This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory problems.

I keep getting a "windows is out of memory" error.

I have cleaned up my HD, checked my virtual memory settings, run two spyware scans, an antivirus scan and run cCleaner and a defrag.

And now I'm stumped.

The problem seems mostly to happen when doing things that require Flash on Chrome.

I checked task manager and my chrome tabs are using a fair bit of memory but nothing i'd say was particularly excessive. In the past I've run many more tabs than i currently have open with no problems.

Suggestions?

I want to avoid taking the darn thing into the computer shop if possible, it's a pain in the rear and funds are low.

What version of Windows are you running? Flash is known to have major memory leaks.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Windows 7 on chrome version 44.0.2403.125 running flash 18.0.0.209

Flash is starting to get on my nerves to be honest.

I've uninstalled a bunch of stuff and adjusted my virtual memory settings again. (They were set to a specific amount before, now i've set it to change depending on what's needed) and i don't seem to be having the problem any more.

I definitely know I need a bigger HD, 80g just isn't cutting it, i have about 3 things installed on here now and that's pushing it, with DH's games he wants to play we'll fill it back up again in no time. *sigh*

I wonder how hard it would be to install a secondary drive...

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
        I wonder how hard it would be to install a secondary drive...
        Generally speaking? Unless it's a laptop or similar device, not very. If you have, say a Dell, the internal configuration may make it a pain to do this, but it should still be possible. Weigh the costs and see if it wouldn't be cheaper/easier to just buy a new system and copy your old data/music/etc over.

Just check first to see what types of drives your system can hold -- these days, generally IDE (aka PATA), though that's older, or SATA I/II/III. Most systems can take a laptop-size HDD with an adaptor. Alternatively, use an external/USB HDD,just remember that they will cost a bit more, and generally be slower due to USB's slower speed. On the upside, USB drives are portable.

If you do this -- maybe consider transferring everything to the new drive, wiping the old one, and installing JUST Windows on the old one, along with a few programs that "expect" to be on the C drive such as MS Office. Ideally, you never want this drive to drop below 30% free space if possible; below 20% will make your system crawl.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Are you running the 32-bit version of W7? You can check by right-clicking "Computer" in the Start menu, selecting "Properties", and seeing what it says under "System type".

Comment

Yup, 32 bit.

Ooh, hey! I have 4Gb of RAM, i thought I only had 2! Nice.

Comment

Keep in mind that, on Win32, only about 3.4 GB of that RAM will be accessible.

If you want more detailed system specs: Look for CPU-ID (aka CPU-Z) or Speccy. The former is more compact (and I think more detailed in some areas); the latter is friendlier and includes temperature readouts.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X