Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behind the Counter: Adventures in Dispensing. Episode II.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the Counter: Adventures in Dispensing. Episode II.

The second in an irregular series of posts, because I can't be arsed to set up my own blog (and because who'd read it anyway, besides you guys, so I might as well just post it here to begin with).

So weird things happen in pharmacies. Mine is no exception.

So if you want me to dispense that, why don't you prescribe it? Part II

I've ranted about the "Notes" field on our e-scripts before. Background: The Notes field on our e-scripts doesn't show up on the main dispensing screen. It prints out on the hard copy, but if you want to see it on the screen you have to click on a button and then select a tab on the window that pops up. If you don't do that, you don't actually get to see the notes until you're checking the script, at which point it might be too late.

So. This was Monday evening. Patient gets a few scripts e-prescribed from the doctor's office. One of them is for omeprazole 20mg. Script gets typed and filled, and as I'm checking the prescription against the hard copy, I happen to notice the following text in the Notes field:

for treatment of h. pylori with flagyl+biaxin
    So just what does the doctor mean by this?

Is this merely informing us of what the patient is taking it for? Is it telling us that the doctor has provided the patient with the two stated antibiotics? Or is it the doctor's backhanded way of telling us that he wants us to dispense them? And if the latter, what dosages? (Sure, I know it's clarithromycin 500 BID and metronidazole 250mg QID, but he has to be the one say that, not me. I don't have prescriptive authority in this state.)

Tried calling the doctor: gone for the day. I left a note for the daytime pharmacist to call the doctor Tuesday morning, and sure enough, it was the latter. He sent us two more e-scripts for the antibiotics.

Sorry, doc. I can't read minds.

That's not a new printer

This one maybe belongs in Unsupportable, and I'll probably rant about it there with more detail in a couple days, but the cliff's notes version is: Our printer died on Monday. They overnighted us another one which we installed Tuesday. Note I don't say "a new one". I noticed that the chrome trim on the top of this printer, where the paper slides over it, was somewhat worn down on the edges. Takes a lot of paper sliding by to wear out chrome, but I didn't realise exactly how much, until I printed a test sheet and noticed the page count at the top of it.

Something over 625,000 pages have gone through this printer since it left the factory.

I wonder how much longer it's going to last.

One reason pharmacists haven't been replaced by machines yet

One of the doctors in the village hasn't really gotten comfortable with e-prescribing, so he mostly still handwrites his prescriptions. (He doesn't even have such terrible handwriting, I just wish he'd quit writing prescriptions in broad-tip magic marker. Most of the time, though, one of the office workers writes the script out for him.)

So we get this written prescription from his office today. Zithromax 250mg, 1 teaspoonful daily x10 days. OK, there's two problems with that. First, the 250mg dosage is a tablet, not a teaspoonful; the liquids come in 100 and 200 mg per teaspoon. The patient is a 3-year-old child, and can't swallow tablets yet. I could possibly see them wanting to use that many milligrams if it's a severe infection, but it should still have been written as Zithromax 200mg/5ml, give 6 ml daily for, uh, how many days . . . ?

Which brings us to the other problem: you don't take Zithromax for 10 days regardless. It's almost always five days, rarely three. Not ten.

So we call the doctor to find out what exactly we're supposed to do with this, and they inform us that it's not supposed to be Zithromax at all, despite that being clearly legible on the paper. No, it was supposed to have been Omnicef suspension. Which does come in 250mg/teaspoon, and is taken for 10 days.

If it wasn't covered last month, what makes you think it's gonna be covered this month?

Patient gets an e-script for clindamycin foam. This costs a couple hundred dollars, even for the generic. I try filling it; insurance rejects it as non-formulary, suggests using the gel or lotion instead.

I check his profile, he had the same thing prescribed end of November. It didn't go through then either.

Einstein defines insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

There ain't no sich animal.

This is a short one. Someone came over to the counter and asked for "non-drowsy Benadryl".

Yeah, good luck finding that.
    Last edited by Shalom; 12-26-2013, 03:51 AM.

Quoth Shalom View Post
    This is a short one. Someone came over to the counter and asked for "non-drowsy Benadryl".

Wouldn't that be great, though? One dose of Benadryl basically incapacitates me. If I can stay awake, I'm all but drooling on myself.
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

You are not alone, man. It's a fairly regular occurrence for us to get a call from the floor or a doctor demanding to know why we haven't done so-and-so's test. Well, it never got ordered in the computer, so we never knew about it. And then somehow it gets ordered STAT. And incorrectly.
      Last edited by MadMike; 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

With my younger sister, it's all non drowsy Benadryl. Instead of knocking her out it has her bouncing off the walls. My brother-in-law once said that he found her putting new wallpaper in the bathroom in the middle of the night after she took some Benadryl.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
          With my younger sister, it's all non drowsy Benadryl. Instead of knocking her out it has her bouncing off the walls. My brother-in-law once said that he found her putting new wallpaper in the bathroom in the middle of the night after she took some Benadryl.
          How long did she take Benadryl for it to become non-drowsy for her? I've only stopped taking it a few months ago, but before that, I used it as a sleep-aid almost every night for 16 years.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
            Wouldn't that be great, though? One dose of Benadryl basically incapacitates me. If I can stay awake, I'm all but drooling on myself.
            Benadryl knocks me senseless...unless, of course, I take it right before bedtime. Then I'm awake all night long.
            Last edited by XCashier; 12-28-2013, 11:06 PM. Reason: corrected tense
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
              How long did she take Benadryl for it to become non-drowsy for her? I've only stopped taking it a few months ago, but before that, I used it as a sleep-aid almost every night for 16 years.
              It can happen. Some people just have odd reactions to meds. Myself, I can't take Sudafed and drive, because it just knocks me right out, which is the opposite effect it should have, I'm told.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'll get up around 8am, drink a full pot (12 "cups") of coffee through the day, 8PM-1AM gig as live jukebox at the bar (4-6 large Cokes), get home around two and sleep like a baby. I wouldn't wake up till 10 or so if it wasn't for the hydraulic pressure threatening to blow something off...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  It can happen. Some people just have odd reactions to meds. Myself, I can't take Sudafed and drive, because it just knocks me right out, which is the opposite effect it should have, I'm told.
                  I can sympathize! For me, taking Sudafed on an empty stomach promptly and precisely replicates stomach flu - chills, nausea, the works. I just can't ever take it without eating something alongside.
                  Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                  They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    There ain't no sich animal.

I had to look up Benadryl to check what you guys were on about. Over here Benadryl consists of cough medicines, not antihistamines and they're non-drowsy.

I wonder if the customer was after an antihistamine but found Benadryl to be easier to pronounce or was using it as a metonym (where the brand name of the product is used to describe similar products in question ie Wite-Out, Kleenex etc.)
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Cindy, my sister has had that reaction to Benadryl from the first time she took it as far as I can remember. Sometimes people have unusual reactions to medication. For example, Claritin is supposed to be non drowsy, yet it will put me to sleep in no time flat. I found this out back when it was prescription only. After I woke up, I asked the pharmacist if drowsiness was a normal reaction. He said it was extremely rare and apparently I was one of the extremely rare cases.
                      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Benadryl knocks me senseless. A couple weeks ago I had an allergic reaction that required 4 or 5 doses of epi, several albuterol treatments and deity knows how many steroids to get under control. All that should have had me wired. They also gave me a massive dose of IV benadryl. Knocked me out completely.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Non-drowsy antihistamines usually put me to sleep.

Sleep-causing antihistamines usually don't.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            I'm not in the medical field, but from what I've read it's relatively common for children to have opposite effects from what happens when adults take the same medication. You've probably heard about kids with ADHD being given Ritalin to calm them down. IIRC (been a while since I saw the article), the generic name for Ritalin is "mixed amphetamine salts". Amphetamines are not normally considered to be tranquilzers.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I'm not in the medical field, but from what I've read it's relatively common for children to have opposite effects from what happens when adults take the same medication. You've probably heard about kids with ADHD being given Ritalin to calm them down. IIRC (been a while since I saw the article), the generic name for Ritalin is "mixed amphetamine salts". Amphetamines are not normally considered to be tranquilzers.
                              Pharmacology is not my strong point, but I believe the principle is the same as us drinking coffee/energy drinks before doing an essay. It's not that it calms them down per say, but allows them to direct that energy into focussing.

Comment

Working...
                              X