This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakin' me up and makin' me grumpy

I was woken up by a call at 2:34am this morning from a number I didn't recognize. I answered it in case it was someone from the paper calling because something disastrous happened with the newspaper shipment from the printer (though usually we just get a mass text from the manager when that happens).

Me: "Hmmm....hello?"
    Caller: "Yeah, this is [Supervisor from Hubby's workplace]. Is [Hubs] there?"
    Me: *kicks husband awake* "Hey, [Hubs], it's for you."
    Hubs: "Ungh, wha?"

Turns out, he was calling to see if Hubs could pick up a shift that day.

The only way they would have my number would be because I'm listed as an emergency contact for Hubs. Other supervisors have called Hubs phone no problem, and this one didn't even try (we checked Hubby's phone and verified no missed calls), so this guy must have gone through the trouble to look up the emergency contact list in order to call me to ask Hubs into work.

That's...that's not a reason to call the emergency contact at 2:34 in the freaking morning.

I mean, I have the paper route, so that's actually not that early for me so it wasn't that huge a deal (My alarm goes off at 3am), but for normal people that would be insanely early! Just...why would you do that?!
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 08-03-2014, 02:10 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

In a situation like that, I'd be tempted to tell them "No, I *WON'T* wake up $person_you_wanted, and because you chose to call me and not them, I'm going to set their phone on silent".
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Would it be worth it to contact that manager's superior and file a complaint? What he did was definitely out of line.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Waking me up at that hour I guarantee you I'm going to be pretty grumpy, and when I find out it's not a emergency I will be singing you a four-letter aria you won't forget until I see you in person and really let you have it!

Comment

Waking me up at that hour will guarantee a "Grand Central Station, how the f@ck may I direct your d@mn call?!" And that's if I'm in a good mood. My family know that after 9:00pm, someone had better be dead or dying before they call. Anything else, including asking for bail (per extended family - all because of a "hold my beer" moment), can wait until a reasonable hour.. like after 9:00am!
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Reminds me of that Bill Engval bit about his daughter's would-be suitors calling the house at the wee hours.

Dude: "Uhhh, is Emily there?"
            Bill: "Duuude, if you have a brain in your skull, you will hang this phone up right now."
            Mrs. Engval: "Bill, you gotta be nice."
            Bill: "No, ma'am, nice stops at midnight."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              Reminds me of that Bill Engval bit about his daughter's would-be suitors calling the house at the wee hours.

Bill: "Duuude, if you have a brain in your skull, you will hang this phone up right now."
              I always liked that one - because it did happen to us. My response was more mundane, though. "No, you can NOT talk to <daughter>, she's asleep because it's 3 in the morning. Talk to her at school tomorrow." <click>
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

Love this bit!

I frequently take call for work and even I'm not happy being called at it-better-not-be-what-time-I-think-it-is o'clock for actual (well, according to the bored ER doc on staff) emergencies. In fact, I get rather grouchy, especially since 99.9% of the time, it's nothing.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

*chortles* When I was a teen, a male friend called my house. I had a migraine and had turned in early (8pm) to sleep off the darn thing. Mind, I had already told him that calling after 8pm might not be a good idea, but I vaguely remember Mom asking me if I wanted to take the call. I also vaguely remember tell her, "Tell him I'm in bed. Tell him I'm sick. Tell him I'm dead." Mom told him I was sleeping off a migraine and that I'd talk to him at school, damn her.

He asked me if Mom gave me the message that morning. I said I remember telling her the above, when she stupidly asked me last night. He got a laugh out of it, but he didn't call after 8pm from there on.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                  X