This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome customer makes horrid night seem like nothing

Fate missed the memo apparently, about how good things are supposed to happen on 7-7-7, because on just the 3rd call of the night, things started to go awry.

We got a call about a dead Jeep Cherokee, so we went out to pick it up. Luckily, it wasn’t one of the AWD models, it had a neutral-selectable t-case, so we only needed the lift and straps for the rear wheels, no dollies. The owner doesn’t have a ride to pick him up, so he’s tagging along with us. 3 guys crammed into the cab of an F-450 does not comfort make but we do our best.

We’re soon driving along towards the dealership, shooting the breeze to pass the time. The owner correctly guesses between my lack of a uniform (haven’t been issued mine yet, using an expendable work shirt and jeans for now) and the other driver explaining everything to me that I’m the new guy. He asks how long I’ve been on the job, 4 days, and this is only my 3rd real tow, just got my DOT card the other day, so this is my first day behind the wheel “for real”. “Don’t let me rush you” he says. We joke a bit more, and the conversation somehow drifts to how rare it is for us to get a calm and easy customer, since we do a lot of property towing or towing for people who aren’t having the best of days. “People should just relax and take things in stride” the owner says. Then, as if on cue, there’s a loud POW! BAM! SCREEEEEEEECH! BAM! BAM!

For those of you playing at home, hat was the sound of the Jeep’s right rear tire blowing out, the tow strap flying off, the tow bar pulling out, dropping the good wheel and tire on the pavement at 45 mph and skidding to a halt as the guy driving slams on the brakes while screaming “What the f*** was that?” he’s out of the cab before I even know what’s happened and assesses the damage. We reinsert the wheel lifts and break out the dollies, since the flat means the whole thing now needs off the ground. To make matters worse, we notice in the dark that the Jeep is just covered, from roof to rocker panel with something wet and oily…. Turns out when the Jeep left the wheel lift, it cut the wheel lift’s hydraulic line, dousing the whole vehicle in a spray of hydraulic fluid.

We get the car secured and get back into the truck and relay the info to the owner. There’s no damage to his Jeep, but we owe him a new tire, and a car wash and apologizing up, down, sideways and at some angles that I don't even think are geometric possibilities. He just busts out laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole situation and says not to worry bout' it, it's just a car.

We offer to waive the dolly fee, since it wasn’t his fault he needed them now, he accepted us paying for the new tire, but insisted on paying for the dollies anyway. We drop him off at the dealership where his ride is waiting, then take the Jeep back to the garage, hose it down with degreaser and the whole night crew goes to work to scrub it down and dry it off. 1 hour later, we switch trucks and get it back to the dealership. We then have to spread quick dry all over the lot because our mortally wounded truck has been bleeding fluid like a stuck pig. The rest of the night is taken up by cleanup and filing the incident reports.

What an awful night, but what an awesome customer.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Yikes!

You know what I think? I think that something really disastrous was scheduled to happen, but since it's 7/7/7, it turned into something really alarming, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

wow-a person that has priorities in life figured out-that's rare, sadly too many people are too materialistic.

Katt-"there are two kinds of problems in life, the ones that you can fix, and the ones that you can't. No sense worrying about the ones you can fix, and no sense worrying about the ones you can't" - Bo the Sheep from U.S. Acres
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

That is awesome. I'd like to think I would be like that guy. Things happen when you're on the road, and I try to take them in stride, like when I got a screw in my tire and didn't notice anything amiss until I was almost home. Don't know how long I was actually driving on the flat but luckily it didn't damage the wheel itself and my dad was able to put air in to hold me till I got to Sears for a new one. I think if I was in his situation the only thing I'd be able to do would be laugh...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
          "there are two kinds of problems in life, the ones that you can fix, and the ones that you can't. No sense worrying about the ones you can fix, and no sense worrying about the ones you can't" - Bo the Sheep from U.S. Acres
          Bo the Sheep... one of my ALL TIME heroes!
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
          X