This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job, Same Old Weirdness

So I quit the gas station (which is a great story since all of us quit at the same time INCLUDING the manager, ha ha ha, whew, what an adventure...) and got a job at this ADORABLE Five and Dime store here in town. Best of which: THERE'S NO CORPORATE. Just bosses! Yay! And bonus: They all like me and they're all quite fun and sweet. There's an 85 year old woman who's been working for the store for over forty years. It's very fun. Anyways, I digress.

Customers are the same everywhere.

SC: What kind of candy is sweet?
    Me: Uh...ummm...I mean...all of it? We don't have anything over here that isn't at least semi-sweet.
    SC: Oh...okay.

She wanders away, and then the sucky happens when she comes back. She's got a bunch of things from the downstairs part and they have some nooks (they're knick knacks so these things happened to have small pouches). I turn one over and out pops this tiny glass animal that happens to be priced almost at 5 dollars 'cause they're locally made glass art pieces. Not only this but they have a large sign downstairs that says that you can't take them to any other section to cash them out, they must be cashed out DOWNSTAIRS. So I start turning over her other knick knacks and lo and behold these little glass animals start popping out of them...

So not only did this woman try to smuggle these little glass animals out of the store in her other products, now she starts saying that she doesn't want some of them (because they were found, of course and she doesn't want to pay.) So I hand them back to her and, since she reeks of pot I don't want to argue with her, this ensues:

Me: I don't remember how much these are. Could you take them downstairs and ask the employees there how much they are?

This is in an effort to have her either put them back or have the girls downstairs realize she has them and ring her out for them. It doesn't work. Why? Because she comes back upstairs with all of them still in her hand (no more, no less) and hands me the sign with the price on it and marked clearly above it the sentence: "Glass animals must be paid for in this Dept."

I had no words. I rang her up and sent her on her merry way and went downstairs and handed the sign back to them. When they asked why it was upstairs I was so speechless that I just shrugged at them and shook my head.

Kids

So...I don't want kids. Never have wanted kids, most likely will never want kids. I'm not motherly, I don't feel like trying to support a child financially, and if there is anything that could cement me into the position of not wanting to have children, it's working in the toy dept of a five and ten. The sheer quantity and volume of...

"MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY"

...is enough to drive anyone absolutely to the brink of insanity. And then add in the screaming and crying when the child is told "no" that they can't have a Frozen (TM) ornament because 1. it's breakable and 2. it's BREAKABLE. It's absurd the amount of children who need to be taken aside and told that it is unacceptable to speak over people, yell at their parents, demand toys, candy, or money, and any other number of manners.

Parent: Okay now you owe me 18 cents.
    Child: No I don't!
    Me: Be grateful it's 18 cents and make sure to pay your mom back. I owe my parents a thousand dollars. Just you wait.

New Pet Peeve

When I'm down the aisle from the candy department and I see someone (always middle aged to elderly) lift the lid off a jar of chocolate, reach their BARE HAND inside and eat one of the chocolates. WE DO NOT DO SAMPLES. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE HAS TO BE WEIGHED AND PAID FOR. I try to run up to the front when I see it happening and ask if they want something weighed out and I have literally had old people look me in the face with a chocolate covered peanut tucked in their cheek say "oh no, just looking." Yeah. Right. Just looking. Uh huh.

Get. Your. Gross. Ass. Hands. Out. Of. My. Candy.

Quoth Gaki View Post
    So I quit the gas station (which is a great story since all of us quit at the same time INCLUDING the manager, ha ha ha, whew, what an adventure...)
    Looking forward to seeing this one.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Seconded No teasing! ^_^

Gratz to all of you for getting out of the gas station, though!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like you need locking candy jars. At the age of 5 I knew not to just help myself, what's wrong with people?
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          Sounds like you need locking candy jars. At the age of 5 I knew not to just help myself, what's wrong with people?
          Or get the child proof locks, you know lots of adults can't get those open...

There's one grocery store in town that I go to specifically because their bulk section is really good. There are giant notes (official ones, not handwritten) everywhere that say "NO SAMPLES." Based on the shoppers there, I would probably not eat anything from a canister-style container which someone could put their hand in. Almost all of what I buy you push down a lever and it comes down from the top, so no hands. Plus, I mostly buy hot cereal, lentils, sea salt, spices, not candy. But I've read other stories on here about "grazers" in the produce section. Why do they think that's not stealing? Oh, where am I again...
          Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Seconded No teasing! ^_^
            Thirded! I want to hear about this!
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Fourthed!! I love a good escaping the gas station biz story!

Comment

Sad fact: Most of the people that I've seen take "free samples" are older people who, if you tell them not to do it, will rant about how "in THEIR day" stores would ALWAYS give out free samples of candy, fruit, etc, etc, etc.

Very annoying.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Sad fact: Most of the people that I've seen take "free samples" are older people who, if you tell them not to do it, will rant about how "in THEIR day" stores would ALWAYS give out free samples of candy, fruit, etc, etc, etc.
                  That's when you should pull out the Bart Simpson and reply, "Well, it's no longer your day, sir."

Comment

It's no longer your day Sir.
                    "{Store Name} stopped doing that because too many greedy people ate too much of their stock without paying for it."

(Leave out the "greedy" descriptor if you work there, but I'd totally use this if I was in the store as a customer and heard a Moldy Oldy try this).
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

MC - Yeah, stores used to GIVE out free samples; they didn't allow customers to just grab them out of the canisters with their bare hands...Well, I hope they didn't
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You could say, "In MY day, we learned not to stick our hands in someone else's jar without permission."
                        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I finally got around to typing up the Escape story for you guys. Sorry to make you wait so damn long. My gram's getting knee surgery and it's been a pretty rough few days.

Escape from Gas Hell

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            MC - Yeah, stores used to GIVE out free samples; they didn't allow customers to just grab them out of the canisters with their bare hands...Well, I hope they didn't
                            That's what I was thinking! They either had them or you asked to taste something. You didn't just grab whatever you wanted.
                            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                            -----
                            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Very annoying.
                              I don't know your definition of elderly, but back in the 1950's yes samples were given out -- by the staff. Sticking you hand in the jar, bin or containter and grabbing was still stealing.

Comment

Working...
                              X