This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me build a couple computers...

This might be a bit of a big ask for the forum, but here's the best place as i want to keep one of them a surprise for my were.

So, both will be using mini-ITX boards, and both will have Linux, Ubuntu for the personal, and OpenELEC for the entertainment unit.

E unit:
    A VCR will be gutted to serve as the case, only potential problem seen is a power supply might not fit in there requiring a external power supply. I'm figuring on running two drives, one for general media/OS/file storage, prolly 500G or so, and a second for DVR purposes. Two questions here, how big should the DVR drive be, and any brand recommendations out there? Any recommendations on a DVD drive? Will a Celeron cut it for processor choice? How much memory should i expect to need? It'll mostly serve up network websites and Netflix, along with the occasional general web and email use. I think that's all the questions i have although i might've over looked something.

Personal unit:
    Having run Ubuntu on an eMachines D525 laptop, it looks like its adequate for my needs, so i'll prolly pick a board with similar specs, but i'm open to better ideas. The case'll be a Commodore 1541, so the power supply will definitely be external, would this cut it: http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/C...l/Page_05.html ? I kinda like the idea of using a Commodore supply for obvious reasons. Once again, recommendations on memory and DVD brand would be appreciated. We're considering running an SSD for this system, or two (depends on cost and reliability), my current iMac uses about 375G of storage space, and this one will likely use less (media files off loaded to the E Unit, plus a leaner OS). Anything else i might've forgotten?

Any hoo, thanks in advance
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Right...

First of all, if you're building a HTPC type machine, you're going to want a GPU that's good at handling video, both decode and transcode. Some of the Intel CPUs have QuickSync, which is a transcoding accelerator. You want that - so don't buy a CPU without making sure it has it. I think that if it has QuickSync, it'll also do anything else video-related without much trouble.

Just don't try to play games on an Intel GPU. You won't be pleased.

Video takes up tons and tons of disk space. Get the biggest disk you can to store it - there are quite a few 4TB+ options now. If you can get Hitachi, do so - otherwise I'd suggest Seagate. Some others might disagree, but in my experience Seagate's reliability is reasonably good, and impending failures give enough warning to let you pull the data off.

I don't have much recent experience with DVD drives. Plextor at least used to be the Rolls-Royce equivalent, but I never got the chance to own one. The rest are more or less equivalent to each other, I think.

RAM is also a big "they're all the same" area, outside the enthusiast levels. Insist on a lifetime warranty, then pick the best speed your CPU does, and a total capacity, and start comparing prices. Note that you often get discounts on pairs, triples and quad packs here; check how many channels your CPU has and aim to buy the same number of sticks in total.

Comment

Hitachi has rebranded as HGST when it was bought by Western Digital, but is run as a competing company to WD. The information I've seen specificaly states recnt 3TB Seagate drives as being dodgy, but as a brand otherwise good.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Also investigate if a SFX form factor power supply will fit the VCR case.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

There's another option that might be more versatile....

I've got a NAS set up and using a Raspberry PI 2 B as the media player with OpenELEC on it.

The advantages are:

1) NAS - always a good setup with multiple machines in the place.
          2) Price - the PI is $80 CAD and that's (almost) ready to go. Put the PI in the case, insert the SD card and plug it in.
          3) Ease of use - 4 USB ports and an Android/iOS app as a remote.
          4) Power - uses about the same as a cell phone charger
          5) Expansion - Again - USB ports for external DVD/BR or hard drives.
          6) Size - think a deck of playing cards with cables.

Just a thought

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Actually, Blu-ray drives are getting reasonably priced now. Even Blu-ray *burners*. So you might want one of those instead of a DVD.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
              Right...

First of all, if you're building a HTPC type machine, you're going to want a GPU that's good at handling video, both decode and transcode. Some of the Intel CPUs have QuickSync, which is a transcoding accelerator. You want that - so don't buy a CPU without making sure it has it. I think that if it has QuickSync, it'll also do anything else video-related without much trouble.

Just don't try to play games on an Intel GPU. You won't be pleased.
              Ok, one of the HTPC systems on mini-ITX use an EPIA-M board, but i don't understand what processor it uses, its built in and seems to be something special. I suppose the simple question would be would a Celeron cut it as those seem to be the most common processor that comes built in.

[/quote]Video takes up tons and tons of disk space. Get the biggest disk you can to store it - there are quite a few 4TB+ options now. If you can get Hitachi, do so - otherwise I'd suggest Seagate. Some others might disagree, but in my experience Seagate's reliability is reasonably good, and impending failures give enough warning to let you pull the data off.

I don't have much recent experience with DVD drives. Plextor at least used to be the Rolls-Royce equivalent, but I never got the chance to own one. The rest are more or less equivalent to each other, I think.[/quote]

Ok, brands are still the same for HDs, i've heard those recommendations in the past. Ok, this is my first build, so my main concern was whether or not there are any brands that are notoriously bad or good, so it sounds like i don't need to worry 'bout much more than the size and price here.

RAM is also a big "they're all the same" area, outside the enthusiast levels. Insist on a lifetime warranty, then pick the best speed your CPU does, and a total capacity, and start comparing prices. Note that you often get discounts on pairs, triples and quad packs here; check how many channels your CPU has and aim to buy the same number of sticks in total.
              Gotcha, most of the usual rules. I was wondering about size, my current system has 4G memory, which doesn't always cut it, but we're talking about a Mac, i suspect that OS X requires a bit more than your average Linux build for both memory and drive size.

Quoth rvdammit View Post
              Also investigate if a SFX form factor power supply will fit the VCR case.
              Thanks, i've found one company that makes both bare power supplies aimed at the mini-ITX market as well as compact ATX cases that look like they'll work fine, but its good to have another angle, thanks.

Quoth Bandit View Post
              There's another option that might be more versatile....

I've got a NAS set up and using a Raspberry PI 2 B as the media player with OpenELEC on it.
              Chuckles, "This might've been a good idea, before i'd bought the case. Plus i'm a bit concerned about the amount of power it has, it seems a very basic low powered device. Speaking of OpenELEC, do you know if it has a browser? I haven't found their site to be particularly helpful on this one, and that's a mission critical feature as CBS makes accessing their content as difficult as possible.

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
              Actually, Blu-ray drives are getting reasonably priced now. Even Blu-ray *burners*. So you might want one of those instead of a DVD.
              Well, i could, but i don't own any Blu-ray discs, and i've not been convinced to upgrade. Heck, i rarely use my current DVDs, but i figure it can't hurt to have a drive for those occasional times when i want to watch something i can't stream.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
              X