This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Loudmouth

So today I ran into someone who behaved as if they were the only person in existence.

I'm in a very small store and using the automated check-out. I'm pretty quick at this thing, but I have a stack of items. There's also a long line for the regular check out.

In comes Mrs. Loudmouth who proceeds to stand 1 foot behind me and loom while I'm scanning my purchases. Her little daughter goes skipping around the checkout area, Tra-la-la-la-la, totally ignored by Mrs. Loudmouth. Now, I don't mind hurrying up if I know someone is waiting, but for goodness' sake, she was practically breathing down my neck and was making me nervous by her proximity.

Suddenly, Mrs. Loudmouth gets a phone call. She backs up a few spaces, but then says, "Oh, let me put you on Speaker." She then proceeds to have a very loud and obnoxious conversation with her realtor about her home inspection, what's wrong with the house, and what it will cost to fix. And how much less she can get from her buyers. Mrs. Loudmouth is loud enough that the entire small store can hear both sides of the conversation. She continues to ignore the skipping daughter.

Not to mention she stood there, blocking the self-checkout but not using it.

Admittedly, I could have shown some restraint, but between the crowding and speakerphone conversation, I was quite annoyed. On my way out of the store, I asked the still-ignored skipping daughter, "Is your mommy always this loud and rude?"

I got cursed at by Mrs. Loudmouth, of course. (And probably deserved it, but she deserved it too.)

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
    So today I ran into someone who behaved as if they were the only person in existence.
    My partner at the c-store and I used to sing a little song when we encountered these - "There's no one in the world, but me, there's no one in the world, but me...."

the still-ignored skipping daughter, "Is your mommy .... (And probably deserved it, but she deserved it too.)
    While I don't agree with the passive aggressive approach with the daughter, I heartily commend you on calling the mother out. More of us should do so - corporations have tied the hands of employees to curb these snowflakes, so it falls on us.

Comment

Just throw your two cents in.

"Well, lady, maybe ya shoulda fixed that broken sink beforehand, and done something about that flaky outlet.."

Hey, it's obviously an open conversation, why not.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I hate people that have to catch up on their life stories in the doorway of the supermarket...

Comment

I'm curious what the woman said to you when she found out what you'd said to her daughter.

Also, good on you for saying something!

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            I'm curious what the woman said to you when she found out what you'd said to her daughter.
            She probably just dropped an F-bomb on SnakeLady. People that loud and obnoxious generally aren't terribly clever.

And I agree you did the right thing in speaking up about her behavior, even if it was a little passive-aggressive. It's also good for the daughter to see that Mommy's bad behavior is not liked by other people.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, I just got an Eff You. Nothing super creative.

Comment

Suddenly, Mrs. Loudmouth gets a phone call. She backs up a few spaces, but then says, "Oh, let me put you on Speaker." She then proceeds to have a very loud and obnoxious conversation with her realtor about her home inspection, what's wrong with the house, and what it will cost to fix. And how much less she can get from her buyers. Mrs. Loudmouth is loud enough that the entire small store can hear both sides of the conversation.
                This is when you stop checking out, turn and stare at her, listening intently to the conversation. Since it is loud and in a public place, she obviously wants you to be part of it.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  This is when you stop checking out, turn and stare at her, listening intently to the conversation. Since it is loud and in a public place, she obviously wants you to be part of it.
                  Don't forget to take notes! There may be a quiz later.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I would have had fun with that conversation if it had happened here. Of course, I know every real estate agent in my county, so the odds are good that I'd be able to recognize the voice and say Hi to someone I knew on the other end of her phone call. The fun of rural living, lol.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
                      I would have had fun with that conversation if it had happened here. Of course, I know every real estate agent in my county, so the odds are good that I'd be able to recognize the voice and say Hi to someone I knew on the other end of her phone call. The fun of rural living, lol.
                      "Hi susan! how are you doing?"

XD
                      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
                      X