X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food allergies can go f*ck themselves

Or, I think I give up on eating out.

And that fucking sucks.

I have a severe allergy to tomatoes, and a less severe allergy to eggplant. The eggplant allergy still causes anaphylaxis, but it's not as severe of a reaction. Also, eggplant isn't as common as tomatoes. Tomatoes are EVERYWHERE.

I've had a few extremely severe reactions which required my ass being hauled out of restaurants and bars in ambulances. A few of my friends were joking around on my facebook last night about being in the "Watch mathnerd stab herself and call 911" club. Unfortunately, they had to welcome the newest member to the club.

Thursday I was at a bar I've eaten at several times before with no issues. The food is good and the kitchen staff is normally fantastic. I could try to analyze what happened, but I think I'll chalk this one up to "shit happens". Anyway, I realized I was having trouble breathing and gave myself my epipen. After 5 minutes, I was still having trouble (and it was actually getting a little worse), so I gave myself the second one and directed my companion to call 911.

The paramedic that assessed me took about 2.3 seconds to decide I was going to the hospital. Well no shit! I know a lot of people fight going to the hospital after a reaction, but my personal rule is that if I need the second shot, I go to the hospital. Period. I do have a history of rebound reactions, so it's a good idea to have actual doctors watching me while I recover. Anyway, my memory of the ambulance ride is kinda fuzzy. I remember the paramedic putting a couple different meds into the IV and switching out the straight oxygen mask to O2 plus albuterol. I sort of remember being handed off to the ER docs and having even more drugs shot into the IV. There's quite a bit of time in between those two things that I don't remember. I actually don't even remember getting into the ambulance. I remember the paramedic helping me out of my chair and I remember being in the ambulance, but I don't remember getting from point A to point B.

Anyway, they got everything under control, watched me for about an hour, and then sent me home. I was kinda surprised that they sent me home so soon (I was expecting closer to about two hours, considering all the drugs they'd injected into me). But, anyway, my friend came and got me and we went back home.

So, that was Thursday night. As late as last night (Saturday) I still felt like I had a truck sitting on my chest. I have no idea why, but my chest feels like it's bruised, and badly bruised at that. This morning it isn't as bad, but still sore. I've been sore in the past after a reaction, but nothing like this. I'm wondering what happened during those moments where I have no clear memory. Did they have to do something that would have caused bruising between my boobs? I have no idea.

Suffice it to say, this is one of the worst reactions I've ever had. It wasn't the worst, since I didn't have to be intubated, but it was pretty bad. I'm not even sure I should even try to eat out any more. And that will suck. Why? Because I freaking hate cooking. Plus, I like to eat out. I know I'll keep eating out at my regular bar near my own home, since they're one of the places I've been hauled out of (years ago), they take it very seriously. I've watched what they do if I order food, and I'm confident that I'm safe there. Everywhere else? I'm not so sure. And I'm not happy. This fucking sucks.

And now I'm done whining. Thanks for listening!
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
    Did they have to do something that would have caused bruising between my boobs? I have no idea.
    Maybe a sternal rub? Not used much in the UK now for that exact reason.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Maybe a sternal rub? Not used much in the UK now for that exact reason.

It's possible. I plan on contacting the hospital and asking for my medical records to find out.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

WOW, that really sucks! Have you looked into desensitization? You might be able to tolerate a small bit of tomato and not fear the attack of the killer tomatos.
        No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

BeeMused, that's not an option, unfortunately. The last time I had allergy testing done (to see if there were any new allergies), I actually had an anaphylaxis reaction to the skin prick test for tomatoes. Why the doc did the tomato prick when we already knew an allergy existed, I have no idea, but he did.

Also, I react this badly to just cross-contamination. This last reaction could have been as simple as the cook was handling tomatoes before preparing my food and didn't change his gloves before he touched my food. It takes an extraordinarily small amount of tomato to cause a reaction in me. This is why I'm considering giving up on eating out entirely.

Comment

One word summary: Damn!
            Hopefully medical science will soon find ways to help severe allergy sufferers like you.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Perhaps you and your friends could plan to have group dinner parties, with those of you who hate cooking agreeing to do other things - bring drinks, do the washing up, whatever will help.

I have this vague idea that you're a friend of Jester's and live near him. Jester's a caring sort, at least of friends and family, and loves to cook. I'm sure he can come up with tomato-free jambalaya and other tasty treats.

Find out if any of your friends have allergen-catering certifications, and are willing to help your other friends to learn how to cook safely for you.

And figure out what you can do for them in return.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Perhaps you and your friends could plan to have group dinner parties, with those of you who hate cooking agreeing to do other things - bring drinks, do the washing up, whatever will help.

I have this vague idea that you're a friend of Jester's and live near him. Jester's a caring sort, at least of friends and family, and loves to cook. I'm sure he can come up with tomato-free jambalaya and other tasty treats.

Find out if any of your friends have allergen-catering certifications, and are willing to help your other friends to learn how to cook safely for you.

And figure out what you can do for them in return.
                Jester and I are friends. And he's already come up with a tomato free spaghetti sauce that's freaking fantastic! It's red pepper based, and it honestly tastes like real spaghetti. He's cooked for me several times, and it's always very good. Though we don't live terribly close. It's a three hour drive between his place and mine, though recently I've had reason to be in Key West every couple weeks, which is a little more frequent than is usual for me. I have a job offer down there, and depending on finding housing, I'll be moving.

As for the dinner party idea: That's fantastic! I hadn't thought of doing something like that. Maybe I can convince Jester to join my friends and I in Miami for a dinner/cooking party. I can do the desserts. As much as I hate cooking, I love to bake.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  As much as I hate cooking, I love to bake.
                  Do you like roasting and savoury baking? Noone ever said all your meals had to be cooktop meals... oven meals can be perfectly healthy!

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Most of the cooking I do actually meets that description. I'm still not a fan. Obviously, I do cook, as I have kids and can't afford to eat out for every meal, but I simply don't enjoy working with meats and veggies and such. I like baking desserts and breads. I'm not sure what the difference is, but it is what it is.

For the most part, I'm just whining. As a friend pointed out, I don't have to swear off eating out entirely. Most Asian places wouldn't even have tomatoes on the premises, though some would have eggplant. Also, I could have been more assertive Thursday night. I did tell the bartender that it was an allergy, but I didn't go through my normal (and obnoxious) speal about it. The other times I've been in that bar I've had a different bartender serving me, and he normally goes back into the kitchen himself to advise the kitchen.

Honestly, I kinda get why wait staff and kitchen staff don't always take allergy alerts seriously. Far to many SC's use "allergy" as an excuse when it's just something they don't like. Then, if a mistake happens, they just pull the offending food off their plate and eat it anyway. For somebody like me, that's not possible, but restaurant staffs don't actually see that kind of reaction very often. I guarantee that the staff that was on duty that night will NEVER make that mistake again. I've been told that it's pretty scary to watch. I actually don't know what it looks like, since I'm normally too focused on trying to breathe. Though I have to give kudos to my dining companion. He stayed calm enough that the paramedics even commented on how together he was. I don't exactly recall what the guy said, but I do remember him saying something to that effect.

Comment

Try using a crockpot also. I don't really like cooking myself and a crock pot is a nice easy method for me. Prepare the stuff, toss it in, turn it on for however long and serve. very little actual work, but good foods. I make all kinds of stuff in a crock pot including breakfast (layer meat <ham or sausage is my pref> taters <I like the frozen hash browns>, veggies like bell peppers if you like and pour your egg mixture over it with whatever spices you like in the egg mixture. Cook on low for about 6-8 hrs <experiment first time>. nice hot breakfast when you get up. and roasts and stews and chili and spaghettis and ....

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        For somebody like me, that's not possible, but restaurant staffs don't actually see that kind of reaction very often. I guarantee that the staff that was on duty that night will NEVER make that mistake again. I've been told that it's pretty scary to watch.
                        I've seen my husband de-oxygenate with cardiac shock; it's an awful, awful sight, and he has an awful smell about him when it happens, as well. I have no idea if anaphylaxis produces the same effect or a different one, but if it's equally horrible - yeah, noone present will EVER forget it.

I think you'll be safe to eat at that place until the staff changes; and even then, as long as you make sure one of the staff who was present that night knows the meal is for you, you'll be safe.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                          I've been told that it's pretty scary to watch. I actually don't know what it looks like, since I'm normally too focused on trying to breathe.
                          If you're really curious, check YouTube for something happening at the bar you went to: it's possible someone had a cellphone and recorded it once they realized an ambulance was being called. At the very least you might find a recording of someone else having a similar reaction. People can be sick voyeurs when stuff like that is happening.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                            Try using a crockpot also. I don't really like cooking myself and a crock pot is a nice easy method for me. Prepare the stuff, toss it in, turn it on for however long and serve. very little actual work, but good foods. I make all kinds of stuff in a crock pot including breakfast (layer meat <ham or sausage is my pref> taters <I like the frozen hash browns>, veggies like bell peppers if you like and pour your egg mixture over it with whatever spices you like in the egg mixture. Cook on low for about 6-8 hrs <experiment first time>. nice hot breakfast when you get up. and roasts and stews and chili and spaghettis and ....
                            I keep promising myself that I'll get organized enough to use my crock pot more often. I really need to keep that promise to myself. I just never seems to happen.

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            If you're really curious, check YouTube for something happening at the bar you went to: it's possible someone had a cellphone and recorded it once they realized an ambulance was being called. At the very least you might find a recording of someone else having a similar reaction. People can be sick voyeurs when stuff like that is happening.
                            Now there's a thought. Though I think I'd want to see a video of it happening to somebody else. I don't like videos of me on a good day, and this was definitely not a good day.

Actually, the whole day was kind of rough. I'd started out the day with my regular morning run, but since I wasn't near home I was running on unfamiliar sidewalks (as opposed to the regular asphalt roads I run on at home), and I found a crack in the sidewalk the hard way. I went down pretty hard, but only hard enough to give myself smallish road rash spot on one knee and some bruising on both knees, shins and hands. There was also an embarrassing moment involving (new, unworn) panties on a bar floor. Maybe I should have just stayed home that day.

Comment

Not sure if it would help or not but maybe having some sort of medical alert bracelet for when you go to restaurants that you could point at might help them take the allergy seriously? Or calling ahead of time to double check to see if they think it would be a problem.
                              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                              X