This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call your congressman...

I admit it. I probably was a little blunt with this guy...but, jeez he was an ass.

Starring...the lovely and talented DesignFox and Some random Jerk.

This guy comes in to upgrade 2 lines. We have certain stereotypes here in Jersey. I see this might be one of them. I hate it, but I'm right. He begins to haggle with me. First we haggle over phone prices for a good I don't know how long. I call the manager twice to get pricing for him. Of course, this guy wants a Krzr and Razr, and he wants to pay nothing for them. I get bottom line prices from my manager, and this guy continues to hem and haw. Finally, he calls some other guy- who he is on the phone with for about 20 mins or so. He apparently priced out with our customer service, and he's arguing with me that they offer him the same price, and I'm not giving him a deal. I have to argue with him that, indeed, they may have offered him the same price, but either way, it is the DISCOUNTED price. (I gave him $100 bucks off the Krzr, and the Razr FREE after rebate- I mean, DAMN, give me a break).

We finally get through all that. Then the kid who is with him can't decide between blue or black. Take forever...ask my opinion. Finally, we make decisions on the phone's color. THEN this idiot tries to get me to give him the V3xx for the price of the V3. um...no. I quoted you a price on the V3, that's what you're getting.

Finally, I get to do the activations themselves. And we make some decisions on features...etc.

Then this guy has to haggle over accessories. Now, it's not like I CAN'T give him car chargers for free- for most people I would automatically... but, at this point, I'm annoyed at all the haggling that's already gone on, and frankly, for everything I give this guy free, I lose money. Since he added a feature to his account though, I cave and give him free car chargers.

I go to ring the total...and NOW he feels the need to argue over sales tax. Are you freaking kidding me? (I think in my head) I tell him that I must charge him tax, I am not lowering the price anymore. He argues again that I should charge him an even amount for everything and kick off the sales tax. I just walk away and charge him the full amount with tax. He continues to complain while I'm running the credit card, so I tell him point blank- "If you don't like the sales tax, write your congressman. I am not waiving it, as we have to pay it by law." I get the credit slip...

He signs the credit slip and complains AGAIN about my having charged him tax. Then starts to ask about bluetooth headsets. I flat out tell him he's not getting one free, but if he wants a slight discount is possible. When he finds out the price, he declines (of course) and asks for a wired ear bud. Earlier, I had offered him a half off discount for accessories, so of course he reminds me of this and gets that.

He tries to haggle with me over tax again. The total was 10.70...he didn't want to pay me the measley 70 cents, and tries to hand me 10 bucks. I tell him again, it's 10.70. He tells me he doesn't have 70 cents, he only has 35. I tell him that I can break his 20 (he had a 20 bill out on the table) or I can charge his credit card again.

Him- "But I don't want to do a second transaction with my card; you're going to make me break a 20 over 35 cents?"

Me-"Yes, I am. I am required by law to charge you sales tax. You need to pay it."

Him- "Ok. But you should help me out. I have a big family. You should give me a deal, and not charge the tax. I guess you're accounting would be off if I don't give it to you, is that it?."

Me- "Yes, and I am not allowed to have that happen."

I finally get him to pay and get rid of his ass.

I'm just proud of myself that I stuck to it, and didn't give in to his shit. I mean...really... I just GAVE the guy 2 chargers for free, $150 off the price of the phones, and an ear bud for 1/2 price! and it's not like he didn't physically HAVE the cash!

Ugh I hate people sometimes.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Some people think it's worth the time to haggle over pennies, when they don't realize that the time it takes is worth more than the money itself.

How the &#$@ has this person been getting by if he thinks sales tax is an unreasonable charge?

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
      How the &#$@ has this person been getting by if he thinks sales tax is an unreasonable charge?
      maybe someone else does his shopping for him?
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
        Him- "Ok. But you should help me out. I have a big family.
        Must have haggled too much over the price of condoms. Too bad for the rest of us.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          Must have haggled too much over the price of condoms. Too bad for the rest of us.
          crap crap crap, there goes rule one down the drain!
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Thanks Wagegoth, I needed that!
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
              If you don't like the sales tax, write your congressman. I am not waiving it, as we have to pay it by law.
              Please don't tell them to do that, I have to answer the phone for one part time.
              It's a very valuable learning experience having people call up and demand we do something because they bought a lemon of a car even though it had failed inspection from the mechanic they had picked out themselves.

On a different note who haggles these days? Most prices are pretty much fixed and he probably would have gotten a good deal either way.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

If he has a big family, what is he doing spending money on a cell phone for his kid in the first place? Make the kid work and pay for his own phone.

My parents couldn't afford a computer for me because we had a large family, so I worked and got my own. It certainly taught me some responsibility.

Comment

I don't haggle, period. Even if I'm at a yard sale or a Persian bazaar. You tell me how much its worth, I'll decide if I want it. If I do, I'll give you that amount of money. End of deal. =p

But yes, who the hell haggles these days? 99% of stores have fixed prices on everything. ( The other 1% being used car lots and apparently DesignFox's store ^^ ). Unless you're standing on someone's lawn or there's a fat man sitting on a rug with a monkey nearby, haggling shouldn't even be an option.

You should have given him the genuine experience and offered it too him for $100 off if he threw in two cows, kilo of rice and the hand of his first born daughter in marriage.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                    Unless you're standing on someone's lawn or there's a fat man sitting on a rug with a monkey nearby

You should have given him the genuine experience and offered it too him for $100 off if he threw in two cows, kilo of rice and the hand of his first born daughter in marriage.
                    How much for the monkey and is he wearing a fez?

I'd rather have 3 cows and no daughter, chances are she'd take after him.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                      How much for the monkey and is he wearing a fez?

I'd rather have 3 cows and no daughter, chances are she'd take after him.
                      The original offer may count as 3 cows as is.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        But yes, who the hell haggles these days? 99% of stores have fixed prices on everything. ( The other 1% being used car lots and apparently DesignFox's store ^^ ). Unless you're standing on someone's lawn or there's a fat man sitting on a rug with a monkey nearby, haggling shouldn't even be an option.
                        The cell phone business is fiercely competitive, since providers are under such pressure to sign up new activations and retain existing customers, they will sometimes negotiate a fair bit to accomplish those goals.

At the call centre I get people who call in after getting everything set up at a store and expect ME to cut them some kind of deal after the fact.

Comment

I haggle if I'm dealing one-on-one with someone... if I'm dealing with a full-fledged business (and no, I don't consider most of the people at flea markets and swap meets full-fledged businesses), then I'll pay what's asked, no questions.

And even in situations where I try to haggle a better deal, if the person says that there's no haggling, then I stop asking, and either take the item at the offered price, or turn it down and move along.

In comparison, when I'm working my novelties booth at conventions, I set my prices a little higher than they need to be, so that people can haggle with me if they want to. Doesn't happen often, though.

Comment

At regular retail places, I just pay the posted price.

For things like my cell phone and when I got my storage unit, I asked what kind of deal they could give me and in both instances, I was quite pleased with the result.

At some dealer room tables at conventions (only some), I'll ask if I can get a deal on larger purchases. At swap meets, I'll sometimes make an offer below the asking price, but once it's shot down, I don't try a second time. I either pay the asking price or move along.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              For things like my cell phone and when I got my storage unit, I asked what kind of deal they could give me and in both instances, I was quite pleased with the result.
                              Always a great thing to do when you THINK you might be able to haggle but aren't sure.

I got a ring (I still wear it to this day) several years ago at a silver shop in the mall. All I had to spend was $20 and the price was $22 + tax. I mentioned it to the owner in a "Dangit, I'm 3 bucks short" kinda way, and he told me he'd take what I had. Color me happy!
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X