X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, my meat!

Shoplifting is an art form.

After several years of dealing with it, I've realized that the range of a lifter's medium is not limited to comparing kindergarten crayon drawings to Picasso.

No, the lifter will rip open packets of garden seeds and pour them in a pocket, snack on crackers and smoked oysters only to leave the remains to be pieced together hours later by head-shaking employees of the establishment or boldly go where only an adrenaline rush supplies the proper fuel.

Sometimes they create works of art that they had not intended.

Self-service checkout stands are common now. When they were new features, many "what ifs" were circulating on both sides of the retail experience.

Take, for instance, the young gentleman who decided to stuff several cellophane-wrapped, family pack sized steaks into his trousers.

I was leaving for the day and (being a geek) decided to help check out the new equipment by using it for my purchase.

All of the terminals were occupied with customers who were willing to avoid the lines, make their purchases and go on about their business.

I heard something that sounded like a small caliber weapon being discharged and turned to see a young man doubled over with blood on his shirt near the waist.

My first impulse was to offer first aid. As several people and I rushed to aid, he waved us off and said that he had only dropped his change. At this point, heads were swiveling all around in search of "the shooter".

As the "victim" stood, another "crack" was heard and blood began running down his leg. Then I saw a bulge under his shirt. In my off-duty mind, that bulge was an intestinal rupture. I went in to help keep his guts in place until the paramedics arrived.

That's when I felt something that was oddly firm and too geometrically shaped to be protruding intestines.

He had stuffed cellophane-wrapped, bloody meat in a styrofoam tray into his pants, bent over to pick up a coin he'd dropped (from his legitimate purchase), snapped the tray (gunshot) releasing the blood from his pilfered cow meat.

It was difficult to shift from "concerned citizen" to "laughing clown" but I managed to get through the ordeal.

"Don't Panic"

I'm all over that philosophy.
    Last edited by Koliedrus; 07-06-2007, 03:47 PM.

That's hilarious.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

LOL, that is just brilliant! I'm assuming LP took him away for a little talk with the boys in blue?
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

The costs

Quoth iradney View Post
        LOL, that is just brilliant! I'm assuming LP took him away for a little talk with the boys in blue?
        Even if he got away the costs of cleaning out the blood will be more than the meat is worth.

Comment

wow that plan backfired, huh? too funny! Did the other customers give him a hard time? I'd be pretty pissed that I went to help someone and found out they were stealing - or I'd be laughing a lot!

Comment

That is too funny. So, you mean to say that he stuffed this meat into his clothing, and yet stayed around to pay for his other items? Plus, the fact he found it very important to pick up his coins? Poor planning there.

Comment

You've all asked and answered questions for me. Thank you.

I will mention as an addendum that my laugh muscle was incapacitated during the ordeal because of my own increased level of adrenaline. Keep in mind what I was expecting when I began applying pressure to his abdominal region.

I didn't begin laughing uncontrollably until I made it home safely. During the drive, I had to keep thinking these thoughts:

"If I lose it now, someone will die.
              No one got hurt. Keep it that way.
              Stop thinking about Chuck blowing milk out of his nose in fourth grade."

And wouldn't you know it? I actually sat down, cracked open a beer and took a gulp before it all came to a head.

I did a pretty good Chuck impression, though. And I got a new keyboard out of the deal. Well, that was actually a necessity.

Comment

Quoth Koliedrus View Post

I did a pretty good Chuck impression, though. And I got a new keyboard out of the deal. Well, that was actually a necessity.
                always remember rule #1
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                  I'd be pretty pissed that I went to help someone and found out they were stealing - or I'd be laughing a lot!
                  Same here. <----------that would be me

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  always remember rule #1
                  And an unrelated rule #8!!!!!!!!
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    Same here. <----------that would be me

And an unrelated rule #8!!!!!!!!
                    Are these rules actually written down somewhere?? Or are they just understood?
                    What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth mischugenah View Post
                      Are these rules actually written down somewhere?? Or are they just understood?
                      There used to be a copy of them somewhere, many moons ago. But then, one day, Raps got the munchies and ate all of them but #1, which we keep safely tucked away in an undisclosed location.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

And the rule #8 is from SC's Guide to Supermarket Shopping by our very own BeckySunshine, and can be found here in the Sucky Customers area. (I tried to link to it, but couldn't figure it out.)
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Don't look at me...every time I manage to drop a link in correctly, I don't have a clue as to how I do it.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

El Linko:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=2211
                            "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                              There used to be a copy of them somewhere, many moons ago. But then, one day, Raps got the munchies and ate all of them but #1, which we keep safely tucked away in an undisclosed location.
                              And, for reference, Rule #1 is as follows: Do not drink anything while reading the forums, because keyboards and monitors don't like getting wet.

Hence the referenced emoticon following many mentions of Rule #1 violation.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X