This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard issues

I have a laptop that is less than two months old. Some of the keys don't press as fully as they should (for example, I often find myself having to go back and enter the letters "U", "H," and "D"), and while I was able to detach the keys from my last laptop, get the offending dirt out, and snap the keys back on, this laptop has keys that are extremely flat and close together. An air canister wouldn't work, since the keys are so close together (and pushing down an adjacent key doesn't help), and taking the keys off is incredibly difficult. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I've had a bit of luck using canned air on those, actually -- if you can get the nozzle extension to slide under one end, you MAY be able to blow air all the way thru. Aside from that -- see if they keys are "officially" removable and replaceable, or just look into how much a replacement keyboard for your lappy would cost. It might just be crud under the keys, and it might just be that the membrane underneath is wearing out. That, or pick up a $10 USB keyboard and use that, but only if you don't move the system around too much.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's crud under the keys (ever try to eat a sandwich while juggling a laptop and a baby?), I just don't think any sort of nozzle extension wold fit under the keys. They're packed that tightly.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Well, I have a cat with no comprehension of personal boundar-- HEY! I'm trying to eat here! I just fed you!--ies, so I have an idea. ~_~
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Welp. I broke my U. It works fine but the key is all wobbly now.

Comment

If you check eBay etc. you will likely be able to find a replacement keyboard for not too much money.

Laptop keyboards are usually dead easy to replace. Three or four screw on the bottom, slide the keyboard a bit and pull up. Lift the cable lock up to release it, and the keyboard is out. Reverse to reinstall. Lots of YouTube videos out there to show you how, or post the model of your machine here and someone should be able to tell you how to pull the keyboard from your particular machine.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It doesn't need a replacement keyboard. I mean, I JUST got the thing, and it's just full of sandwich crumbs. I do, however, probably need to replace the little springy structure thing under the U.

Comment

@Erikei I have two of those. Good thing they are cute and cuddly...

Comment

Welp, I'm bringing this back up because it's officially time to replace my keyboard. Two of the little metal loopy-type thingies that keep my space bar down broke and there's no way to fix it without replacing the entire keyboard. Does anyone know any good places to get one?

If it helps, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5308.

Comment

Cheapest I found was $24 for a very, very off-brand one on NewEgg (never even heard of this vendor). Others vary from $40-55ish.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1529-_-Product

Comment

I'm surprised you even managed to find one, I couldn't find a site anywhere that has anything for my model.

Hopefully I can keep Little Ara away from it this time around. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X