Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

verbally attacking another customer (strong language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
    It's not jobs that americans won't do, It's jobs americans won't do at slave wages.
    I don't really agree. I don't have hard facts about it, but I do have a lot of anecdotes about that particular line of thought.

I worked in a homeless shelter, and they were pissed at immigrants (I have no idea if they were here legally or illegally) taking all the jobs. It was something I heard over and over. When I would ask the guys why they wouldn't take a job cleaning rooms in a hotel (something that isn't hard to find here in St Louis) for ~ $9.00 an hour, they would mutter and walk off. One of the guys in the shelter actually did take a job cleaning rooms and was able to save up enough get out of the shelter. He wasn't an American. I don't know if he had nationalized to the States or not.

Most of the American-born and -raised people in the shelter had entitlement attitudes. That, coupled with a very strong sense of pride in themselves, would keep them from doing demeaning work.

This isn't the attitude of all of the guys, but it was of most of them. I could tell you the stories I heard from the guy who cleaned the booths in a strip club, but as that's horrifically foul, I'll pass. He was an American. He also didn't make minimum wage. But he was trying, which was rare from what I saw.

Comment

It's a bit of column A and some from column B.

There are a lot of cases where people won't take perfectly good jobs at reasonable wages because it is somehow "beneath" them to do so. I've known some. I think they all deserve whatever they've got coming to them.

I've also known a number of women who worked nearly full time as babysitters, maids and housekeepers who have, over the years, lost their positions to women who would work for far below the going rate because the people doing the hiring had no qualms whatsoever about hiring illegals to do those jobs. A few of them got their revenge, however, when they reported them for doing so.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Hobgoblin View Post
        I could tell you the stories I heard from the guy who cleaned the booths in a strip club, but as that's horrifically foul, I'll pass.

I'd need a Haz-Mat suit and a fire hose, thanks very much.
        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          You know what the best part about moving to Canada was, being able to call out racists who ragged on "immagrants" stealing their jobs... When I would point out that I was trying to immgrate they would stammer that I was the "right kind" of immigrant

to which I would reply, so they need blonde hair and blue eyes then?

I have never shut people up so quickly
          Niiiice!

I am SO using that when I go to the U.S. in the not too distant future.

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
            A racist playing the race card. Lovely.

As Doc Holliday said, "My hypocrisy knows no bounds."
            Um, don't you know? It's impossible to be black and racist. Heck, for that matter, it's ONLY possible to be racist if you're white! For proof, read all the "your racist, you won't serve Blacks" posts.

(End of sarcastic reply.)

That does really piss me off -- the thought that the only possible racist is a white person who doesn't kowtow to any other race, and doesn't put the "victim" race ahead of those who are ahead of them in line. If you want to be treated equally, wait your f'ing turn!
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
            X