyfriend's car while she and her daughters were passengers: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tree-fal...-little-girls/

Comment

Ouch, Draco. My sympathies to your family.

kittykat, your friend was very lucky.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

This occasionally happens to trains, too. A train generally being a lot bigger and heavier than the tree, it tends to survive better, but it can still cause a lot of damage.

Here's one that hit a tree at 90mph:

The driver had time to duck behind his console before impact, so he escaped with "cuts and bruises", as they say. The power car was eventually given a new cab (they're made of fibreglass) and returned to service. Nobody else was hurt at all.

However, the tree knocked out the speed sensor which the entire train's anti-skid equipment relied on, so with the emergency brakes already applied, the train slid with locked wheels for almost a mile before coming to a halt. This wore such severe 'flats' in the wheels that the rescue engine had to tow the train at 5mph for safety, after technicians spent several hours examining the damage. The passengers were very glad to get off once the train finally reached the next station.

Comment

Working...
        X